+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Folks, it is time to face reality.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Folks, it is time to face reality.

Dawg06:

Our RPI in the past few years almost means nothing, because of the impact of the WAC's weak non-conference schedule as a whole.

Even this season, if we could have replaced the non-conference series against Texas-Weslyn and Alcorn with the SunBelt schools we were apparently supposed to play - ULL and WKU - then won six or seven more games - it still would not have put us in position for an at-large bid.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris29 View Post
    Factor in the travel and four game weekends for those who are on this board for the first time
    4-game weekends mean LESS travel... We only have 3 WAC road trips a year.. We traveled to Las Cruces, Reno, and Fresno... That's it... The Sun Belt has 5 conference road trips with one guaranteed to Miami every year... Travel is the lamest excuse for our ball club...

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Dawg06:

Our RPI in the past few years almost means nothing, because of the impact of the WAC's weak non-conference schedule as a whole.

Even this season, if we could have replaced the non-conference series against Texas-Weslyn and Alcorn with the SunBelt schools we were apparently supposed to play - ULL and WKU - then won six or seven more games - it still would not have put us in position for an at-large bid.
    Texas Wesleyan is a Non-DI opponent and did not factor into our RPI. RPI is the most unbiased way to evaluate college baseball and basketball teams.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Here ya go...

L - Alcorn St. RPI 265
    L - UT-Pan American RPI 271
    L - Central Arkansas RPI 215
    L - LSU-Shreveport Non-DI
    L - San Jose St. RPI 219
    L - San Jose St. RPI 219

L - McNeese RPI 289
    L - McNeese RPI 289
    L - McNeese RPI 289
    L - Houston Baptist RPI 284
    L - Nevada RPI 169
    L - Nevada RPI 169
    L - Nevada RPI 169
    L - Sacramento St. RPI 172
    L - Sacramento St. RPI 172
    L - New Mexico St. RPI 124
    That's not what I asked for. I want Sim's record versus those Louisiana schools that have such a higher RPI than us. If you think travel is a lame excuse for our baseball team, you have no clue whatsoever.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Texas Wesleyan is a Non-DI opponent and did not factor into our RPI. RPI is the most unbiased way to evaluate college baseball and basketball teams.
    But by having to play Texas Wesleyan it cost us the opportunity to play teams that had much higher RPIs. Success against those teams would have helped our RPI to a degree. Just not nearly enough to put us in position for an at-large bid. The WAC's RPI hasn't been nearly strong enough. We can control our non-conference schedule (to a point), but we can't control the schedules of our WAC opponents.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Nevermind. You confirmed you have no clue by comparing our conference travel with the sunbelt's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooddawg View Post
    You are right about that. Sim has consistently beaten other LA teams and we certainly weren't close to doing that before he came.

Not saying we should be happy w the season but no one more disappointed than the staff and players.
    Coach Sim vs. Louisiana
    12-1 vs. Grambling
    7-2 vs. Nicholls
    3-1 vs. Centenary
    15-8 vs. McNeese
    7-5 vs. ULM
    4-8 vs. Northwestern
    2-7 vs. ULL
    0-1 vs. LSU-Shreveport
    0-0 vs. LSU
    0-0 vs. Southern
    0-0 vs. Tulane
    0-0 vs. UNO
    0-0 vs. Southeastern
    Last edited by Dawg06; 05-26-2010 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    That's not what I asked for. I want Sim's record versus those Louisiana schools that have such a higher RPI than us. If you think travel is a lame excuse for our baseball team, you have no clue whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    Nevermind. You confirmed you have no clue by comparing our conference travel with the sunbelt's.
    2010 ULM SBC Travel
    Murfreesboro, TN - long trip
    Bowling Green, KY - long trip
    Mobile, AL - long trip
    Miami, FL - long trip
    Little Rock, AR

2010 LA Tech WAC Travel
    Las Cruces, NM - long trip
    Reno, NV - long trip
    Fresno, CA - long trip
    Tech replaced the other 2 open weeks with:
    Texas Wesleyan at home
    Austin, TX

2010 ULM SBC Travel
    Murfreesboro, TN - long trip
    Bowling Green, KY - long trip
    Mobile, AL - long trip
    Miami, FL - long trip
    Little Rock, AR

2010 LA Tech WAC Travel
    Las Cruces, NM - long trip
    Reno, NV - long trip
    Fresno, CA - long trip
    Tech replaced the other 2 open weeks with:
    Texas Wesleyan at home
    Austin, TX
    You are comparing bus trips in the SunBelt to commercial flight trips in the WAC. I am not sure about ULM's travel, but I know ULL buses to all of those games with the exception of the Miami games. In those cases, they bus to New Orleans and then fly Southwest.

The bus trips are often done after class on Thursday, allow players to have rows of seats to themselves, and are almost always preferable to commercial flights for many reasons. I can tell you this - not a single SunBelt baseball coach would want our conference travel.

Dawg06 - there is a reason every team in the WAC struggles on the road in conference play - even Fresno. I'm curious, what is their record in Ruston in the past five to seven years?

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    You are comparing bus trips in the SunBelt to commercial flight trips in the WAC. I am not sure about ULM's travel, but I know ULL buses to all of those games with the exception of the Miami games. In those cases, they bus to New Orleans and then fly Southwest.

The bus trips are often done after class on Thursday, allow players to have rows of seats to themselves, and are almost always preferable to commercial flights for many reasons. I can tell you this - not a single SunBelt baseball coach would want our conference travel.

Dawg06 - there is a reason every team in the WAC struggles on the road in conference play - even Fresno. I'm curious, what is their record in Ruston in the past five to seven years?
    Fresno is 6-16 in Ruston in WAC play.

For every trip Tech has to make west, another team makes the same trip east to Ruston. Every home team has a home field advantage no matter how far the visiting team has to travel. It all evens out in the end. Travel should not be an excuse for performance.

It's an 11 hour bus ride from Lafayette to Bowling Green and 10 hours from Lafayette to Murfreesboro. Those are long road trips no matter how much room they have on that bus.

Champ DAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond repute DAWG DUDE's Avatar

Not here to say I could do better.
    Not here to bash the players or the coaches.
    Not here to say I know who we should hire as a HC.
    Not here to be a "flamer".

I am here to say that I follow Tech sports extremely closely, and I have noticed that no postseason in basketball and football = new coach.
    I have noticed that in basketball and football, if a coach is losing, we get rid of that coach.

I am tired of being a ~.500 club.
    We have the bats to be in the top 25.

Why can't we put together a semi-complete team?

Richard caught all sorts of flack for not putting someone with Millsap.
    Bick couldn't give McCown anyone to throw to.

Both of those guys -- gone.

I'm ready for a change. Too many opportunities to be good have gone to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by DAWG DUDE View Post
    Not here to say I could do better.
    Not here to bash the players or the coaches.
    Not here to say I know who we should hire as a HC.
    Not here to be a "flamer".

I am here to say that I follow Tech sports extremely closely, and I have noticed that no postseason in basketball and football = new coach.
    I have noticed that in basketball and football, if a coach is losing, we get rid of that coach.

I am tired of being a ~.500 club.
    We have the bats to be in the top 25.

Why can't we put together a semi-complete team?

Richard caught all sorts of flack for not putting someone with Millsap.
    Bick couldn't give McCown anyone to throw to.

Both of those guys -- gone.

I'm ready for a change. Too many opportunities to be good have gone to waste.
    I'm with you. I'm just trying to put some facts out there. What has he done to earn our confidence? It seems like some people think we'll never be able to win in the WAC, so we shouldn't expect Coach Sim to win. But he hasn't exactly won much in non-conference either with a weak SOS year in and year out. He's had 8 years to turn it around. How much longer does he need? Or is it just impossible to win in the WAC? Do they even have grass in Reno or Las Cruces? And Sacramento State is DI? And Hawaii has a worse travel situation than us... We should be a top 3 WAC team every year with Fresno and SJSU. Coaching a men's sport with limited scholarships in Louisiana, Sim has the advantage of putting Louisiana kids on TOPS who can make a 20 on their ACT and a 2.5 GPA. I don't know if students in any other state can get scholarships with such low academic standards.

Jack Bicknell

8 seasons
    43-52 overall (25-23 WAC)
    3 7+ win records
    1 WAC Coach of the Year
    1 WAC Championship
    1 bowl game
    Fired

Keith Richard
    9 seasons
    150-117 overall (91-61 conference)
    3 20-win seasons
    1 SBC Coach of the Year
    1 SBC regular season championship
    0 conference tournament championships
    2 NIT bids
    0 NCAA bids
    Fired

Chris Long
    3.7 seasons
    71-44 overall (41-16 WAC)
    1 26-win season
    1 WAC Coach of the Year
    2 WAC regular season championships
    1 WAC tournament championship
    1 NCAA bid
    Fired mid-season

Wade Simoneaux
    8 seasons
    202-242-1 overall (85-131 WAC)
    2 30-win seasons
    1 WAC Coach of the Year
    0 WAC regular season championships
    0 WAC tournament championships
    0 NCAA bids
    In 2008, finished in last place with arguably the most talented team in Tech history (7 players drafted) and didn't qualify for the WAC tournament in Ruston
    Last edited by Dawg06; 05-27-2010 at 02:31 AM.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Folks like to cry "can the coach" after a tough loss. Those who want him gone really only have one argument and that argument is almost never brought up.

Bicknell was horrible.

Richard maxed out and was going down hill.

Long...who cares?

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Just as in basketball, you can choose your reasons or excuses, but once again we are nothing more than middle of the pack in the WAC.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    Just as in basketball, you can choose your reasons or excuses, but once again we are nothing more than middle of the pack in the WAC.
    But none of the naysayers can or will tell us what Sim is doing wrong. Only one opinion has been let that goes to Sim's coaching and that is his loyalty to Tree which is really more managment that coaching.

One more thing...this guy has been treated like crap by our athletic department since the day he was hired. Most men would have told them where to stick it.

+ Reply to Thread