+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drownings in S'Port

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Re: Drownings in S'Port

Terrible accident. My thoughts and prayers are with the surviving kid.

Call me insensitive, but what the hell were they thinking playing in the Red River of all places if they didn't know how to swim? Even if you are a good swimmer, the Red River is nothing to play around with.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Horrible. Just horrible.

Champ BulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the rough

Tragic. We hang out on the sandbar just down the river from where they were at. I consider myself to be a good swimmer but am always extra cautious when I go out in the river. It truly does drop off very quickly.

Champ DawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    Call me insensitive, but what the hell were they thinking playing in the Red River of all places if they didn't know how to swim? Even if you are a good swimmer, the Red River is nothing to play around with.
    After watching the NBC video that's the first thought that came to my mind. I feel terrible for these families' loss but this was a very preventable accident. Don't go to the water if you don't know how to swim.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

It's a 159 degrees and they had probably done this a 1,000 times but the river was lower than usual and thus they happened upon the sinkhole -

Surprised it doesn't happen more often than it does considering how accessible the river is and how changing the river is -

And this coming from someone who has done the exact same thing and worse in my youth on Bayon Dorcheat, Lake Bistineau, Lake Claiborne and various other north la waterways and empoundments...

Worse beatings I ever got was from floating a john boat out into my granddad's pond and then me and my brothers would dive and swim through the various concrete culverts he placed on the bottom for catfish habitats - first he beat us and then my dad beat us

And that's just one example of stupid things I did in the water without alcohol being involved

Kids are STUPID by nature -

This was just a tragic tragic situation
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    It's a 159 degrees and they had probably done this a 1,000 times but the river was lower than usual and thus they happened upon the sinkhole -

Surprised it doesn't happen more often than it does considering how accessible the river is and how changing the river is -

And this coming from someone who has done the exact same thing and worse in my youth on Bayon Dorcheat, Lake Bistineau, Lake Claiborne and various other north la waterways and empoundments...

Worse beatings I ever got was from floating a john boat out into my granddad's pond and then me and my brothers would dive and swim through the various concrete culverts he placed on the bottom for catfish habitats - first he beat us and then my dad beat us

And that's just one example of stupid things I did in the water without alcohol being involved

Kids are STUPID by nature
    -

Very true, but their parents, who also couldn't swim, were there watching them.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

And accidents happen...

And accidents happen...
    I agree. I did stupid crap when I was younger too. But this accident was entirely avoidable.
    All I'm saying is if you can swim, don't go play on sandbars in the Red River.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

I am shocked that the entire group had no swimmers. It's basic safety to learn how to swim.

Champ BulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the rough

Kids are STUPID by nature -

Now that's pretty dumb right there... Sounds exactly like something that I would have done when I was younger.

I've also gone down the Caney Lake (Minden) spillways (both) on tubes and went over the Bistineau spillway in a 10ft john boat - dove off tressels on Dorcheat (if you've seen Dorcheat when the bayou's low you realize how idiotic that was) and various other feats of stupidom...

I've also been in a swimming pool at RA Camp at Camp Harris with three lifeguards in addition to adult chaperones and had one of my childhood best friend's little brother drown and we did not even know it happened until we started looking for him when it was time to get out of the pool - and that's something I live with everyday 30+ years later

This was a tragic tragic accident - could it have been avoided, maybe, but once that sinkhole started collapsing and sucking & dragging them under they were at the mercy of the river

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the part that I can't help but be bothered by. Even if I couldn't swim, it wouldn't take me 2 seconds to jump in and try to save my kids.

I've also gone down the Caney Lake (Minden) spillways (both) on tubes and went over the Bistineau spillway in a 10ft john boat - dove off tressels on Dorcheat (if you've seen Dorcheat when the bayou's low you realize how idiotic that was) and various other feats of stupidom...

I've also been in a swimming pool at RA Camp at Camp Harris with three lifeguards in addition to adult chaperones and had one of my childhood best friend's little brother drown and we did not even know it happened until we started looking for him when it was time to get out of the pool - and that's something I live with everyday 30+ years later

This was a tragic tragic accident - could it have been avoided, maybe, but once that sinkhole started collapsing and sucking & dragging them under they were at the mercy of the river
    I hate to hear that. It is hard to imagine the thought. Drowning is the silent killer. The body's natural instinct is not to scream and whale about. Normally you don't even notice that the person is in danger.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

That is what people don't know. People are out on the sand bars all the time around Shreveport. I am amazed because it runs through my family's property and we wouldn't dream of it because we know of the dangers. This is an accident. Please stop the "they should have known how to swim" stuff. Things like this are not planned by anyone and the article said they hung out there all the time. They were in shallow water until one fell in the sink hole and they started grabbing each other and got pulled in. Both the Shreveport Times and Fox News have comments slamming the parent because no one could swim- please have a little more compassion. Two families each lost 3 children- they will live with that for the rest of their lives. They don't need second guessers.

+ Reply to Thread