+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Better Head To The Gym

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Re: Better Head To The Gym

yeah i'm 6'0 205 with really low % body fat (i lift heavy) and my 'hand done' bmi (just taking height/weight into consideration and not doing a full body measurement) says i'm obese, which is insane.

stupid policy. i'm all about fixing the obesity epidemic, but negative reinforcement via the gov isn't the way.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Don't tou know you're all supposed to fit into a certain look? Fcts and reality be damned.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    Don't tou know you're all supposed to fit into a certain look? Fcts and reality be damned.
    ehhhhh, i don't really consider being obese a 'look'. its detrimental to your health. stuff like purple hair, black lip stick, busting a sag are all 'looks', and are all fine with me, but most people in this country really do need to do a pushup or two.

like i said, its a problem, but a tax is handling it the wrong way.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't you supposed to also include the skin pinch measurements for BMI

1. the tricep area of your arm
    2. just above your knee
    3. your love handle area

I thought these gave you a much better # to go by.

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

[QUOTE=techman05;941827]Aren't you supposed to also include the skin pinch measurements for BMI/QUOTE]

Nope. Just height and weight.

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
    Originally Posted by champion110
    I am less angry this morning and ready to get back up on the horse. That girl was a freak last night.

Originally Posted by champion110
    In fact, I finally had to tell her to stop over the last weekend, because I was worn out and needed a break.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=DogtorEvil;941829]
    Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Aren't you supposed to also include the skin pinch measurements for BMI/QUOTE]

Nope. Just height and weight.

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
    According to that, I should just stop eating now. Forget Atkins, I need to get on the bulemia express.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
    Shouldn't it be a doctor's decision to measure BMI, not something mandated by the federal government?
    All they are doing is setting requirements for the basic information to be included in a centralized health records system. It would require additional legislation, significant new legislation, to take this to a level where you could be taxed based on your BMI.

And yes, like so many other single-figure indicators, BMI is a poor estimate of body fat. But it is a pretty good rough guide, which is all it's intended for. No competent physician is going to make major treatment decisions based solely on BMI, but most are going to look at BMI as one of many rough indicators of overall health. And you can bet that the gov't decided to get into the business of taxing or otherwise punishing people based on obesity, there would be a lot of debate about BMI before it were used as an index.

As a healthcare provider, I like the idea of centralized records. It makes a huge difference in one's ability to look at the big picture of a patient's health and to be able to provide continuity of care. And with info such as BMI provided to agencies such as the CDC in aggregate, it allows for some excellent healthcare research. In fact, we already rely pretty heavily upon knowledge based on research done using aggregate date from centralized healthcare records in Europe.

Varsity Bulldog TechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really niceTechDynamic is just really nice

Following this line of thinking, most of the Legislators (and administration for that matter) would be considered obese by their BMI. However, I'm sure there is legal language providing an exemption.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

I'm still having trouble understanding the histrionics about this.

1) If your current medical records are HIPAA compliant, they ALREADY have your BMI. This regulation basically just applies extant HIPAA guidelines to the new EHR.

2) The journalist, not the legislation or any other guidelines, links this with Michele Obama's anti-obesity campaign.

And BMI is still a generally good screening metric, and that's all any competent provider uses it for. Much like temperature and blood pressure, it provides some basic screening data, and is not meant to be an authoritative measure of an underlying condition. And BMI, though variable, is still correlated with health outcomes, even though it isn't a good measure of body fat.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

I don't like the idea of my records being shared with anybody but my doctor and I. I don't care if it compromises my care if I break my leg while visiting the Grand Canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by TechDynamic View Post
    Following this line of thinking, most of the Legislators (and administration for that matter) would be considered obese by their BMI. However, I'm sure there is legal language providing an exemption.

Exemption, ha, you give them too much credit. There is probably a rebate incentive written in for them no matter their BMI.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    I'm still having trouble understanding the histrionics about this.

My concerns with this are:

1) My health issues are between my doctor and myself. No one else needs to have access to them, especially the government.

2) All may be fine for now, but I do not trust what they might do in the future with this information. This administration or following ones.

Perhaps I am being totally paranoid, but I do not trust the government, regardless of which party is in power.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Exemption, ha, you give them too much credit. There is probably a rebate incentive written in for them no matter their BMI.

Yep, them, etc. .... possible income redistribution again?

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

And this tubby is who will enforce it. Don't you just love Dems/libs double standards.

U.S. Surgeon General Regina Benjamin.
    (Photo by Penny Starr/CNSNews.com)

+ Reply to Thread