+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "It'll get rid of the have-nots."

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Re: "It'll get rid of the have-nots."

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I won't come down....... Sorry......... Being mediocre in anything is never my goal. :icon_wink:

Ask Florida State if they aimed for a mid level conference?
    Are you really this naive? If you don't court the girl that wants to go out with you hoping for a better catch, you quite likely won't get either one. And trust me, you can't court one and chase another without both knowing about it!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    Are you really this naive? If you don't court the girl that wants to go out with you hoping for a better catch, you quite likely won't get either one. And trust me, you can't court one and chase another without both knowing about it!
    Analogy doesn't work. Form alliances with the schools you want to be associated with.

Besides, using your analysis, you would have dated and married the only girl you found half way desirable. In the morning, CUSA might end up looking like that girl you picked up as the bar closed.

If SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, Rice, and Houston jump to something better, we won't be in that great of shape with CUSA.

Naive? No, ambitious!

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Analogy doesn't work. Form alliances with the schools you want to be associated with.

Besides, using your analysis, you would have dated and married the only girl you found half way desirable. In the morning, CUSA might end up looking like that girl you picked up as the bar closed.

If SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, Rice, and Houston jump to something better, we won't be in that great of shape with CUSA.

Naive? No, ambitious!
    Naive. SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, Rice, Houston; they're all irrelevant to what's going on and are not going to be AQ. They're not jumping to something better because there is no "something better" to which they can jump. You're acting like the little brother jumping up and saying "take me with you," can I come too?" In poker if you overplay you're hand others will quickly see you have no hand to play. That's what you're doing.

But, probably fortunately, it doesn't matter one twit what either of us thinks. It will probably all play out in short order - and then we can debate what the long-term consequences will be of whatever new alignment in which we find ourselves!
    Last edited by LookingForResults; 06-06-2010 at 07:13 AM.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Naive. SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, Rice, Houston; they're all irrelevant to what's going on and are not going to be AQ. They're not jumping to something better because there is no "something better" to which they can jump. You're acting like the little brother jumping up and saying "take me with you," can I come too?" In poker if you overplay you're hand others will quickly see you have no hand to play. That's what you're doing.

But, probably fortunately, it doesn't matter one twit what either of us thinks. It will probably all play out in short order - and then we can debate what the long-term consequences will be of whatever new alignment in which we find ourselves!
    The teams we have mentioned are VERY relevant in my opinion.

The teams we have mentioned are VERY relevant in my opinion.
    They're relevant in that we consider them to be the level of competition against which we compete, but they are not relevant relative to AQ consideration. That is why they will remain in CUSA and why our focus should be there as well.

They're relevant in that we consider them to be the level of competition against which we compete, but they are not relevant relative to AQ consideration. That is why they will remain in CUSA and why our focus should be there as well.
    Let's just hope your answer is correct. Keeping tight with them is extremely important, like I said. We don't know what is going to happen with the B12.

I think we are having two different discussions. CUSA in its current form is a good fit for us DEPENDING on how some other things fall.

#1 priority is getting in the best spot possible. We don't know what all is going to change. I still would like a 16 program conference even non-AQ with CUSA as a part of it (with us in it).

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

i disagree with you. In my opinion, you always aim for the highest you can get. Aiming lower guarantees you get lower. Aiming high and not getting it still gets you in a much better position.
    Always always always!!!! And we should shoot high with BVD's connections.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Man, I get dizzy and a headache trying to read through and understand this realignment stuff. I have a stupid question. Why do the BCS conferences want to make "super conferences?" It seems they have it pretty good as is. If all this happens, it really is going to take the tradition out of college football. IMHO, it will hurt college athletics enormously. Like everything else, I'm sure it has to do with money and perceived prestige, but makes very little sense. The powers that be in college athletics are screwing up a good thing. Keith Jackson was right when he said that the fun is gone from "big time" college athletics.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Has anyone given any thought to the possibility that when these uber conferences are formed that the AQ will turn into a Q and all else will be NQ? All the bowls will be used for the Q playoff system and all the NQs will get none of the money. With that scenario, not only will the NQs not get any of the bowl $$$ but will not get any TV exposure hence no deals with the networks and no TV $$$. The only other source of $$ for the NQs will be ticket sales, state funding, contributions, and body bag games. That would truly be the end of any possibility to move up in the world to the Q status.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Again, the sc's are too greedy. The system can't totally break down because no one will give up their homegames so USC and Texas can play 8 at home. Without the non-AQs, espn doesn't have anybody to play on Wednesday and Thursday nights EVERY week. I think the non-AQ relevance will diminish, but we won't be totally separated (yet).
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

If they have their own networks, then they schedule their games on Wednesday and Thursday nights because they have 16 in each conference and can supply the games themselves instead of looking to the NQs. Besides, they will need to play a shorter season to make room for the playoff system. Perhaps I am overestimating their greed. Or am I?
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

You're underestimating it. They are too greedy to regularly appear on week ights and have a smaller gate as a result. They are too greedy to give up home games so the super elite can have extra home games. College football is a big business and the non-AQs serve a role in making it that way.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    If they have their own networks, then they schedule their games on Wednesday and Thursday nights because they have 16 in each conference and can supply the games themselves instead of looking to the NQs. Besides, they will need to play a shorter season to make room for the playoff system. Perhaps I am overestimating their greed. Or am I?
    I think you are dead on.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    The Ole Miss, Miss States, Kentuckys (and about 30 other BCS) teams will always need the non-BCS teams to help fill schedules. The rules may be changed to allow more than one FCS victory, or even 5 wins to be bowl elgible, but as pointed out by other posters, fans of the BCS schools will not stand for two home games against McNeese and Nicholls in the same year.

It would only take a scheduling agreement between two non-BCS conferences to put the hurt on them.
    Tell that to these guys:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams/schedule?teamId=258
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams/...2306&year=2009
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams/schedule?teamId=9

You can even make a BCS game by doing it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams/...d=62&year=2007

Some interesting schedule stuff:

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/co...sp?CID=1072821

Obvious hole in this is the fact that (contrary to popular belief) scheduling a "big six" school isn't necessarily easier than a non-big six school. He calls out Baylor for not playing any big six schools, but they play TCU (who would be tougher than any number of big six schools they could have played instead). And Vandy gets credit for playing 3 "big six" teams, but UConn, Wake, and Northwestern ain't exactly a murder's row (3 solid, decent teams that will probably beat Vandy but all three would get stomped by TCU).
    Last edited by inudesu; 06-07-2010 at 10:38 AM.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    I have a stupid question. Why do the BCS conferences want to make "super conferences?" It seems they have it pretty good as is. If all this happens, it really is going to take the tradition out of college football. IMHO, it will hurt college athletics enormously. Like everything else, I'm sure it has to do with money and perceived prestige, but makes very little sense.

It's all about the money.

+ Reply to Thread