+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Drownings in S'Port

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Re: Drownings in S'Port

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    This was a tragic tragic accident - could it have been avoided, maybe, but once that sinkhole started collapsing and sucking & dragging them under they were at the mercy of the river

That is what people don't know. People are out on the sand bars all the time around Shreveport. I am amazed because it runs through my family's property and we wouldn't dream of it because we know of the dangers. This is an accident. Please stop the "they should have known how to swim" stuff. Things like this are not planned by anyone and the article said they hung out there all the time. They were in shallow water until one fell in the sink hole and they started grabbing each other and got pulled in. Both the Shreveport Times and Fox News have comments slamming the parent because no one could swim- please have a little more compassion. Two families each lost 3 children- they will live with that for the rest of their lives. They don't need second guessers.
    I can't imagine the pain of losing one child. The pain of losing three of your sons in one day must be unbearable.

Guest Lilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

This was a tragic tragic accident - could it have been avoided, maybe, but once that sinkhole started collapsing and sucking & dragging them under they were at the mercy of the river

That is what people don't know. People are out on the sand bars all the time around Shreveport. I am amazed because it runs through my family's property and we wouldn't dream of it because we know of the dangers. This is an accident. Please stop the "they should have known how to swim" stuff. Things like this are not planned by anyone and the article said they hung out there all the time. They were in shallow water until one fell in the sink hole and they started grabbing each other and got pulled in. Both the Shreveport Times and Fox News have comments slamming the parent because no one could swim- please have a little more compassion. Two families each lost 3 children- they will live with that for the rest of their lives. They don't need second guessers.

Cal&Ken and I rarely agree on anything but I agree 1000% with this post.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgmatic View Post
    I can't imagine the pain of losing one child. The pain of losing three of your sons in one day must be unbearable.
    That was my first thought last night when I heard about this. What's worse is standing there and watching it happen, and hearing them call for help. Wow.... That will haunt these families for the rest of their lives. I really feel sorry for those people.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

This is just horrible........ My thoughts and prayers are with the families and the surviving friend. Just horrible........... I can't imagine losing a child. God be with them.....

Champ shreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of light shreveportdawg's Avatar

I don't think it's a matter of not having compassion for these parents. It was a tragic accident. THAT COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED COMPLETELY. If you can't swim, you have no business being in a swimming pool much less the Red River period. There is a fountain park 2 miles down the road in downtown if you want to play in the water. This is irresponsible and poor decision making in this case.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shreveportdawg View Post
    I don't think it's a matter of not having compassion for these parents. It was a tragic accident. THAT COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED COMPLETELY. If you can't swim, you have no business being in a swimming pool much less the Red River period.

My point exactly.

Champ BulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the rough

I am more disturbed every time that I see this reported on tv(local, national news, weather channel) by the observance of the parents. I was not there and do not know the full situation. However, I do know that if one of my kids was drowning you would find me in the water, period. If I didn't know how to swim I would either be very lucky to make it back to shore or you would be plucking my body out of the river. Either way there is NO WAY I would stand by and watch my kid(s) drown. That is an image that I would not be able to live with for the rest of my life.

Thoughts and prayers for the family.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

This goes beyond being able to swim. Michael Phelps has no business being in the Red River. With all the driftwood, revetments, etc. there's so many eddys that can suck you under, and then throw in gators and moccasins for good measure - it's just no place for people. I was surveying along the bank one time and got myself in pretty good trouble with quicksand. It's just too dangerous. But I really feel for the families of this and I'm sure they now know how bad a decision it was without being lectured.

Champ shreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of light shreveportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDawg View Post
    This goes beyond being able to swim. Michael Phelps has no business being in the Red River. With all the driftwood, revetments, etc. there's so many eddys that can suck you under, and then throw in gators and moccasins for good measure - it's just no place for people. I was surveying along the bank one time and got myself in pretty good trouble with quicksand. It's just too dangerous. But I really feel for the families of this and I'm sure they now know how bad a decision it was without being lectured.
    I wouldn't go that far Austin. I've been swimming/boating in the river for as long as I can remember. Even before we had the lock system. We pull boats up to the exact spot where this occurred and have never had any problems. But then again, we never take people that can't swim. Simple judgement is all that is required. If you can't swim and must get in the water, go to the sprinkler park 2 miles down the road in downtown. Don't swim near the bridges or jettys as there is a swift current around those areas. etc......

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

If it's the beach that you like, Cypress Lake has a large beach area, a large section of water dedicated just to swimmers, and rangers patrolling if something were to happen. It's only $4 to get a carload of people in.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

God should at least get some of the blame for this.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post

Even if you believe in God, you can't blame him. He gave those people a brain so they could choose to go drowning or not.(they certainly didn't go swimming) If you don't believe in God, then it was karma or fate or something.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Even if you believe in God, you can't blame him. He gave those people a brain so they could choose to go drowning or not.(they certainly didn't go swimming) If you don't believe in God, then it was karma or fate or something.
    If God didn't want these kids to die, he could have prevented it, right?
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Been down this road. It's not worth the effort because you don't accept what I say, and I return the favor. Let's stick to football and anything but religion. We typically agree on those topics.

+ Reply to Thread