+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Another WAC basher...

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Another WAC basher...

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux Dawgs View Post
    First of all, congrats.

Second....I partially agree with what you are trying to say. In regards to football, NEVADA does nothing for me. They seem to kick our A$$ but when given the opportunity to show something on national TV, they lay an egg.

VS the red headed catholics, egg
    VS Mizzou, egg

I may be missing their good OOC win, but Nevada should not be in this discussion if the discussion is football.

Fresno has done some impressive things, more 3-5 years ago than lately, but still some good wins.

I saw MTSU beat USM on tv and I saw Troy beat OSU and Mizzou on tv. Other than that I have NOTHING to add for the belch.

Guys, we are better than the Belch in football, even without Boise....but you are kidding yourselves if you think that gap has not closed alot....
    The gap closed from 10,000 miles to 7000 miles apart. How is that?

Actually, I think losing Boise knocked the WAC down to CUSA level as for a competitive football programs.

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

A statistical look at the WAC vs the SBC last year in FB and BB:

(Sagarin Ratings)

Football:
    59. Fresno St - 63. MTSU (WAC)
    70. Nevada - 69. Troy (Sun Belt)
    85. Idaho - 109. ULM (WAC)
    99. La Tech - 114. FAU (WAC)
    100. Utah St - 123. ULL (WAC)
    105. Hawaii - 129. Arkansas St (WAC)
    138. San Jose St - 134. FIU (Sun Belt)
    153. New Mex St - 160. North Texas (WAC)
    - - 187. Western Kentucky

Basketball:
    44. Utah St - 137. WKU (WAC)
    74. Nevada - 157. North Texas (WAC)
    97. NMSU - 164. Troy (WAC)
    99. La Tech - 179. MTSU (WAC)
    159. Idaho - 187. Denver (WAC)
    162. Fresno St - 206. Arkansas St (WAC)
    175. San Jose St - 214. FAU (WAC)
    232. Hawaii - 222. ULL (Sun Belt)
    - - 228. USA
    - - 269. ULM
    - - 282. UALR
    - - 302. FIU
    - - 315. UNO

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux Dawgs View Post
    First of all, congrats.

Second....I partially agree with what you are trying to say. In regards to football, NEVADA does nothing for me. They seem to kick our A$$ but when given the opportunity to show something on national TV, they lay an egg.

VS the red headed catholics, egg
    VS Mizzou, egg

I may be missing their good OOC win, but Nevada should not be in this discussion if the discussion is football.

Fresno has done some impressive things, more 3-5 years ago than lately, but still some good wins.

I saw MTSU beat USM on tv and I saw Troy beat OSU and Mizzou on tv. Other than that I have NOTHING to add for the belch.

Guys, we are better than the Belch in football, even without Boise....but you are kidding yourselves if you think that gap has not closed alot....
    Troy beat OSU in 2007, the same year Hawaii ran the table and made a BCS bowl. Troy won the SBC this year and went 0-fer in the OOC slate vs FBS teams.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T_Won View Post
    A statistical look at the WAC vs the SBC last year in FB and BB:

(Sagarin Ratings)

Football:
    59. Fresno St - 63. MTSU (WAC)
    70. Nevada - 69. Troy (Sun Belt)
    85. Idaho - 109. ULM (WAC)
    99. La Tech - 114. FAU (WAC)
    100. Utah St - 123. ULL (WAC)
    105. Hawaii - 129. Arkansas St (WAC)
    138. San Jose St - 134. FIU (Sun Belt)
    153. New Mex St - 160. North Texas (WAC)
    - - 187. Western Kentucky
    I realize some folks don't like to face facts, but Sagarin difference is very close to what the line would be for head to head with a home advantage of 3 points. So...

Fresno favored at EVERY Sunbelt location.

Nevada a slight dog at Middle and Troy.

Idaho a favorite over every team other than Troy and Middle.

Same for Tech.

The oddsmakers don't often make mistakes, but taking hardheads do.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrew View Post
    Haha. What has Fresno done...Really?? Paper champions. Fresno likes to pound the chest like they are world beaters but think about it,they have really done nothing. Those who follow the WAC on a regular basis know Nevada is good but I dont think they register nationally.
    Idaho had 1 good season.
    Sorry I just dont think a Boise less wac is that good.

But lets make the most of it and own it like the broncos did
    I have to agree. We beat Fresno 2 times when they were nationally ranked and supposed to be in the BCS hunt, and I think we finished below .500 in both years. Hawaii gets some talk because no one can beat them on the island- big friggin deal. Nevada can't hang with a BCS school any day. Go back and look at the Mizzou and Notre Dame games for the proof.

I will give you that we can't really tell unless you put both conferences against the same competition or head to head. However, some on this board don't want the head to head because we are too good for it. So, can you really say that it is fact that across the board the WAC is better than the belt? I think not. And, I would add, your stats go out the window when the game is actually played. Especially considering who is the home team. See Boise v Tech last year for the proof. Also see Tech v Hawaii last year.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I have to agree. We beat Fresno 2 times when they were nationally ranked and supposed to be in the BCS hunt, and I think we finished below .500 in both years. Hawaii gets some talk because no one can beat them on the island- big friggin deal. Nevada can't hang with a BCS school any day. Go back and look at the Mizzou and Notre Dame games for the proof.

I will give you that we can't really tell unless you put both conferences against the same competition or head to head. However, some on this board don't want the head to head because we are too good for it. So, can you really say that it is fact that across the board the WAC is better than the belt? I think not.
    BCS formula, any rating, etc shows that the WAC is better even without BSU.

The sunbelt is the WORST conference and the WAC is not. It's that simple.

(also, one of those years we beat Fresno was 2005 when we finished 7-4)

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't remember that about 2005, thanks for keeping me honest.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

We've done the head to head thing with Sunbelt teams and in our worst years, beat them handily save the Bicknell giveaway to Middle. I suppose folks forget after a few years. The Sunbelt has REALLY imporoved since then.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post

So, can you really say that it is fact that across the board the WAC is better than the belt? I think not. And, I would add, your stats go out the window when the game is actually played.
    So pick another metric instead.

You don't want Sagarin, try BCS rankings. Don't like those? How about top 25 finishes? Bowl bids? Bowl wins? OOC wins? "Big name" wins? Head-to-head (limited as it is). Recruiting rankings. BCS bowls. Attendence. TV deal. Go ahead, find something measurable in which the SB beats the WAC (you can even take out Boise). I want to say that as a conference they may have beaten us on NFL players drafted in 2009 (I think we've got them in any other period, and ours this year were taken higher).

If we're just supposed to take your word for it, we're kind of stuck aren't we? You and Fox and the guy that blogged this say the conferences will be nearly equal, the rest of the non-SB world thinks not.
    Last edited by inudesu; 07-02-2010 at 10:32 AM.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

The offseason....

I'm so HAPPY! I focus on the World Cup, Tour de France, Women's Beach Volleyball

else I might get caught up in a stoooooooooopid thread arguing about just how bad the belch is!

Glad it ain't me.

Big Dog Darbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the rough

Glad to see you have been doing your home work Sean.

+ Reply to Thread