+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big East to Offer Memphis

Big Dog Easydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the rough Easydawg's Avatar

Big East to Offer Memphis

The below is copied from Tiger Roar.com sent to me by a colleague.

For those of you who haven't listened to the most recent Roar Podcast, you should go check it out. It's 20 minutes, but it's got a LOT of GREAT info in it regarding conf expansion. I found these things very interesting:

1) Kansas' Athletic Director resigned yesterday. With Kansas on the verge of getting left out of expansion, this is a very bad time to be hunting for an AD. For anyone who thought this wasn't completely about football...look at Kansas.

2) Nebraska to the Big 10 is virtually done.

3) TMZ (yes, that TMZ) is reporting OSU to the Big 10 as well.

4) Texas is too good for Memphis (Texas' words, not mine). So if Texas stays in the Big 12, Memphis WILL NOT be invited. Texas WILL NOT be in any conference with Memphis.

5) RUMOR: MEMPHIS HAS BEEN EXTENDED AN INFORMAL INVITATION TO JOIN THE BIG EAST. Andy has heard enough to feel comfortable letting this cat out of the bag, but it's NOT a done deal by any means.

6) Kansas, Baylor and the perceived "leftovers" from the Big 12 have informally assured Memphis that they will be included in their conference.

7) Memphis, when the dust settles, looks like they may have a choice between the Big East and Big 12. Lets just hope they both retain enough teams to keep BCS status.

8) Some VERY interesting information regarding possible conference mates that you'll want to hear. So get over there and have a listen...

http://memphisroar.com/2010/06/podcast-m....ansion-rundown/

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar

Re: Big East to Offer Memphis

My #1 choice in all of this would be for Tech to end up in whatever is left of the big 12. Barring that, this move by memphis, whether to the big east or big 12, could be our opening to CUSA.

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

All I can say is that is like us claiming a Conference USA "soft invitation".

This is all getting humorous to me.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    All I can say is that is like us claiming a Conference USA "soft invitation".

This is all getting humorous to me.
    All of that was a little muddy to me. OSU to the Big 10? Which OSU?

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    Oklahoma State

Surely, this Memphis site is not counting on TMZ to report Oklahoma State news or even be reputable for sports news.

Champ Beaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud of Beaver-Dog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    Certainly not the Beavers!

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    Oklahoma State

Surely, this Memphis site is not counting on TMZ to report Oklahoma State news or even be reputable for sports news.
    If they're turning down Missouri, they'd definitely turn down Ok State.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver-Dog View Post
    Certainly not the Beavers!
    Nobody turns down beaver.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I figured the OSU to the Big 10 thing was a typo...meant Pac 10. Kansas, Mizzou, and Baylor would be attractive to the BE, but I just don't know if they'd have the votes. If basketball is the key, Memphis will surely come up. Another thing to remember, where will the ACC pull from if they lose a team? The BE. If the Big X takes Rutgers and Maryland, the BE would basically be down two and sitting at 6 for FB and 14 for hoops. ALSO, if the SEC expands, they'll look to the ACC...who will in turn look to the BE. At some point, the BE has to look to CUSA.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I figured the OSU to the Big 10 thing was a typo...meant Pac 10. Kansas, Mizzou, and Baylor would be attractive to the BE, but I just don't know if they'd have the votes. If basketball is the key, Memphis will surely come up. Another thing to remember, where will the ACC pull from if they lose a team? The BE. If the Big X takes Rutgers and Maryland, the BE would basically be down two and sitting at 6 for FB and 14 for hoops. ALSO, if the SEC expands, they'll look to the ACC...who will in turn look to the BE. At some point, the BE has to look to CUSA.
    Good summary Johnny, I just hope all that happens.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't see Kansas going to the Big East. That would be just too many big boys to compete with on the hardcourt. The BE is in the worst shape cuz they have so many non football teams. A 20 team big east just doesn't fly.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

It seems extraordinarily unlikely that the Big East will be making an offer to Memphis right at this point. They have Memphis whenever they want Memphis. Wait and see who (if anyone) they have to replace first. Also, isn't there a 16-team limit?

Memphis would be a great candidate for a reformed Big 12, though. So maybe that's their hurry? Still not buying it... I think the odds of a rebuilt Big 12 with Conference USA teams (or LaTech) are pretty low.
    Last edited by parialex; 06-11-2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: second thoughts

Big Dog Easydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the rough Easydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    I think the odds of a rebuilt Big 12 with Conference USA teams (or LaTech) are pretty low.
    Why not? If the commissioner could really stick it to those who just left. If it does dissolve, there will be at least one, if not more, school left in a non-BCS conference. I am sure those schools would be more than willing to stick around.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    It seems extraordinarily unlikely that the Big East will be making an offer to Memphis right at this point. They have Memphis whenever they want Memphis. Wait and see who (if anyone) they have to replace first. Also, isn't there a 16-team limit?

Memphis would be a great candidate for a reformed Big 12, though. So maybe that's their hurry? Still not buying it... I think the odds of a rebuilt Big 12 with Conference USA teams (or LaTech) are pretty low.
    Parialex, what university are you a grad of or support? Your bio states fan of another school.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Easydawg View Post
    Why not? If the commissioner could really stick it to those who just left. If it does dissolve, there will be at least one, if not more, school left in a non-BCS conference. I am sure those schools would be more than willing to stick around.
    Yes....... And those schools can build by adding some non-AQ programs and keep AQ status. Baylor and the rest should be fighting hard to keep the B12 alive and invite others in. Otherwise, Baylor is a key leftover that will end up non-AQ. Kansas and KState might have other options, but might stick around if the B12 stays alive in some form with AQ status.

+ Reply to Thread