+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SGA Prez Email

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

SGA Prez Email

Hello fellow students of Louisiana Tech!

Are you tired of there not being much to do in Ruston?

-Many students have said "YES!"

Do you wish student interests and wants were better represented in Ruston?

-Student response = "YES!"

THE TIME IS NOW!

The time is now for students to come together and make our wants known and

get connected to the local level. Ruston is not exactly college friendly;
    therefore, let's make it so or at least try.

What can we do as STUDENTS?

REGISTER TO VOTE IN RUSTON!

The City of Ruston’s Mayoral Election is Oct. 2. To vote in this election,

you MUST be registered to vote in Ruston by Sept.1 .

I know some of you are registered to vote in your hometowns and

parishes...BUT are you ready to make a difference where most of us on
    average live 5 years!?

Students live in RUSTON! We need to make RUSTON a place where students can

have fun and participate in local economic development!

How can this be achieved? WE exercise our freedom to vote!

First, we register to vote and make an impact in the upcoming mayoral

election on Oct. 2!

In late September your SGA will co-host a Ruston Mayoral Candidate Forum

where students can engage all three candidates. At this event, students will
    be able to voice their concerns and hopefully get a better idea of which
    candidate they want to support.

****************HOW TO REGISTER TO VOTE:

There are multiple ways to get registered (DEADLINE SEPT.1).

1) Pick up a voter registration form located in the back of Tolliver Hall.

Fill it out and send it to the

LINCOLN PARISH REGISTRAR OF VOTERS

100 W. Texas Ave.- #10
    Ruston, LA 71270-4463

* You can put the form in the mail as is or since it does have your social

security number on it you may want to place it in an envelope. BE SURE
    EITHER ONE IS POSTMARKED BY SEPT. 1.

If you have any questions call LINCOLN PARISH REGISTRAR OF VOTERS at

(318) 251-5110.

*On the voter registration form be sure to put your RUSTON address on line 3

(Residence Address).

If you live ON CAMPUS put your DORMITORY or APARTMENT’s name on it and

write down your CAMPUS P.O. BOX ADDRESS.

2) OR You can go in person to the LINCOLN PARISH REGISTRAR OF VOTERS office

located on the ground floor of the court house in Ruston. There you can also
    pick up a voter registration form that you can fill out and mail in.

If you want to fill out the voter registration form (not the mail-in

version), you will need to provide a picture ID (driver’s liscense) & proof
    of residency (either your lease agreement, water/electricity/cable bill
    -something with your name & a Ruston address on it).

3) OR You can go online www.GeauxVote.com <
    http://www.geauxvote.com/>
    <http://www.GeauxVote.com> <http://www.geauxvote.com/> .

There you will find tons of information on state/local elections and how to

access the online voter registration form.

*******THE TIME IS NOW!

I've met with all three candidates for mayor in Ruston, and I want you to

have that same exposure and opportunity!

They are as follows:
    Dan Hollingsworth
    Robert Sauber
    Allen Herbert

I encourage you to do your research, and come prepared to ask questions at

the Ruston Mayoral Candidate Forum to be held in late September.

This is an SGA project----ultimate student representation.

WHY?

Make sure your interests are heard.

Voting is your right.
    This is the first step toward making Ruston a better place for Louisiana
    Tech University Students!

Join THE TIME IS NOW Facebook group!

Thank you,

Emily LaFleur

SGA President

-----

Thoughts on this? The idea is better than the execution, IMO. Students voting: fantastic. Playing into suitcase college / THERE IS NOTHING TO DO OMG antiquated stereotypes that DON'T hold up in 2010: not so fantastic.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Re: SGA Prez Email

Nothing to do in Ruston??? That's crap. I've always found something to do. Bad tactic.

I would have said, "Do you want cool sh*t coming to Ruston, register to vote"

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Yeah. Present a specific item to the students, not some bad untrue generality.

Find someone to sponsor a public vote on abolishing some blue laws. Tell students that they have a voice on possibly boozing on Sunday and/or after midnight.

They'd show up in droves. Just saying '...think Ruston sucks? vote!' isn't going to work at ALL.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Horrible email and approach. There is plenty to do in Ruston.

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    Horrible email and approach. There is plenty to do in Ruston.
    I never, ever had a problem finding something to do in Ruston as an undergrad. Neither did any of my friends. Ask your brother. This is one of those decade-old stereotypes like 'Ruston is dry' and 'everyone leaves on the weekends' that just aren't applicable in 2010. It simply isn't true anymore. I'm disappointed that the SGA President is playing into them, if that's what is going on here.
    Last edited by CChandler; 08-11-2010 at 01:21 PM.

Champ bad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to all bad_man's Avatar

I'm pretty sure that I had my fill of fun during my years in Ruston. I'm pretty sure that I even had some other people's fun for them. College is what you make it. By local economic development, I assume she means "more bars in town"

Nothing like telling the people of Ruston who love this university:

"This town sucks. I'm a whiny little brat. My parents give me everything I want. Waaaahhh! Waaaaahhhh!"

Varsity Bulldog dmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the rough

This email might work on freshman, but anyone over the age of 18 is going to call shennanigans. More bars in town would be awesome though. I'm pretty sure she just sort of inherited that job from the last girl who also didn't do much. The good thing is, the only students who will pay attention to this are in SGA and none of those kids party anyway.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CChandler View Post
    I never, ever had a problem finding something to do in Ruston as an undergrad. Neither did any of my friends. Ask your brother. This is one of those decade-old stereotypes like 'Ruston is dry' and 'everyone leaves on the weekends' that just aren't applicable in 2010. It simply isn't true anymore. I'm disappointed that the SGA President is playing into them. Sad, too.
    Come on, Clayton, you know that it is VERY HARD for the intellectually disadvantaged to find anything to do. These are the same kids who whined to mommy about being "bored" every summer.

Anyway, agree with your take on the e-mail. Students voting is a good idea in principle, but a) the premise is like something out of a 10th grade SGA senator's platform and b) it's unbelievably naive to think that voting is going to result in cool stuff to do.

And I ABHOR her assertion that Ruston is not "college-friendly." There is a lot of very good support for Tech in the community. It makes her look dumb, ignoring the real and meaningful support for Tech from many in Ruston just because there isn't a rave or some other college-centric entertainment on every corner.

Champ BulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the rough

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that the wording of the letter was comical. I'm guessing that she will not be voting for Hollingsworth. I almost expected her to say something about "change" or "yes we can". I don't have a dog in the fight because I live outside of the city limits...but the Mayor of Ruston affects us all. I, for one, always found plenty of things to do in Ruston. I can also say that Ruston has made great strides over the past 5-10 years. What do you think she would have thought about things back when Wal-Mart was in the Irrigation Mart building. Progress is being made around Ruston. The Ruston area remains a great place to live and raise a family.

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

All I care about is getting rid of the blue laws and having bars closer to campus, otherwise Ruston aint bad. It is what you make it.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Rabb's bar is open on Sunday now. I could not believe it when I heard that.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Last time their was a push to get student's voting it had a goal, allow hard liquor in resturants, and I'm proud to say I was part of the classes that voted that in. Getting the students involved is a great idea, but the Dan Hollingsworth has proven to be very pro-Tech and has made alot of great changes in Ruston since first elected in '99. I hope that student's don't see this and think Ruston needs a new mayor.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    Last time their was a push to get student's voting it had a goal, allow hard liquor in resturants, and I'm proud to say I was part of the classes that voted that in. Getting the students involved is a great idea, but the Dan Hollingsworth has proven to be very pro-Tech and has made alot of great changes in Ruston since first elected in '99. I hope that student's don't see this and think Ruston needs a new mayor.

The hard liquor law went through easily. I too voted for it.

If getting rid of the blue law was on the ballot, the students will come through and have it passed. We need to start a petition to get it on the ballot.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post

If getting rid of the blue law was on the ballot, the students will come through and have it passed. We need to start a petition to get it on the ballot.

It passed, but it certainly wasn't easy. If this latest attempt had failed the prospects of bringing it back up for a vote were over. Basically, the future of Ruston was hanging in the balance. It took a year-long effort led by Mickey McHale along with local business owners, students and concerned citizens who were tired of watching Lincoln/Ruston entertainment dollars help finance W.Monroes' I-20 development.

Champ Bill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post

I was expecting the email to be pushing a pro-alcohol/bars agenda. Doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread