+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I Couldn't Figure Out

Champ Allgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud of

I Couldn't Figure Out

......where to post this. But do any of y'all have Bellsouth/AT&T FastAccess DSL? If so, do your internet speeds slow down at around 7pm? And by slow down, I mean slower than dial up. We pay for 6Mbps, but get less than 10% after 7pm well into midnight. We've called cust service many times, bought a new modem, and a technician has come over once and installed a filter on our security line, but speeds are still ridiculous. My iPhone is faster on 3G than my internet.

Can anyone lend advice or experience? Maybe someone who works in this industry or knows all the technical jargon of the internet (PPoe, latency, ping, latency, etc.)

Champ BulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the rough

Re: I Couldn't Figure Out

Switch to cable...

I only know one person with DSL and they have slow speeds all the time. They don't get online much and really don't know the difference so they don't care.

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

Well, I'm not much help, but we are actually on ATT DSL, the cheapest (and, therefore, the slowest they have, I'm sure). After 15 years plus (to my kids' shame and outrage) we were on dial-up. So this is so fast for me compared to that. For you who are used to lightning speed, don't go by me. I haven't noticed the really, really slow part except this week a day or two I was playing a "wasting time" game on Pogo, and it was very slow--and it was after 7 p.m. Kept me from winning everytime. :icon_wink:

Champ Allgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by BulldawgBB View Post
    Switch to cable...

I only know one person with DSL and they have slow speeds all the time. They don't get online much and really don't know the difference so they don't care.
    We had our house built for satellite. Any idea how much it costs to run cable to a home?

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

That's why DH finally committed/upgraded to ATT DSL from our horrible dial-up. We already had satellite, and he didn't want to get cable just for internet. I don't know how much it would have cost since we didn't already have cable to bundle with, and he didn't want to bother with cable just for that. Like I said, ANYTHING was a step up from our decrepid dial-up days, so I can't complain too much. This does all the surfing/email stuff, and I can finally get you-tube and pictures to download without clogging up everything, albeit video is still kind of slow loading. Really enjoyed watching mbb games on here last season which I couldn't do before at all. Couldn't do any video or could only email/receive only one pic at a time before. Sorry, I know that doesn't answer your question. Just felt like commenting.

Champ BulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    We had our house built for satellite. Any idea how much it costs to run cable to a home?
    Well... In most cases the cable provider will bring the line to your house for free. You then have to run the wire to the inside or they will do that part for a fee.

My home is also set up for satellite as we live out in the woods and cable was not available at the time. What I have done is ran a dedicated line to the cable modem from Suddenlink and also have the house set up for satellite or cable for the tv.

Your same coax for satellite will also work for cable. It would be easiest for you to tie into an extra coax run to an area in your home that you do not use for tv. There should be a splitter either outside the home or in the attic/interior that breaks off and feeds the house. Either start there or add a new dedicated line.

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

Suddenlink really wants your business and will jump through hoops to get it. At least they did for me when we switch phone/dsl from AT&T for Suddenlink. Noticed a huge speed increase, and no more static/popping on the phone line, and a nice decrease in price too.

+ Reply to Thread