+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Riddle me this

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Riddle me this

I haven't had time to sort through things to find out why Missouri appears to have been left out in the cold.

I've heard the talking heads say the Big10 doesn't need them because Illinois already brings them the St.Louis market. I find that laughable. But what about the KC market? Who controls that one?

What is the reason that Missouri was dissed so bad by the Big10?

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Re: Riddle me this

Because Missouri was a slave state?

Champ Built4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond repute Built4Speed's Avatar

I honestly can't answer that. Here's the US News page with all their academic/financial info. I'll see how it compares to other Big 10 schools. http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...-missouri-2516

They're Tier 1, $550M+ endowment, 23k+ undergrad enrollment.. Seems like they would be a good fit to me, unless the TV market deal is the case. I really don't know. Maybe it's a political pissing match between university higher-ups and the Big 10 guys. Who knows.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    I haven't had time to sort through things to find out why Missouri appears to have been left out in the cold.

I've heard the talking heads say the Big10 doesn't need them because Illinois already brings them the St.Louis market. I find that laughable. But what about the KC market? Who controls that one?

What is the reason that Missouri was dissed so bad by the Big10?
    I think it's a combination of things. I did hear Chip Brown of Orangebloods mention the market issue on College Football Live on ESPN on Thursday. He said his source was a Big 12 AD.

Also, Teddy Greenstein of the Chicago Tribune predicted Missouri would be left out:
    Missouri is decent in every criteria (football, academics, geography), spectacular in none. Adding the Kansas City TV market and fortifying St. Louis should not be enough to prompt another Big Ten revenue pie-cutting.

Regarding academics - Missouri is an AAU member and is Tier One. But not nearly as highly ranked as Rutgers or Maryland, also AAU members. It's pretty clear if Notre Dame turns the Big 10 down between now and next May, those are the next two teams to gain entry.

Champ Tbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of lightTbone1 is a glorious beacon of light Tbone1's Avatar

The Big10 has flirted with Mizzou for a few years now. They've toyed with the idea of going to 12 teams so they could get the Conf Championship Game (dollars) and Mizzou was a double dip move because it would bring that TV market.

Mizzou is the fool here, because they burned their bridges in the Big12 without ever having a real offer from the Big10. The Big12 tried repeatedly to get Mizzou to give a commitment and they wouldn't do it. In fact, I've heard they behaved smugly and aloof in regard to the other Big12 brass. The result: Nebraska started looking around (as well as the other Big boys)....next thing you know, Big 10 catches a bigger fish and Mizzou is left out.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone1 View Post

Mizzou is the fool here, because they burned their bridges in the Big12 without ever having a real offer from the Big10. The Big12 tried repeatedly to get Mizzou to give a commitment and they wouldn't do it. In fact, I've heard they behaved smugly and aloof in regard to the other Big12 brass. The result: Nebraska started looking around (as well as the other Big boys)....next thing you know, Big 10 catches a bigger fish and Mizzou is left out.
    WOW! But not surprising that those arrogant arses would do that. They've always been a little too smug for a program that really has zero history.

Champ Built4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond repute Built4Speed's Avatar

WOW! But not surprising that those arrogant arses would do that. They've always been a little too smug for a program that really has zero history.
    I kinda get that from them too. Makes sense that the Big 10 is telling them to piss off now.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone1 View Post
    The Big10 has flirted with Mizzou for a few years now. They've toyed with the idea of going to 12 teams so they could get the Conf Championship Game (dollars) and Mizzou was a double dip move because it would bring that TV market.

You are EXACTLY right. Great synopsis.

HD

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

I've heard the talking heads say the Big10 doesn't need them because Illinois already brings them the St.Louis market. I find that laughable.
    Kind of. The East St. Louis, Springfield, Decatur markets are all covered by St. Louis TV stations. So, even though there are fewer Illinois fans than Mizzou fans in the actual city of St. Louis, St. Louis's cable affiliate already carries the Big Ten Network. STL cable was a charter Big Ten Network carrier actually.

From a TV standpoint, UIUC DOES (already has) bring the STL market.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Perhaps because they have the ugliest school colors known to man?

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by markay714 View Post
    Perhaps because they have the ugliest school colors known to man?
    purple and piss?

obviously< twss

+ Reply to Thread