+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Union Parish Schools closings

Champ philgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her game

Union Parish Schools closings

I know that this is probably old news to alot of you but I just found out that my old high school closed and has been consilidated into Farmerville High School.
    I have to say that I feel a sense of complete loss over this.

I grew up in Spearsville and I was a Pelican through and through. We are a little small school that played in Class C this past year and wound up making it to the Final 4.

We have lost three schools in Union Parish over the past couple years.
    Bernice- Home of Willis Reed, Benny Anders and many many really good athletes closed down in 2009
    Spearsville and Marion closed down before school started this year.

I know that alot of you have seen this happen and it isn't that big of a deal but for this 41 year old man that lived and breathed High School sports this is a huge deal.

I just want to say thanks to all of the teams that we used to play, I will always have those memories. I used to love getting ready every year for Basketball season so that we could play in all of the Tournaments
    Downsville, Marion, Bernice, Dubach, Linville,Choudrant, Pineview and who could forget Dual State Tournament up in Junction City.

We have had some great basketball come out of the small schools and I am going to really miss following my Pelicans but again times are really tough and I hope that UPSB makes all the correct decisions that will get out kids the education that the deserve.

Big Dog MoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the rough

Re: Union Parish Schools closings

My sympathies. Being a graduate of Dubach High I have fond memories of our battles with Spearsville and Marion and the other smaller schools. Dubach is holding on currently but I think the day is coming when it will be rolled into Ruston High (and I’m not certain that would be a bad thing). Coach Henderson and family were good friends of ours when they were in Dubach so I always looked forward to seeing them at the games.

In our day small schools were great but now it seems like all they want is a centralized location.

Champ philgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by MoonPieBlue View Post
    My sympathies. Being a graduate of Dubach High I have fond memories of our battles with Spearsville and Marion and the other smaller schools. Dubach is holding on currently but I think the day is coming when it will be rolled into Ruston High (and I’m not certain that would be a bad thing). Coach Henderson and family were good friends of ours when they were in Dubach so I always looked forward to seeing them at the games.

In our day small schools were great but now it seems like all they want is a centralized location.
    We had some classic battles with Dubach. When it was Downsville, Choudrant, Dubach, Chatham, Weston, Quitman and Spearsville in District 2B there were some classic battles every night.

Dubach has always had incredible fans and we loved the battles.

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar

So how many high schools does this leave in Union Parish. Farmerville and Downsville, and that's it?

yeah just Farmerville and Downsville

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by philgarris View Post
    yeah just Farmerville and Downsville
    Didn't the judge just make a ruling of some sort on Downsville recently?

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Didn't the judge just make a ruling of some sort on Downsville recently?
    Judge rejects Union school consolidation plan

http://www.klfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=12771844 (July 8, 2010)

http://www.wbrz.com/news/union-schoo...consolidation/ (July 13, 2010)

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlum05 View Post
    Judge rejects Union school consolidation plan

http://www.klfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=12771844 (July 8, 2010)

http://www.wbrz.com/news/union-schoo...consolidation/ (July 13, 2010)
    Thanks.

Varsity Bulldog CorneyDawg is a jewel in the roughCorneyDawg is a jewel in the roughCorneyDawg is a jewel in the roughCorneyDawg is a jewel in the roughCorneyDawg is a jewel in the roughCorneyDawg is a jewel in the roughCorneyDawg is a jewel in the roughCorneyDawg is a jewel in the roughCorneyDawg is a jewel in the roughCorneyDawg is a jewel in the roughCorneyDawg is a jewel in the rough CorneyDawg's Avatar

There will be only 1 high school (public ) in union parish next year, If you don't count the charter school.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by CorneyDawg View Post
    There will be only 1 high school (public ) in union parish next year, If you don't count the charter school.
    That might match the average number of teeth in their mouths over their. Well at least in some E.Texas counties that would be true.

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    That might match the average number of teeth in their mouths over their. Well at least in some E.Texas counties that would be true.

Ahhhh, really?

Big Dog Darbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the rough

HEY HEY I 've got two teeth.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

OK that was just a bad joke.

Big Dog Darbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the rough

Not for some parts of the parish.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Darbonnedawg View Post
    Not for some parts of the parish.
    Those who live on the "east bank" of the LOOTER (Bayou DeLoutre).

+ Reply to Thread