+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SEC Expansion Article - Final Four

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

SEC Expansion Article - Final Four

Sorry if posted but I hadn't seen this particular article. IMHO, this would/could start things moving to help TECH in the right conference direction (possible Big 12 or for sure CUSA). These moves could happen before the Big 10 pounces and begins the process. The meetings for these possibilities are next week. It's a great read with the division breakdowns at the end of the article.

The Final Four of College Football in the SEC? Dare to Dream
    5/27/2010 7:30 PM ET
    By Clay Travis

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/201...dare-to-dream/

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: SEC Expansion Article - Final Four

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Sorry if posted but I hadn't seen this particular article. IMHO, this would/could start things moving to help TECH in the right conference direction (possible Big 12 or for sure CUSA). These moves could happen before the Big 10 pounces and begins the process. The meetings for these possibilities are next week. It's a great read with the division breakdowns at the end of the article.

The Final Four of College Football in the SEC? Dare to Dream
    5/27/2010 7:30 PM ET
    By Clay Travis

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/201...dare-to-dream/
    VERY interesting! I think this is the only way Texas and A&M would jump. If they saw the future in a venture like this, it would entice them.

Something would have to happen with the bcs in this, though. You would have SEC against SEC for the National Championship many years.

Talk about revenue, though.........

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

This does sound interesting. I have been against the 4 division or pod concept since the dismal failure of the WAC to implement it (but then look who was running it). But this sounds well thought out and a workable solution to it. I think it might work. I figure that there is only about a 10-20% chance that someone will be proactive and do something before the Big 11 does, but it would be cool if it did. This plan would be a bombshell on the college football scene and would have everybody scrambling to catch up. Do this and then watch the ACC grab up some of the schools that the Big 11 was interested in from the BE would be very fun to watch.

Champ Tbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of light Tbone1's Avatar

I'm not too keen on those type of expansion plans.
    Folks, I'm afraid what we're going to see once 4 big Conferences go to 16 teams is a splitting of the BCS leagues.....another division of Super Conferences. The Super 64 teams in College Football.

Unfortunately, I think we'll find ourselves on the outside looking in....along with a lot of other also-rans.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone1 View Post
    I'm not too keen on those type of expansion plans.
    Folks, I'm afraid what we're going to see once 4 big Conferences go to 16 teams is a splitting of the BCS leagues.....another division of Super Conferences. The Super 64 teams in College Football.

Unfortunately, I think we'll find ourselves on the outside looking in....along with a lot of other also-rans.
    Like now?

Champ Tbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of light Tbone1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Like now?
    No, I'm talking about an actual splitting of divisions. Think Div 1 and Div 1 A.

That has been rumored in the past. Once the Haves, decide to distance themselves from the have-nots....I think it's only a matter of time before they take their TV money and run.

IF you break out 4 sixteen team MEGA conferences....they could conceivably break away from the traditional NCAA alignment and form their own governing body.

I know that's a stretch and it probably wont happen....but beware of the slippery slope.

No, I'm talking about an actual splitting of divisions. Think Div 1 and Div 1 A.

That has been rumored in the past. Once the Haves, decide to distance themselves from the have-nots....I think it's only a matter of time before they take their TV money and run.

IF you break out 4 sixteen team MEGA conferences....they could conceivably break away from the traditional NCAA alignment and form their own governing body.

I know that's a stretch and it probably wont happen....but beware of the slippery slope.
    Actually, they have already done that. They just have it under disguise (bcs-aq). I do see your point, though. Instead of getting closer - like we have been, it will make a formal split that will have no bridge.

Actually, they have already done that. They just have it under disguise (bcs-aq). I do see your point, though. Instead of getting closer - like we have been, it will make a formal split that will have no bridge.
    Right. Their step forward will equate to us taking a step back....even though we didn't move.

I would really hate to see something like that, because there's so much tradition out there that would get lost in the chaos.
    In a league of 64, somebody will be left out and those programs will inevitably wilt over time.

You know, as big a Tech fan as I am....I'm also a fan of College Football/sports as a whole. And I don't really like where this stuff is heading.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

They actually did it before the BCS and it wasn't disquised. It was the CFA which did split from the NCAA for its own television contract. I was reminded of that the other night watching an old "classic College game" on ESPN Classic. The CFA logo was over the screen in one corner.

Champ mikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond repute mikedog's Avatar

For better or for worse, there is too much money at stake for Congress to not get involved. Senators from Wyoming, New Mexico, Nevada, etc will demand that at least one state school be invited to the party.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

That's fine, let 'em beat each others' brains out. The chances of undefeated seasons will be few and far between.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TECH88 View Post
    That's fine, let 'em beat each others' brains out. The chances of undefeated seasons will be few and far between.
    The reason I don't see this is, one, they want "warm up" teams for competitive purposes. The bigger thing, though, is that Ohio State, Michigan, Tennessee, ect. make a FORTUNE on home games. In a super-conference scenario, do you think any current BCS teams are going to voluntarily give up home games so that the elite can have more than 6 games? No way. So, you're looking at a totally balanced, 6 home and 6 away EVERY year. The elite programs would lose a fortune in gate revenue.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    The reason I don't see this is, one, they want "warm up" teams for competitive purposes. The bigger thing, though, is that Ohio State, Michigan, Tennessee, ect. make a FORTUNE on home games. In a super-conference scenario, do you think any current BCS teams are going to voluntarily give up home games so that the elite can have more than 6 games? No way. So, you're looking at a totally balanced, 6 home and 6 away EVERY year. The elite programs would lose a fortune in gate revenue.
    Great point. The big boys will still need us. Hopefully the remaining conference commissioners stay on the same page regarding the scheduling issue. The WAC, CUSA, and MWC have enough teams to facilitate each other. They can all have schedules similar to ours this year. Money games like our ATM this year could/should be eliminated unless they are home and home.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Bingo!

+ Reply to Thread