+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conference USA, Baylor, and LaTech

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Re: Conference USA, Baylor, and LaTech

Troy or MTSU? They do not fit with the academic profile of the CUSA schools.....LaTech fits that area nicely.

LaTech's academics help. And I think the sense that it just "feels" like the right addition (which is why I supported LaTech when we picked up UTEP). I don't think Troy's academics hurt, though. MTSU's do. Whether they are considered or not depends on how Memphis feels about it, probably, and whether the eastern teams are really concerned about the geographic balance of the conference shifting away from them.

Regarding the Big 12 Remnants, if the Big 12 falls apart I would expect what's left to join with the Mountain West Conference or a merger of some sort to take place. I wish that weren't so, though, because I would like Houston's chances otherwise.

Champ Beaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud of Beaver-Dog's Avatar

I haven't seen any comments from Coach Mick. Where do you think Tech will end up Coach?

Big Dog MTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    Troy or MTSU? They do not fit with the academic profile of the CUSA schools.....LaTech fits that area nicely.

LaTech's academics help. And I think the sense that it just "feels" like the right addition (which is why I supported LaTech when we picked up UTEP). I don't think Troy's academics hurt, though. MTSU's do. Whether they are considered or not depends on how Memphis feels about it, probably, and whether the eastern teams are really concerned about the geographic balance of the conference shifting away from them.

Regarding the Big 12 Remnants, if the Big 12 falls apart I would expect what's left to join with the Mountain West Conference or a merger of some sort to take place. I wish that weren't so, though, because I would like Houston's chances otherwise.
    Troy's academics are better than Middle Tennessee's? Really? Really? REALLY?

And La Tech to the Big XII is not happening, because if they're just replacing Colorado and Nebraska, Tech isn't high enough on the list, if the Pac 16 happens, there won't be a Big XII to join.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by MTSUPiKapp View Post

And La Tech to the Big XII is not happening, because if they're just replacing Colorado and Nebraska, Tech isn't high enough on the list, if the Pac 16 happens, there won't be a Big XII to join.
    Have you spoken to the B12 Athletic Directors of the schools that will be left behind? They could easily keep the conference going by inviting other schools in. I think you have an opinion, but it certainly isn't the ONLY opinion. You can find 150 scenarios on this message board alone.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Dude, get your panties out of a wad. I don't know if there many of us here that know what the heck a TROY University is, much less what their academics are like. We do know of MTSU, and it has historically had a good reputation of producing educators, as I recall. Perhaps our University of Houston friend knows more about how that Troy place compares to Middle, but i don't.

On the other hand, personally, I expect the SEC to invite Tech to give Louisiana a double presence in the conference, similar to Mississippi, Tennessee, and Alabama. Maybe I should start THAT thread!

Champ Allgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    You got that right...... Actually, Boazy might be the team left in the WAC and us going to an AQ leftover B12. Yes, the B12 would be the bottom of AQ, but we can build it with AQ status. CUSA is next choice, but I fear what CUSA will look like.
    Just curious, can the BCS yank AQ status at will if they don't think this new Big12 isn't good enough?

Big Dog MTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Have you spoken to the B12 Athletic Directors of the schools that will be left behind? They could easily keep the conference going by inviting other schools in. I think you have an opinion, but it certainly isn't the ONLY opinion. You can find 150 scenarios on this message board alone.
    Here's the thing friend, the MWC AQ status is probably already cemented with Boise. If the MWC bands together, they will have the power.

If the Pac 16 happens, the remaining Big XII will be(at most) Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri and Iowa State. If TAMU to SEC happens, it will be Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri and Iowa State and there's still the possibility that Missouri winds up in the Big Ten.

What incentive would any MWC school have in joining that group? If they band together they can take the any or all of those schools and what choice would they have? If the remaining three to five members try to take a stand, who do they add that makes them a better conference than just joining the MWC? If they still have all five members, those members plus say...Houston, Tulsa, Memphis, Southern Miss and(for your sake) La Tech. That 10 team conference is better in basketball, but probably slightly worse in football, than the MWC.

If the Big XII falls below five, I think it's game set and match. IMO as soon as the Pac 16 happens, the Big East will be crazy to not allow Kansas to fall into their lap and as long as they're taking Kansas, why not take Missouri as well and they might be bound by Kansas Legislature to take Kansas State as well. So now the Big XII is down to Iowa State and possibly Baylor...those two join the MWC and are lucky to be there.

I realize that the Big XII is your best shot so you don't want to see it's demise and I get that, but I think you're pretty much up the creek at this point. IMO you're only shot at the Big XII is if Texas decides to keep the 10 team conference together and they then decide to go beyond 12. I don't think La Tech would be the 11th or 12th team into the new Big XII. All that taken into account, I think the Pac 16 is happening, probably next week and if it doesn't, I'm not sure the ten remaining Big XII schools expand at all and if they do I don't think they do past twelve.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the thing friend, the MWC AQ status is probably already cemented with Boise. If the MWC bands together, they will have the power.

If the Pac 16 happens, the remaining Big XII will be(at most) Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri and Iowa State. If TAMU to SEC happens, it will be Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri and Iowa State and there's still the possibility that Missouri winds up in the Big Ten.

What incentive would any MWC school have in joining that group? If they band together they can take the any or all of those schools and what choice would they have? If the remaining three to five members try to take a stand, who do they add that makes them a better conference than just joining the MWC? If they still have all five members, those members plus say...Houston, Tulsa, Memphis, Southern Miss and(for your sake) La Tech. That 10 team conference is better in basketball, but probably slightly worse in football, than the MWC.

If the Big XII falls below five, I think it's game set and match. IMO as soon as the Pac 16 happens, the Big East will be crazy to not allow Kansas to fall into their lap and as long as they're taking Kansas, why not take Missouri as well and they might be bound by Kansas Legislature to take Kansas State as well. So now the Big XII is down to Iowa State and possibly Baylor...those two join the MWC and are lucky to be there.

I realize that the Big XII is your best shot so you don't want to see it's demise and I get that, but I think you're pretty much up the creek at this point. IMO you're only shot at the Big XII is if Texas decides to keep the 10 team conference together and they then decide to go beyond 12. I don't think La Tech would be the 11th or 12th team into the new Big XII. All that taken into account, I think the Pac 16 is happening, probably next week and if it doesn't, I'm not sure the ten remaining Big XII schools expand at all and if they do I don't think they do past twelve.
    I just talked to the La Tech AD and La Tech has been invited to join the remaining 5 teams in the Big 12 along with TCU, Houston, Memphis, USM, New Mexico, and Air Force. They figure this will allow them to retain their AQ status and it will be a regional conference with only AFA and New Mexico located outside the central time zone.

Guest Lilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    You can't follow the logic where Tech has a shot in this to end up affiliated with the Big 12 refugee? If the large universities and conferences are in such a state of flux where things aren't following a straight line, then what happens as this rolls downhill is even less predictable.

I'll concede it is not likely as other scenarios, but it is not impossible.

Some fans are "half-full" kind of guys. Some fans are "half-empty" kind of guys. And some of fans are just "Half-a$$". You might consider changing categories.

At the end of the day, its like the Beach Boys said, "Be true to your school!"

Yes some fans are half-a$$ but I would tend to think that the ones who are talking about witholding their support to the University if we end up in the Sunbelt as being half-ass. They're not loyal at all if they don't "get their way". How can Tech become a better school if alumni doesn't support it regardless of what conference it is in? Louisiana Tech is Louisiana Tech whether it is in the SEC or the Sunbelt.

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    I just talked to the La Tech AD and La Tech has been invited to join the remaining 5 teams in the Big 12 along with TCU, Houston, Memphis, USM, New Mexico, and Air Force.
    Congrats, I'll make sure to send you a flower arrangement.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lilfido View Post
    Yes some fans are half-a$$ but I would tend to think that the ones who are talking about witholding their support to the University if we end up in the Sunbelt as being half-ass. They're not loyal at all if they don't "get their way". How can Tech become a better school if alumni doesn't support it regardless of what conference it is in? Louisiana Tech is Louisiana Tech whether it is in the SEC or the Sunbelt.
    What support do you provide and how long have you provided it? Have season tickets? Belong to LTAC? What level? Don't call me half-assed. You are a whole ass.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Lilfido View Post
    I'll send money to the school of engineering, but, I won't send anything to athletics if Tech winds up in the sunbelt.

Champ dchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to all dchi72's Avatar

I just talked to the La Tech AD and La Tech has been invited to join the remaining 5 teams in the Big 12 along with TCU, Houston, Memphis, USM, New Mexico, and Air Force. They figure this will allow them to retain their AQ status and it will be a regional conference with only AFA and New Mexico located outside the central time zone.

Don't tease me like that!

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

I'll send money to the school of engineering, but, I won't send anything to athletics if Tech winds up in the sunbelt.
    Don't say that out loud! Too many statements like that may expedite our trip to the Sunbelt.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Don't say that out loud! Too many statements like that may expedite our trip to the Sunbelt.
    On the other hand, should we end up in a sweet spot somewhere - or even hang with the WAC - I will continue and increase my support unceasingly.

+ Reply to Thread