+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Big East to Offer Memphis

Big Dog MTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really nice

Re: Big East to Offer Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by tylerdawg View Post
    Big East football will no longer exist by end of summer.
    Disagree. For one I think the Big XII is doomed, not the Big East. Beyond that, anything that's going to happen has to happen by July 1, not the end of the summer, lastly even if the Big East were killed, all the current members would still play Big East football this year.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by Easydawg View Post
    Why not? If the commissioner could really stick it to those who just left. If it does dissolve, there will be at least one, if not more, school left in a non-BCS conference. I am sure those schools would be more than willing to stick around.
    The biggest reason is that uncertainty does not breed loyalty. If the MWC invites Kansas and K-State (or those two plus Missouri if available), I think they jump at it. The caveat is a (likely full-on) merger between the MWC and Big 12 Leftovers and keeping the Big 12 (or 14) name. I think the MWC actually has the stronger hand to play here. If I was TCU's athletics director, I would choose to stay in the MWC over a Big 12 with Conference USA teams in it.

I think there's going to be a big push to strip the Big 12 of its bowl slot. The Pac-16, SEC, and Big Ten only need one more vote to do so. If the MWC gets in, that's the next vote. Otherwise, I think they'll get the ACC or Big East to go along. This is all speculation, of course, but that's my perspective. But even the chance of my being right has to scare Kansas, K-State, and Missouri speechless and spur an every-school-for-itself scramble.

(I should add that as a UH alum, I really hope I'm wrong.)

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    You would think the same thing about the MWC and Boise State. With Kansas, K State, and Missouri on the table and now they are sitting at 10 members.
    I thought that exact thing and I was wrong! I think the particular thing about the MWC is that they needed to make a decision double-quick to get BSU in time for the final season of the BCS review so that their record is included. Adding Boise strengthens their position for BCS membership, which in turn gives them leverage in keeping TCU and grabbing the Kansas schools (and Missouri, if available).

Or because they know for one reason or another that the Kansas/Missouri axis is not interested. That would mean that I am either wrong about about a resurrected Big 12 or I am wrong in believing that the Big East won't split off its non-football schools.

One other possibility: They're making contingency plans to pick off some Big East schools like Cincinnati and Louisville. Haven't thought that possibility through, though.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    I thought that exact thing and I was wrong! I think the particular thing about the MWC is that they needed to make a decision double-quick to get BSU in time for the final season of the BCS review so that their record is included. Adding Boise strengthens their position for BCS membership, which in turn gives them leverage in keeping TCU and grabbing the Kansas schools (and Missouri, if available).

Or because they know for one reason or another that the Kansas/Missouri axis is not interested. That would mean that I am either wrong about about a resurrected Big 12 or I am wrong in believing that the Big East won't split off its non-football schools.

One other possibility: They're making contingency plans to pick off some Big East schools like Cincinnati and Louisville. Haven't thought that possibility through, though.
    If those 5 can pull in Cincinnatti, Louisville, and Memphis, they've got a conference. TCU and Houston will be begging to join.

Guest Lilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Nobody is saying this but the MWC KNOWS something. They are your link to what will happen if you can figure it out. At first they are going to wait on Boise and then adopt Boise quicker than you flick flies off of sh!t. If I was the MWC and I knew Missouri was going to the Big 10 or that Texas, TT, A&M, Okie, Baylor and Okie state were leaving as a group, I'd feel safe to adopt Boise and wait on Kansas and Kansas St. And we all thought there were backroom deals in the Cornhusker Kickback, YOU AINT SEEN NOTHING YET!

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Fred Smith was meeting with Mike Slive this weekend. Their goal is BCS first, SEC forever. This may be their only shot, and never underestimate the power of the FedEx mogul.

Champ DawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Lilfido View Post
    Nobody is saying this but the MWC KNOWS something. They are your link to what will happen if you can figure it out. At first they are going to wait on Boise and then adopt Boise quicker than you flick flies off of sh!t. If I was the MWC and I knew Missouri was going to the Big 10 or that Texas, TT, A&M, Okie, Baylor and Okie state were leaving as a group, I'd feel safe to adopt Boise and wait on Kansas and Kansas St. And we all thought there were backroom deals in the Cornhusker Kickback, YOU AINT SEEN NOTHING YET!
    I think this is spot on. The only reason MWC delayed is because they wanted to know who was going to be left for them to scoop up. I think they found out enough for them to think Boise was about as good as it was going to get as a sure thing.

Champ Tbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of light Tbone1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Easydawg View Post
    The below is copied from Tiger Roar.com sent to me by a colleague.

3) TMZ (yes, that TMZ) is reporting OSU to the Big 10 as well.

6) Kansas, Baylor and the perceived "leftovers" from the Big 12 have informally assured Memphis that they will be included in their conference.

7) Memphis, when the dust settles, looks like they may have a choice between the Big East and Big 12. Lets just hope they both retain enough teams to keep BCS status.

n/
    Wrong
    Wrong
    and
    Wrong
    If you're referring to Oklahoma State (OSU)...that couldn't be further from the truth. They don't have the academic profile that the Big10 is looking for....nor do they have the name, tradition, following, or TV market.

There will be no Big12 when this is said and done. There will be no anchor team worthy of sustaining a TV contract thats competitive with the top half of the Conferences in Div 1.

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    If those 5 can pull in Cincinnatti, Louisville, and Memphis, they've got a conference. TCU and Houston will be begging to join.
    Houston will be begging to join regardless. We will sell our soul.

I've been thinking of the "Raid the Big East" possibility since I mentioned it above. I think that there really might be something to it. Cincinnati and Louisville do not have a long history with that conference. Further, the Big East is itself unstable on two fronts. First from the Big Ten and then from the ACC if the SEC raids the ACC. A restructured Big XII would actually, for once, the the stable option!

Houston will be begging to join regardless. The trick is to convince TCU. I don't think they'd be begging because they're fine where they are. But I don't think it would be a tough sell.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

they're fine where they are.
    twss

+ Reply to Thread