+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Call me crazy...

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Call me crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    I lived in the Houston area for 11 years after I graduated from Tech. While I don't recall it being known as a minority school, it was called Cougar High by most of my coworkers, excepting those that were alumni of course....
    Yeah, I've heard that reference more than once myself. And how hard would you suppose it to be for a school with a label like that to make AQ?

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    Yeah, I've heard that reference more than once myself. And how hard would you suppose it to be for a school with a label like that to make AQ?

They made the SWC...

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

They made the SWC...
    Yeah, and I once had a date with Miss Louisiana, but she never went out with me again!

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in the Houston area for 11 years after I graduated from Tech. While I don't recall it being known as a minority school, it was called Cougar High by most of my coworkers, excepting those that were alumni of course....
    I went to law school there and the visual perception when you walked around campus was that it was a "black school". However, in reality, back in 1980-1983 it had less than 10% non hispanic blacks. It is very close to Texas Southern University which is a traditional black school -- their campuses almost touch one another.

The Cougar High was probably attached during its early years. It started out as a Juco, too. Its engineering program had some accreditation problems way back the 1960's, too. For the longest time it was a private university. It became a state university in the 1960's, about the time it joined the old SWC. It really only lacks a medical school for it to be a top of the line university now, but there are already three in the Galveston-Houston area.

By the way RICE is also "inner city" -- really only a couple of miles from UH. It's just that the "inner" is much nicer around it.

I believe their football program is on the way back up and their attendance is better at their on campus stadium. They have a couple of big rich alumni (one of which was just killed in a car accident) who have contributed to their new track stadium, football stadium renovation and indoor football practice facility. They're pushing for a new basketball arena now.

I hope if we move to Conference USA they stay in. If UH, USM Tulsa etc leave it would hardly be better than the Sun Belt.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    By the way RICE is also "inner city" -- really only a couple of miles from UH. It's just that the "inner" is much nicer around it.

Less than three miles, I checked...

I always thought it interesting that there were three universities there basically in walking distance of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    I hope if we move to Conference USA they stay in. If UH, USM Tulsa etc leave it would hardly be better than the Sun Belt.

That is my only fear about moving to CUSA. If schools like Memphis, USM, Houston, etc. go elsewhere and the conference refills from the SB, it will not be nearly as attractive in my eyes.

+ Reply to Thread