+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Houston and legislators pushing for BIG 12 now

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Houston and legislators pushing for BIG 12 now

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe View Post
    Lsu and Arkansas to the big 12...in 24 months.

money dying up in states like ark, la, ms, bama, ga

Texas is where the money, tv set and recruits are.
    This is the second or third post I have seen about the economy being so bad in the SEC states. I don't know if they were all you but I will pretend they were. Why are you pushing this idea so hard. It is pretty bad right now but why do you say the money is drying up?

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    This is the second or third post I have seen about the economy being so bad in the SEC states. I don't know if they were all you but I will pretend they were. Why are you pushing this idea so hard. It is pretty bad right now but why do you say the money is drying up?
    other than tradition there is little left for the SEC when looking at the future of mega conferences......esp. if SEC can not land UT,aTm,TT and OU. That leaves lsu with an easy move.
    • Going east gets SEC no new tv sets.
    • LSU gets a large influx of good students from Texas....
    • Houston has become a major recruiting hub for lsu
    • Texas area growing rapidly...golden triangle....Louisiana, MS, Bama losing population.
    • lsu's alumni base has trended west to Texas... more than ours has.
    • aTm and Texas among the best tier 1 universities...lsu is a lower end tier 1
    • State of texas about to sink millions to get TT to tier 1
    • lsu, Tenn & bama upset that cbs puts UF on at least 2 more times a year for showcase games than they get.
    • the DFW area is richer than LA, MS and Alabama combined.
    they go where the money is and will be..

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

other than tradition there is little left for the SEC when looking at the future of mega conferences......esp. if SEC can not land UT,aTm,TT and OU. That leaves lsu with an easy move.
    • Texas area growing rapidly...golden triangle....Louisiana, MS, Bama losing population.
    • lsu, Tenn & bama upset that cbs puts UF on at least 2 more times a year for showcase games than they get.
    Why not just invite TCU and Houston and keep the Florida, Alabama, Georgia association and add 2 large TV markets and schools that would probably grow quickly once they were in an AQ conference.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

The big 12 just almost imploded. I don't think so. Ark is only considering it because of their history with those schools. LSU has been in the SEC a lot longer.

There's money in TX, yet they still almost got destroyed as a conference. Doesn't sound like a good idea...at all.

I'll say it right now, LSU is NOT going to the Big 12-2, just like we were never going to hire Frank Scelfo as a coach.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Two things about this thread.

(1) I wish we had strong Tech legislators who would attempt this type of a power play.

(2) The La. economy is gonna drop so fast that you will probably have your choice of Saints tickets this fall. SoLa fans will be StubHub's biggest suppliers this year.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Big Dog RGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the rough

Going east gets SEC no new tv sets.
    If the UNC moved to the SEC you don't think that would add more tv's? I know that the Florida teams, Clemson and Ga Tech have been mentioned more, but I think UNC, UVA, and/or VaTech has a fair chance of being invited if the SEC expands (or has to replace a team).

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Only because the Saints won the Super Bowl do I hold any hope of Houston getting into the Big 12. Or for that matter, any additional expansion happening anytime soon that gets us in CUSA.

It could happen, but I'm sure not holding my breath. We just need to have a good season, kick some butts, and take the spotlight away from Boise as the next national break-out team!

Go Dawgs!

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RGTech98 View Post
    If the UNC moved to the SEC you don't think that would add more tv's? I know that the Florida teams, Clemson and Ga Tech have been mentioned more, but I think UNC, UVA, and/or VaTech has a fair chance of being invited if the SEC expands (or has to replace a team).
    UVA and VaTech are tied together. When VaTech joined the ACC the governor of Virginia told the ACC he would have the legislature act to remove UVA from the conference if VaTech wasn't invited.

Could he have pulled it off???? Probably not but it did weigh in their decision. This was documented just like the old SWC decision in 1995.

Big Dog RGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    UVA and VaTech are tied together. When VaTech joined the ACC the governor of Virginia told the ACC he would have the legislature act to remove UVA from the conference if VaTech wasn't invited.

Could he have pulled it off???? Probably not but it did weigh in their decision. This was documented just like the old SWC decision in 1995.
    I know that happened, but the current governor got his undergrad from ND, MsBA from BC and then his law degree from Regent (in VA). So maybe politics has changed enough to allow them to separate.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

State legislatures need to get over themselves. They are nothing to these conferences.

Also, LSU isn't leaving the SEC. They wouldn't leave if it was the smart decision, which it isn't.

Varsity Bulldog former_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really nice

Lsu and Arkansas to the big 12...in 24 months.

money dying up in states like ark, la, ms, bama, ga

Texas is where the money, tv set and recruits are.
    Why in the world would any team move out of the SEC to the Big 12? The profit sharing in the SEC pays tons more than the unequal profit sharing in the Big 12. Arkansas would lose money to move to the Big 12 and TV. The SEC has a contract with ESPN. Texas is looking to cut their own TV deal.

No way in the world would I want to move from the cash cow that is the SEC to the Big 12, which is driven by Texas.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by former_d1 View Post
    Why in the world would any team move out of the SEC to the Big 12? The profit sharing in the SEC pays tons more than the unequal profit sharing in the Big 12. Arkansas would lose money to move to the Big 12 and TV. The SEC has a contract with ESPN. Texas is looking to cut their own TV deal.

No way in the world would I want to move from the cash cow that is the SEC to the Big 12, which is driven by Texas.
    And a conference that doesn't have it's act together.

The why to changing conferences will be different for each team - but money or the promise of future money will definitely be the main reason.

Here is my humble opinions on this year's conference realignment - each conference is/was afraid of which one might be the 1st superconference and how that will affect the rest. The B12 is proof positive that no conference will simply shut its doors and allow itself to disappear. Too many egos on the one hand and 'hangers on' on the other (the ISU, Baylor's, etc).

But with the threat of a superconference, each conference wants to get to 12 members to be set for a move to 16 teams for when the superconference era begins. The B10 and the PAC have just accomplished this 1st step at the expense of the B12. The B12 either assumes that superconferences won't happen because UT was the pivot man for either a B16 or P16 OR they are testing the water to lure away other established AQ teams that will add market value to their conference (which is why UH, UTEP probably won't be considered in the near future). Will the B12 make enough promised or concession to lure away current AQ teams? Who knows, but I believe that they will try before they consider accepting a non-AQ team to join them. If the B12 thinks that no conference will attain superconference status then they might delay adding schools indefinitely.

The most crucial conference for LA Tech's future is the BE; when might the paranoia of being left out of the superconference race cause them to expand?

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by former_d1 View Post

I'm with you. I would be shocked if any team left the SEC.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    I'm with you. I would be shocked if any team left the SEC.

it is about future revenue potential....is the SEC does not expand west they will have the smallest tv contract of any potential mega conference....and Florida has already said it wants a MUCH bigger cut of the tv contract pie.....a much bigger cut.

It has laready started...name one oil or gas deal in this state where the person that makes the decisions is not in texas.....from exploration, financing, project management....it was all trending to Houston...Katrina just finished the deal...so you will not be able to get an import export letter of credit from a major bank in new orleans....you'll have to talk with someone in Houston or Mobile...

+ Reply to Thread