+ Reply to Thread

Thread: You Might Find This Of Interest

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

You Might Find This Of Interest

As some of you may remember from my previous posts on this subject, I am the school manager and lead recruiter for Tech at the Naval Surface Warfare Center - Dahlgren (VA). I have the privilege and honor to be able to come down and recruit graduating engineers, scientists, mathematicians, and computer scientists to work at NSWC on programs of great importance to the nation's security. It is really an easy job once I explain to them the kinds of programs we have here (BMD, railguns, DEW, CBRN detection/defense, UAV, shipboard combat systems, missiles, gun systems, radars, EW, SLBM, etc.). They get to work on some the country's most technically challenging security problems and contribute to the defense of the U.S. So as you can see, I do not have to do much selling of the base to generate a lot of interest.

We just finished the 2009-2010 recruiting year and I am very pleased to say that we hired eight Tech grads from this year's class from a number of different disciplines. That gives us a total of 10 over the past year or so (we hired two last year). When I made my first trip back to Tech to recruit last spring (2009), I was the only grad on base. By this fall, that number could be up to as many as 13-14 as I am still working on another 2-3. In all likelihood, Tech will have the second most grads hired this year behind that other Tech in Blacksburg. Tech grads stack up very well against other schools and can more than hold their own when it comes to abilities. I recruit other schools as well and Tech takes a back seat to no one. Yes I am biased, but I have to put that aside and do what is best for the base and the Navy. The quality of our students is exceptional and I think our hiring numbers prove this. Our charge is to recruit the “best and brightest”. My biggest regret is that we cannot hire all of the kids that are qualified. I have to pare my recommendations down to the top 4-6 that I talk to, even though I normally have twice that many (or more) that are great candidates.

Anyway, I am thrilled to be able to help in some small way, the current generation of grads to get their career start. I consider it an honor to do so. Plus it is a lot of fun to come back a couple of times each year. I am looking forward to returning in the fall for the Career Fair. I just hope it coincides with a home football game....

By the way, Ron Cathey, Jan Grigsby, and Angie Kelly in the Career Center do an outstanding job of organizing and setting up recruiting events on campus and making us feel at home when we arrive. They always make it easy for me to meet the kids and set up interviews. They are exceedingly good at what they do and Tech is very fortunate to have these folks on staff.

Just thought some of you might be interested in hearing this.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Re: You Might Find This Of Interest

That is awesome!

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Tremendous! After all, for all of our sports discussions, education is the reason for Tech's existence.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Railguns are cool.

Varsity Bulldog TechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    By the way, Ron Cathey, Jan Grigsby, and Angie Kelly in the Career Center do an outstanding job of organizing and setting up recruiting events on campus and making us feel at home when we arrive. They always make it easy for me to meet the kids and set up interviews. They are exceedingly good at what they do and Tech is very fortunate to have these folks on staff.
    I can echo that comment! The folks in the career center not only make it easy for employers (as I have had the opportunity to return and recruit at Tech), but also for the students. While I was in school, Ms. Angie was making sure that everyone interviewing had his ducks in a row (i.e. on time, extra resumes, etc.)!

I also know that Ron Cathey meets with students to review resumes, which is very beneficial. He actually helped me to change my around a bit.

Yup...good people.

Champ girldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud of

Hookdown, you're giving back to our university in a way many of us wish we could. You make us proud!

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Railguns are cool.

"All roads lead to Putin" -- Thomas Jefferson

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post

Just thought some of you might be interested in hearing this.
    You darn tootin' your post is interesting to ALL in the Tech nation.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

To add to this, I've just changed companies late last year and am now at Dow in Plaquemine (city). We recently had our new employee training and had 3 Tech grads, including myself, that outnumbered lsu, Tulane, and Mississippi State grads. Also, know of at least 10 other Tech grads working at our site. Pretty impressive that the top chemical manufacturer in the country, at one of their biggest sites, has a big showing of Tech engineers despite being right across the river from kitty university!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

VERY COOL, Hookdown!!!!!!!!! Thank you for what you do!

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saltydawg View Post

That would be us....

That photo actually comes from a very short video of the firing (which can be found on our website). The flames are from the projectile (7 pound slug) disintegrating as it leaves the launcher. This was a 10.64 Megajoule shot. We are ramping up to a 32 MJ shot in the future.

Should have posted the website in case anyone is interested:

http://www.navsea.navy.mil/nswc/dahlgren/default.aspx

A little history on NSWC Dahlgren:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_S...lgren_Division

Thanks for all the kind words, I do consider it a great privilege and honor to be able to recruit at Tech. I am not rich so I cannot give back a lot in money (although I wish I could!), but I try to do it in other ways if I can. Helping these kids get a great job is one way that I can benefit a number of parties in the process. It is something that I enjoy very much.

+ Reply to Thread