+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Expansion Could be Small....BSU Not Leaving

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Expansion Could be Small....BSU Not Leaving

Today the Mountain West announced that they would not be expanding at this time.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5261053

Also, after learning more about the details of all this, I'm not convinced that anything earth-shattering is going to happen.

Andy Katz said he believes that if Notre Dame joins the Big-10 (and they might) then that could be the only move that happens. Of course, that might make the Big East grab someone from CUSA, which might still open a spot for us.

But, this thing about all the Texas schools joining the Pac-10 seems more and more like a long shot. If Texas doesn't go, then the deal is probably off. And, the ego of Texas people makes it fun for them to be the big fish in the small pond. Having to share the spotlight with USC and UCLA would not be fun for them....not to mention the travel for non-revenue sports and the political problems it would cause them with the state legislature.

Katz made a good point on ESPN today. He said, "Remember back in the winter when everyone thought it was a done deal that the NCAA tourney would expand to 96? Well, it wasn't and this is not a done deal either."

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: Expansion Could be Small....BSU Not Leaving

I think it's about Nebraska. If they don't "affirm their commitment" to the Big 12, Texas will take off and take the Big XII south with them. What's best for Tech? Probably that Notre Dame comes to terms with the Big 10, CUSA has one opening after the BE replaces them and CUSA picks us.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

I agree that would be the best scenario for Tech. If ND says no to the Big Ten, then they might go after Nebraska and/or Missou. Or they might not.

The travel thing still seems pretty big to me with the Texas schools. Texas is the only one who brings enough TV money to make it worth while. But, if they try to leave, it could mean political troubles. I'm not sure it is worth the headaches for them. Plus, they lose their "big fish" status.

Champ DQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to behold

Remembering that all these conferences are very conservative and have to live with their decisions for a hell of a long time, I'm beginning to think that a lot of movement might not be in the cards either. I thought sure Boise was GONE up until late last week!!!

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

If there is no major upheaval, I still think Boise will be gone to the MWC in about a month.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Remember how this whole conference expansion thing started out with the Big 10 taking a Big East school so they could have 2 divisions and a playoff?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    If there is no major upheaval, I still think Boise will be gone to the MWC in about a month.

You could definitely be right. We can't forget about the size of the egos involved in this stuff. No school wants to say anything until they know they have been invited, and no commissioner wants to extend an offer unless he KNOWS for sure that it will be accepted.

With all the speculation about the MWC possibly losing teams to the Pac-10 or Big XII, some were saying that Boise should not make the move without knowing what the conference would look like. So, if they would not give a definite yes behind the scenes, then the offer would not be officially made. In a few weeks or months, when we start to see what might happen, then they could still make the move.

We just need to find our way into CUSA.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    You could definitely be right. We can't forget about the size of the egos involved in this stuff. No school wants to say anything until they know they have been invited, and no commissioner wants to extend an offer unless he KNOWS for sure that it will be accepted.

With all the speculation about the MWC possibly losing teams to the Pac-10 or Big XII, some were saying that Boise should not make the move without knowing what the conference would look like. So, if they would not give a definite yes behind the scenes, then the offer would not be officially made. In a few weeks or months, when we start to see what might happen, then they could still make the move.

We just need to find our way into CUSA.
    I don't think Boise had a say. They'll go MWC when the MWC tells them they can come. I think the MWC was prepared to make noise today, but decided to hold off for some reason (take your pick).

A MWC w/out Utah and BYU is better than the WAC even with a bad TV deal.

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    I agree in that when the MWC sees that the Big 12 is not going going to splinter they may come back to Boise.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

I think the bulk of Big 12 members are just tired of Nebraska and Missouri griping about the conference's center of gravity moving to Texas and the financial split of funds. They really don't care if Missouri leaves but they'd prefer not to lose Nebraska. There comes a time when you get fed up with a situation that the issue needs to be forced and brought to a resolution. That's what this is all about.

Once that issue is settled, then the merits of going PAC 10 can be decided. No doubt there have been conversations all weekend between the PAC 10/Big 12 interested parties and they'll continue. I think if they can put together a TV deal that gets them close to what they want financially, the loyal Big 12 teams would just as soon hold on to the conference they have. There are enough downside risks with doing the mega conferences that, if an adequate deal can be made, we won't see them happen....for now.

We don't need the nuclear option & we don't need a realignment that is too small. We need a situation somewhere in between that gets us where we need to be.

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

I think MWC schools told commissioner to wait and see if anything happens between Big 12 and PAC 10 too look at some of the Big 12 schools that might look at MWC and full sports programs. Just one example would be baseball, Boise would have to start a program if they go MWC. May be a few other sports.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

MWC is VERY conservative in inviting other programs in. Remember when we all thought Boise was gone a couple of years ago. MWC decided to not expand.

I think Designated Hitter is right, though, they are waiting to see if there will be some AQ leftovers. Frankly, they way things went today, I am not sure there will be. Boise may get that invite after all, but it may be another year.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

I still think that the Big 11 grabs Missouri (if ND doesn't come) because of the tv sets in STL and KC. Then the Big 12 counters by grabbing Colorado State in the north. Then the MWC can grab Boise, Nevada, Fresno & UTEP(or Houston) to make their 12. We go to CUSA!

Benson can then do his part to help FCS schools move up by grabbing a handful to keep the WAC at 9! He then goes and plays more golf for a couple more years!

DFiH

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I think it's about Nebraska. If they don't "affirm their commitment" to the Big 12, Texas will take off and take the Big XII south with them.

I really don't see the Pac 10 taking Baylor. I think that is the poison pill in the deal. I think their dislike of religious schools (even if they are not particularly religious any more) is more than their love of Texas and the $$$$. Remember, with the Pac 10 there is an element of ideology involved. Baylor (nor BYU) does not fit that ideology. I certainly can be wrong about this though. If that happens, I still think Texas (and possibly A&M) bolt for greener pastures. I think that Nebraska is the key. If they stay then the situation might settle down. If not then the situation is going to be a lot more volatile. If Nebraska stays, then there is a good chance that the Pac 10 goes to plan B (Utah/Colorado) if the Big 11 expands.

Varsity Bulldog rmitch5411 is a jewel in the roughrmitch5411 is a jewel in the roughrmitch5411 is a jewel in the roughrmitch5411 is a jewel in the roughrmitch5411 is a jewel in the roughrmitch5411 is a jewel in the roughrmitch5411 is a jewel in the roughrmitch5411 is a jewel in the roughrmitch5411 is a jewel in the roughrmitch5411 is a jewel in the roughrmitch5411 is a jewel in the rough

Just wanted to say that with all the speculation circulating around: I have no freaking clue. Wish I did. Don't. Can't anyone spare a clue???

+ Reply to Thread