+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is Tech's market?

Champ dawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the rough

Re: What is Tech's market?

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Extending the runway another 1000' or so can't be that expensive vs how it might help Ruston in this situation or business dealings in the future. It's strictly vision.
    I work on airports for a living. This type of work is mostly federally funded through the FAA's AIP fund. (Although something this large would have to be an earmark). There is no 'landing fee' at Ruston -- it's a publicly owned airport.

If you're designing for charter services, you're looking closer to a 6,500-7,000'x150' runway, which would be many millions. I agree that it needs to be a long term goal, but I don't think it's going to keep us out of any conference...

Champ dawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by NathanDarby View Post
    I'd love to see our airport expanded as much as anybody, but those making the decision are thinking about it from a business perspective, not the perspective of a Tech fan.
    These decisions are not made from a business perspective, they are made from the FAA (federal government)'s perspective. Troy Municipal Airport here in Alabama is working on a 1,000' extension to bring them to a little over 6,000'x100'. The only traffic that needs it are football charters coming in...so they don't have to fly in to Montgomery (55mi./~1hr away). Most of the rest of their traffic are Army Blackhawks, which don't benefit at all from the extension.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NathanDarby View Post
    You may be surprised at the cost. I sure was. In data I could find costs range anywhere from $200 to over well over $1,000 per square foot, depending on land cost, litigation, and the actual runway construction. 737's and such are heavy airplanes, and require stronger runways than small private aircraft. Ruston's runway is 100 feet wide, so adding 1,000 feet in length equals 100,000 square feet of new runway. Even at the low end of $200 per square foot that is $20 MILLION. I did find one Flordia DOT study that gave a price of about $1,500 per LINEAR foot for asphalt runway, however this only includes cost of runway itself, not land, permits, lighting, etc. So if that is accurate that gives a total of only $1.5 million for a 1,000 foot addition. I would be curious if there has been any published cost estimates of extending the Ruston runway. Anybody recall ever seeing one?

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/154910/

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ad.main/32716/

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/planning/...s/Airports.pdf

Now, I agree it would be a nice boost to Ruston if we can get this done. I was just wanting to point out that it can be very expensive, so that may be the reason for the delay. Especially if we have the additional cost of moving an existing road to accomodate the new runway. And Dawgpix brings up an excellent point. What is the point of other teams flying into Ruston if they are staying at Monroe or Shreveport hotels anyway?

And back on topic, I agree we should claim the El Dorado market.
    As Dawgcrazy says, it's all federal money. The Ruston Leader published a story on this a year or two ago when the road relocation obstacle came up.

It's not where you stay, but where do you go after the game to get back on the chartered plane. Tech has stayed in lots of hotels that were NOT in the same town as the stadium. Navy, Nebraska, Kansas comes to mind . . . so that's not a factor. And, they don't always practice at the game stadium on their Friday walk-thru.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    I'm a former El Doradian.
    No -- you will ALWAYS be an El Doradian.

Champ rockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond repute

I think we should work on getting bigger and better hotels and good attractions in Ruston, and we should not worry about the airport. Monroe is expanding the airport there, and it will be more than adequate. We also have Shreveport an hour away. I don't think the airport situation is really that big of a deal. If we could get some big quality hotels in Ruston, the drive of 30 min to an hour wouldn't be a big deal.

On a side note, it is a good thing that Ruston is starting to grow. I wished some of these places would have been popping up while I was in college.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawgcrazy View Post
    These decisions are not made from a business perspective, they are made from the FAA (federal government)'s perspective. Troy Municipal Airport here in Alabama is working on a 1,000' extension to bring them to a little over 6,000'x100'. The only traffic that needs it are football charters coming in...so they don't have to fly in to Montgomery (55mi./~1hr away). Most of the rest of their traffic are Army Blackhawks, which don't benefit at all from the extension.
    Bump!!! As should Ruston/Tech with Federal funds if need be. Thanks dawgcrazy!

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

Obama is holding Ruston back!

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawgcrazy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Obama is holding Ruston back!
    It would surprise me; due to our state voting GOP don't you know.

+ Reply to Thread