+ Reply to Thread

Thread: For those making the trip to Norman

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

For those making the trip to Norman

Some of yall know I don't live in Tulsa anymore, I've lived in the Norman area for about four years now and am working on my masters at OU, so I thought I'd post some food and entertainment ideas for those making the trip for the game. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer them.

Entertainment:

Moore Warren Theater- Best movie experience I've ever seen, and probably one of the best theaters in the country. It's about a 5 mile drive north on I-35 in Moore (between 4th and 19th on west side of I-35). Moore is doing well after the tornado last year, theater took a direct hit and has recovered nicely.

Andy Alligators amusement/water park- Mini-golf, rock wall, go-karts, water park requires separate admission. Good place for the kids, kind of like a better Celebration Station. North edge of Norman, I-35 and Indian Hills Rd. http://www.andyalligators.com/

Sooner Mall- Main St between I-35 and 36th Ave NW. Just south of the Hilton Garden Inn alot of folks are staying at. Standard shopping mall.

Food:
    A lot of options along I-35 near the hotel north an south of Robinson St, chains like Olive Garden, Red Lobster, BJ's, Charleston's, Chili's. The Shack Seafood & Oyster Bar is pretty good, probably best you'll get in Oklahoma, but not up to Louisiana standards. East side of interstate along 24th Ave NW has a Target, Academy, Wal-Mart, Cheddar's, Five Guys Burgers, Logan's, Chipotle, Zio's, etc.

Downtown has McNelly's Pub which is really good, but busy. Alot of beer options and very good food. Van's Pig Stand downtown is pretty good bbq also. Google maps says the heart of downtown is a 21 min walk from the stadium. Might be worth it close to game time to walk.

Close to campus has some more local places. Victoria's pasta shoppe is our favorite Italian- On White st just north of Boyd St/campus. The Mont is good mixture of burgers/mexican its at Boyd and Classen, northeast side of campus. Hideaway Pizza is a good Oklahoma original north side on Boyd. The Library Bar and Grill is decent, pretty cool atmosphere on Boyd Northwest side, which wich sandwich chain is good on Boyd directly north of the stadium. If you want German go to Royal Bavaria at SE 34th and Sooner Rd in Moore. Its seems out in the middle of nowhere, probably 15 minute drive from campus, but best German food in the area.

There's pretty much something for everyone on Boyd St north edge of campus, those I listed are the only ones I can speak for. All the restaurants on Boyd are probably about a 10 minute walk from the stadium. Game day will be ridiculous, so probably best to park early and walk everywhere. Parking sucks in Norman downtown and campus areas even with nothing going on. You shouldn't have a problem parking at those places near Robinson, I-35, 36th, 24th, etc. Those are pretty far from campus.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Re: For those making the trip to Norman

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaPup View Post
    Some of yall know I don't live in Tulsa anymore, I've lived in the Norman area for about four years now and am working on my masters at OU, so I thought I'd post some food and entertainment ideas for those making the trip for the game. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer them.

Entertainment:

Moore Warren Theater- Best movie experience I've ever seen, and probably one of the best theaters in the country. It's about a 5 mile drive north on I-35 in Moore (between 4th and 19th on west side of I-35). Moore is doing well after the tornado last year, theater took a direct hit and has recovered nicely.

Andy Alligators amusement/water park- Mini-golf, rock wall, go-karts, water park requires separate admission. Good place for the kids, kind of like a better Celebration Station. North edge of Norman, I-35 and Indian Hills Rd. http://www.andyalligators.com/

Sooner Mall- Main St between I-35 and 36th Ave NW. Just south of the Hilton Garden Inn alot of folks are staying at. Standard shopping mall.

Food:
    A lot of options along I-35 near the hotel north an south of Robinson St, chains like Olive Garden, Red Lobster, BJ's, Charleston's, Chili's. The Shack Seafood & Oyster Bar is pretty good, probably best you'll get in Oklahoma, but not up to Louisiana standards. East side of interstate along 24th Ave NW has a Target, Academy, Wal-Mart, Cheddar's, Five Guys Burgers, Logan's, Chipotle, Zio's, etc.

Downtown has McNelly's Pub which is really good, but busy. Alot of beer options and very good food. Van's Pig Stand downtown is pretty good bbq also. Google maps says the heart of downtown is a 21 min walk from the stadium. Might be worth it close to game time to walk.

Close to campus has some more local places. Victoria's pasta shoppe is our favorite Italian- On White st just north of Boyd St/campus. The Mont is good mixture of burgers/mexican its at Boyd and Classen, northeast side of campus. Hideaway Pizza is a good Oklahoma original north side on Boyd. The Library Bar and Grill is decent, pretty cool atmosphere on Boyd Northwest side, which wich sandwich chain is good on Boyd directly north of the stadium. If you want German go to Royal Bavaria at SE 34th and Sooner Rd in Moore. Its seems out in the middle of nowhere, probably 15 minute drive from campus, but best German food in the area.

There's pretty much something for everyone on Boyd St north edge of campus, those I listed are the only ones I can speak for. All the restaurants on Boyd are probably about a 10 minute walk from the stadium. Game day will be ridiculous, so probably best to park early and walk everywhere. Parking sucks in Norman downtown and campus areas even with nothing going on. You shouldn't have a problem parking at those places near Robinson, I-35, 36th, 24th, etc. Those are pretty far from campus.
    thanks--Mcnellys sounds like the spot. Tech is having an alumn/student tailgate party --

Puppy CFB Mom is an unknown

Football Re: For those making the trip to Norman

Thanks for the great info. Will be our first trip to Norman. Appreciate all the recommendations!

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

We ate at the Mont after playing OU in basketball last season. Really enjoyed it and they stayed open late.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Thanks for the info. I was waffling on whether I was gonna make this trip after my original plans didn't pan out as expected but something happened to change my mind. My dad had a tennis group that played every week comprised of a bunch of great guys and they all got to be good friends and were all pretty much in the same business. I eventually got to know all of these men and most of them became friends/customers of mine over the years. One of them was a QB for OU back in the day...Jim Harris. He always joked with me and said, " When TECH goes over to play OU I'll take you over and show you a good time!" He passed away not long ago and I thought about him a bunch when this game was announced. Two days ago I got a call at my shop. It was Jim's widow who said she remembered Jim telling me that he'd do such a thing and she'd, "..be honored if I'd accept her tickets.." that OU gave Jim after he left OU. I can't describe how I felt right then but I can tell you that I'm damn sure going and I'm so very humbly honored to sit in Mr. Harris' seats for this game. I bet they're pretty good ones. He never lost a game and helped to win two national championships for them...and he was a great, friendly, old-school tough guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlY2gH5GvTs

http://espn.go.com/classic/s/Where_now_harris_jimmy.html

Last edited by marketdawg; 08-08-2014 at 08:02 PM.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

“Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Great story!

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

got my tickets in mail today for OU/ ULL. looking serious at Old D game, but being a wussy, waiting to see what teams looks like --have plenty of airline/hotel miles. North Texas is a lock, family all over Dallas/Ft worth. I have been invited to fly to new york by company I do some sales with, hotel flight etc covered BUT it would interfer with S Miss game== if all goes well, I will only miss Auburn and maybe Birmingham. When i was younger, I always wanted to be one of those old guys who made most away games== living the dream.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    thanks--Mcnellys sounds like the spot. Tech is having an alumn/student tailgate party --
    O'Connell's Irish Pub --about 1 block north of the stadium-- is a great spot. It's also been a campus staple for decades. It's located at 769 Asp Ave. I'm really surprised that Tulsapup left O'Connells off his list. But I highly recommend it.

Big Dog SpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the rough SpaceDawg's Avatar

For those familiar with Norman... I see there is free parking at the Lloyd Noble Center. How is the walk from there to the stadium? Looks to be about 1.25 miles each way. Is that doable (and safe) after the game?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceDawg View Post
    For those familiar with Norman... I see there is free parking at the Lloyd Noble Center. How is the walk from there to the stadium? Looks to be about 1.25 miles each way. Is that doable (and safe) after the game?
    It's a long walk. But it may be the best you can do. The stadium is straight down Jenkins from the Lloyd.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    O'Connell's Irish Pub --about 1 block north of the stadium-- is a great spot. It's also been a campus staple for decades. It's located at 769 Asp Ave. I'm really surprised that Tulsapup left O'Connells off his list. But I highly recommend it.
    HD,

You should mention that O'Connell's has moved from its original spot right next to the stadium to Campus Corner (ASP Street). I talked to someone else already this week that did not know they had moved! Also that the young lady behind the bar is not hard to look at whilst you drink a cold beer! ;-)

DFiH

+ Reply to Thread