+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we better off in the sunbelt rather than the WAC

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Are we better off in the sunbelt rather than the WAC

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Also, I will add that it is not just ulm. It is more than half the belt that I would not want to be associated with and, I think, most Tech supporters feel the same.

It comes down to either stepping down and giving up or keep striving upward.
    Exactly. Thanks for saying that.

Let's be CLEAR! It's not just ULM. I don't want LA Tech associated with Arkansas St, ULL, FIU, FAU, Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky or Troy. UNT I would make an exception for.

The problem is, LA Tech has superior academics, athletics, budgets, TV contracts, --and just about anything else you can think of-- compared to those folks. Simply put, our university is clearly at a higher level than those schools are. Other than geography, there is literally NOTHING in the Scumbelt for us.

HD

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post

Let's be CLEAR! It's not just ULM. I don't want LA Tech associated with Arkansas St, ULL, FIU, FAU, Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky or Troy. UNT I would make an exception for.

The problem is, LA Tech has superior academics, athletics, budgets, TV contracts, --and just about anything else you can think of-- compared to those folks. Simply put, our university is clearly at a higher level than those schools are. Other than geography, there is literally NOTHING in the Scumbelt for us.

HD

Don't quote me on this, but I think I remember reading a thread that had budgets listed and we were almost at the bottom. There may have been one or two belts teams above us. Our grad rate being the highest in the state definitely puts us above a lot of the belt. Our conference has afforded us a nice TV situation. Our overall athletics, I think, are a cut above. Hopefully, LTAC will start getting the boosts it needs to put us way above the level of any belt school. As someone said earlier, perception is everything. When you see a WAC game on TV, you see gun slinging, unusual styles that are very attractive. When you see Troy play whoever it was last year, you can't wait to fall asleep or see some real football highlights on sportscenter.

Puppy bulldog is just really nicebulldog is just really nicebulldog is just really nicebulldog is just really nicebulldog is just really nicebulldog is just really nicebulldog is just really nicebulldog is just really nicebulldog is just really nicebulldog is just really nicebulldog is just really nice

I was born and raised in Ruston and actually was a letter winner at Tech, something that several of you can not say. If people really want to bash so much when a legitimate question is asked it just shows an insecurity. As a Tech grad, letter winner, and supporter I don't have that problem. I know that our athletic department is moving forward and that ultimately we should be above being in the WAC or the sunbelt. However, I wondered if anyone had looked at the numbers rather than just taking an adamant stance "just because". Without Boise we need to make the right business decision, as someone else pointed out, and the question was whether going to the belt would be the right one. I don't understand why people on message boards are so against discussion. Go ahead and red dot me, this clearly isn't the place for me. I'll stick to participating in athletics and supporting our program and stay away from people incapable of discussion. Thanks for those who contributed with numbers and facts.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I was born and raised in Ruston and actually was a letter winner at Tech, something that several of you can not say. If people really want to bash so much when a legitimate question is asked it just shows an insecurity. As a Tech grad, letter winner, and supporter I don't have that problem. I know that our athletic department is moving forward and that ultimately we should be above being in the WAC or the sunbelt. However, I wondered if anyone had looked at the numbers rather than just taking an adamant stance "just because". Without Boise we need to make the right business decision, as someone else pointed out, and the question was whether going to the belt would be the right one. I don't understand why people on message boards are so against discussion. Go ahead and red dot me, this clearly isn't the place for me. I'll stick to participating in athletics and supporting our program and stay away from people incapable of discussion. Thanks for those who contributed with numbers and facts.
    Trust me, the people on this board have no problem with "discussion".

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I tried to tell you that this was a dead horse. Quit beating it.
    But you are choosing to get mad instead of simply looking up the NUMEROUS threads on BB&B discussing "why".
    The discussion has happened many times. Just without you. If you think you can add some new info feel free to look it up and add your thoughts. As of now you have stated nothing new, therefore people are dismissing you. Soory dude. That is the curse of an message board.

But thanks for supporting TECH. This board has it's place in the fandom of Louisiana Tech but it is not meant for all. I suggest to all to grow a thick skin and remember... this is not personal, just entertainment.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Send this to the pit!

Big Dog MTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really nice

The problem is, LA Tech has superior...athletics...budgets...
    09/10 Directors cup standings

Denver 65
    MT T-79
    FIU T-128
    ULL 144
    ASU T-199
    FAU T-204
    UALR T-204
    ULL T-204
    Troy T-204
    WKU 220
    ULM T-230
    USA T-230
    Tech T-236

And please, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong(as I can't seem to find the information) but wouldn't La Tech's budget rank like 3rd or maybe even 4th in the Sun Belt?

I'm by no means suggesting that you guys belong in the Sun Belt. Just correcting a falsity in your post. Neither your athletics or budget are superior.
    Last edited by MTSUPiKapp; 07-06-2010 at 02:48 AM.

Big Dog MTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really niceMTSUPiKapp is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    When you see a WAC game on TV, you see gun slinging, unusual styles that are very attractive. When you see Troy play whoever it was last year, you can't wait to fall asleep or see some real football highlights on sportscenter.
    Troy averaged 36.5 points a game last year...

Just sayin.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MTSUPiKapp View Post
    09/10 Directors cup standings

Denver 65
    MT T-79
    FIU T-128
    ULL 144
    ASU T-199
    FAU T-204
    UALR T-204
    ULL T-204
    Troy T-204
    WKU 220
    ULM T-230
    USA T-230
    Tech T-236

And please, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong(as I can't seem to find the information) but wouldn't La Tech's budget rank like 3rd or maybe even 4th in the Sun Belt?

I'm by no means suggesting that you guys belong in the Sun Belt. Just correcting a falsity in your post. Neither your athletics or budget are superior.
    You don't honestly put any stock into those Director's Cup rankings, do you?

They rank Denver higher than Kansas.

Come on, man.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post

Come on, man.
    Of course he does! When you are desperate you'll grasp at anything.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DellDawg View Post
    Next time maybe you want for find something a little better to talk about in your first thread.
    I find it amazing that the forum name of "bulldog" was still available. I guess it was so obvious that no one thought to use it, or everyone assumed it was taken.

In high school the prettiest girl, I mean drop-dead gorgeous! was often the last one asked to dances, proms....everyone just assumed she was already spoken for.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Economics and timing will rule the day when it comes to where we make our conference home. Right now our home is the WAC. For the next year our home is the WAC. So much depends on how we perform on the field this year and next year. And how the rest of the conference does. Not to mention what future realignment moves come in the next couple of years. Right now and for the next couple of years we are better off in the WAC.

The admin is working the deal to our best advantage. We'll go where we need to go when it makes sense to go there.

Anyone who has ever faced circumstances in business or life in general where the deck seems stacked against you will tell you, you have to work with the hand you're dealt. Right now we have an OK hand to play and we have to make the most of it. I hope we never have to play a hand where the Sunbelt is option. But I'm not going to lose any sleep today worrying about it because its not an issue right now.

Bulldog theboro Ultimate jerk and not worth your timetheboro Ultimate jerk and not worth your timetheboro Ultimate jerk and not worth your timetheboro Ultimate jerk and not worth your timetheboro Ultimate jerk and not worth your timetheboro Ultimate jerk and not worth your timetheboro Ultimate jerk and not worth your timetheboro Ultimate jerk and not worth your timetheboro Ultimate jerk and not worth your timetheboro Ultimate jerk and not worth your timetheboro Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

HD
    HogDawg:
    Just because you post it, doesn't make it fact.

Tech's athletic budget is less than MT, Western Kentucky, FIU and North Texas.

Your basketball isn't as good as WKU or UNT.
    Your football isn't as good as MT or Troy.
    Your women's basketball isn't as good as Middle's or WKU's (in most years).
    Your baseball isn't as good as anyone in the SBC (except for ULM).

Academically, you're a freaking Tier 4.

As far as television, LaTech doesn't have a television contract, and as state earlier in the thread, once ESPN finishes the new WAC deal, it will be on par with the Sun Belt.

Everything you said may apply to ULM, but ULM is at the ass-end of the SBC. For you to assume that they are representative of everyone in the league makes you look borderline delusional.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MTSUPiKapp View Post
    Troy averaged 36.5 points a game last year...

Just sayin.
    Did they win any OOC games? Were they the belt champ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post

Come on, man.
    Yes I do. When you look at all things objectively, just an athletic program on the surface, Denver has a pretty good athletic department. They have 28 NCAA championships. Now, if you dig a little deeper, Denver racks up directors cup points in Hockey, Skiing and other non revenue sports. Denver sponsors 17 sports, Kansas sponsors 16, looking at things objectively, Denver does better with their 17 sports, than Kansas does with their 16. However, the two schools only sponsor 8 sports in common, and the two sports most fans will point to first if you look at things subjectively are football and MBB, Denver doesn't have football and couldn't compete with Kansas in MBB. So comparing the two schools is pretty much apples to oranges.

Now on the other hand, MT sponsors 15 sports, La Tech sponsors 14 sports, and we sponsor 13 in common. The only exceptions being, we don't sponsor women's bowling, and you don't sponsor men's tennis or women's golf.

So while the system may have some problems in specific comparisons, it definitely would provide a much more accurate comparison of MT to La Tech, than it would Denver to Kansas. And FWIW, Denver has a much higher budget than MT or Tech, without football.

+ Reply to Thread