+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 'nother No-Hitter!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

'nother No-Hitter!

What's in the water this year?

And, if you're a ML pitcher looking for a no-no, just wait til your next start vs. the Rays.

That's.....what?.....5 no-hitters this season?!

Champ KDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really nice

Re: 'nother No-Hitter!

amazing what no steriods does to baseball

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KDawg33 View Post
    That should have no effect on these no-hitters. Yeah, no 'roids means fewer HRs, but to break up a no-hitter an infield single or a blooper will do.

I like strong pitching. I was a huge Orioles' fan "back in the day" with Jim Palmer, et al and a big Braves' fan when they had Maddox, Glavine, Smoltz......

But, this is highly unusual. And it's till June! How many more to come?

Champ KDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    That should have no effect on these no-hitters. Yeah, no 'roids means fewer HRs, but to break up a no-hitter an infield single or a blooper will do.

I like strong pitching. I was a huge Orioles' fan "back in the day" with Jim Palmer, et al and a big Braves' fan when they had Maddox, Glavine, Smoltz......

But, this is highly unusual. And it's till June! How many more to come?

Well its not like the pitching got amazing in the last few years, and especially this year. Not saying riods are just homeruns and etc... but you have to think about it.

Champ Tdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the rough Tdawg87's Avatar

I agree to a point, but you still have to have the hand-eye coordination to put the bat on the ball. I think pitchers are just better right now. Baseball is the most cyclical of all sports and I think the next few years will be a pitching era as it was in the 60's.

Not many will agree with this...but...whatever it is, it's kinda nice to see good, if not great pitching, instead of gorilla's hitting it to the moon every other at bat. (I'm old school by the way) :icon_wink:

Big Dog kdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of light

Roids, or lack there of, definitely play apart in this. A blooper will do, but you have to think how many one and two hit performances there are with roids in the picture. Now take the enhancers out of the picture...every hit that used to have just enough pop to get through the middle of the infield, or find the gap, or hit the wall now doesn't. The shortstop has the extra split second to cover, the ball that used to it the wall is caught at the warning track. And strength doesn't just apply to how far the ball flies but how quickly they can get around on a 95 mph fastball to maybe at least fight off a foul ball. It does enhance the pitchers chances of throwing a no-no.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Tampa Bay Rays are on ESPN now. 'Nuff said.

Added in edit: Another no-hitter. Matt Garza of the Rays no-hits the Tigers.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

The last time five no hitters were thrown was 1991. Were roids rampant back then?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    The last time five no hitters were thrown was 1991. Were roids rampant back then?
    I would say Roids took the firm foothold league wide in about 1992 - Jose to the Rangers

And the lack of amphetimines is probably kicking in also....
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

I dont know what is crazier, 5 no-hitters. Or 3 of them have dealt with the Tampa Bay Rays.

I dont know what is crazier, 5 no-hitters. Or 3 of them have dealt with the Tampa Bay Rays.
    I thought I had read that 4 of the previous 5 no-hitters came against the Rays, or something like that. In any event, there must be something in the water down there.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I thought I had read that 4 of the previous 5 no-hitters came against the Rays, or something like that. In any event, there must be something in the water down there.
    Two against them and the one last night.

Keep in mind that there should actually be six this year...just after the break.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

I saw Tim Kurkijan (sp) on ESPN this morning talking about the improved pitching in baseball and the inordinate amount of no-hitters and perfect games this season.

He talked about Tony Gwynn trying to teach his son about hitting in the major leagues, but he said that Tony is having difficulty. According to Kurkijan, Gwynn said that when he came up the Padres had one pitcher who was able to throw a fast ball 92 MPH. Today, he said it is not uncommon for a team to have three guys who can throw 98 MPH or more. That might not sound like much difference if you think of it in terms of driving a car, but it's a huge difference when you are standing at the plate.

I'm actually glad to see it. Baseball relied on the long ball to sell the sport for too long. That is partly what led to the steroid problem. Prior to the roid era, good pitching was one of the best parts of baseball, but it was overshadowed for many years. I'm glad it's making a comeback.

+ Reply to Thread