+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: The NEW Big 12

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: The NEW Big 12

Looking like this might be a possibility. If A&M goes to the PAC, the 5 Big 12 teams would likely add the cream of the MWC crop. TCU, Utah, BYU, and Boise would make 9. Wonder where the next three would come from?

They'd have BCS status if they keep the Big 12 name. Would they have to take 6 from the MWC (the 6 teams for 5 years rule)? If that's for hoops, this group wouldn't have to worry about that, they'd have at-large bids...quite a few of them.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Guest Lilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Looking like this might be a possibility. If A&M goes to the PAC, the 5 Big 12 teams would likely add the cream of the MWC crop. TCU, Utah, BYU, and Boise would make 9. Wonder where the next three would come from?

They'd have BCS status if they keep the Big 12 name. Would they have to take 6 from the MWC (the 6 teams for 5 years rule)? If that's for hoops, this group wouldn't have to worry about that, they'd have at-large bids...quite a few of them.

What is the rule on a conference retaining its BCS status after defections? If I was UTAH, TCU, and BYU, I wouldn't want to leave the MWC just to play Baylor, Kansas, KState and the others. Besides, I think the BCS is going to reevaluate BCS qualifications in a year or two anyway. The new Big 12 would only have one guaranteed AQ status year anyway. I say the MWC schools dont budge.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lilfido View Post
    What is the rule on a conference retaining its BCS status after defections? If I was UTAH, TCU, and BYU, I wouldn't want to leave the MWC just to play Baylor, Kansas, KState and the others. Besides, I think the BCS is going to reevaluate BCS qualifications in a year or two anyway. The new Big 12 would only have one guaranteed AQ status year anyway. I say the MWC schools dont budge.
    Guaranteed through the 2011 season I believe. You're right, they'd just have one year guaranteed, but surely it's easier to maintain your status than it is to gain it. Why would the MWC teams hold on for what "might" happen in the MWC when they know what they would have in the Big XII? Not to mention, it would be these schools that would be securing BCS status for the MWC. The Big XII weaklings aren't any weaker than the MWC weaklings. Take the five Big XII teams (2 of which have had decent football recently...and KSU has decent history) and pair them with the top 6 or 7 in the MWC and they would surely keep their status. If #'s 6 and 7 were too weak in the MWC, just take the top teams in CUSA-West...Houston and Tulsa maybe.

This seems like a no brainer to me if the top Big XII teams do skip to the Pac. 70 million is also nice seed money for a network or whatever else the left-behind choose to spend it on.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Guest Lilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Guaranteed through the 2011 season I believe. You're right, they'd just have one year guaranteed, but surely it's easier to maintain your status than it is to gain it. Why would the MWC teams hold on for what "might" happen in the MWC when they know what they would have in the Big XII? Not to mention, it would be these schools that would be securing BCS status for the MWC. The Big XII weaklings aren't any weaker than the MWC weaklings. Take the five Big XII teams (2 of which have had decent football recently...and KSU has decent history) and pair them with the top 6 or 7 in the MWC and they would surely keep their status. If #'s 6 and 7 were too weak in the MWC, just take the top teams in CUSA-West...Houston and Tulsa maybe.

This seems like a no brainer to me if the top Big XII teams do skip to the Pac. 70 million is also nice seed money for a network or whatever else the left-behind choose to spend it on.

I don't necessarily agree. I know the MWC isn't AQ yet but they are the talk of the college football world outside of the AQ conferences. They've got a good thing going and I highly doubt they'd cast that aside for the unknown. However, I'm sure they'd cast it aside in a heartbeat for the PAC 10.

+ Reply to Thread