+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What about a parking garage

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: What about a parking garage

Ride a Bike!

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrDawg View Post
    The thing that just makes me shake my head is when a student says they were late for class because they couldn't find a spot and come to find out they live on campus.

It's just as frustrating when you live on campus and walk past tons of empty spots in your dorm parking lot and then get to class and have to listen to commuters whine about how there is no parking or they had to walk all the way from the dorms? Really? At least you had the option (even though our passes cost the same).

By the way, at UTA my staff parking pass costs $150, tickets are $50. And spots on the main campus are very hard to come by for anyone.

Champ roughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to behold roughedge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    There was not one empty parking spot in the Hut/Cottingham parking lot? In the Neilson parking lot? At the softball field? Not one?
    All those lots had vacant spots as of 8am this morning plus the gravel lots.

Champ dawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Ride a Bike!
    Worked for me...

...I've even seen folks put a bike in their car/truck when they park on the other side of campus...

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Students pay $40 per year for parking. Dirt cheap.

At Southern Miss they pay $135/yr. Also they are building a $16 million parking deck for 1200 cars. I expect their parking fee to go up after this. I highly doubt our Tech students are willing to pay over $100 for parking.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Here you go, this company has 4 of this model for sale:

Each at $39,500;

Capital outlay ~$165,000

Annual costs for 9 months of operation (don't need during summer)

4 Drivers - $90,000 totalFuel - $20,000 totalMaintenance - $80,000 total
    • Estimated 3 buses will be getting regular maintenance each year ($10,000) and the 4th will be getting major overhaul ($50,000)
    Annual cost of operation ~ $200,000

Use annual advertising on the buses to bring it down some and the rest add a small fee to off-campus:
    • 85% of undergrads live off-campus http://www.latech.edu/ir/assets/cds2009_2010.pdf)
    • 12,000 Enrollment in '09(I know enrollment considers Grad school and my percentage is based on undergrad only, this is quick and dirty)
    • ~10,000 students
    • 3 quarters
    • 30,000 fee collections per year
    Worse case scenario we get no annual advertising that would work out to about $7 a student per quarter or $21 per year!

Now that's not considering any revenue made from visiting fans, setup lots where they have to park to get bus service and charge $5 (if they don't pay to tailgate).

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Is parking so bad that we need overflow parking at Joe Aillet? I'm assuming that at peak time of the day we only utilize 80-85% of our main campus lots (excluding JAS parking). For the rest of the day, I say it's 65-70% or less.

Bulldog Dawg87_wp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawg87_wp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawg87_wp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawg87_wp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawg87_wp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawg87_wp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawg87_wp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawg87_wp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawg87_wp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawg87_wp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawg87_wp Ultimate jerk and not worth your time Dawg87_wp's Avatar

Wouldn't it be a benefit to have a parking garage for the football games?

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

Tech does not have parking problems. We have lazy students who are spoiled.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Ya got parkin' problems? I feel bad for you, son.
    I got 99 problems, but parkin' aint one.

Attached Images Attached Images

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by splicer View Post
    Tech does not have parking problems. We have lazy students who are spoiled.
    +1
    I'm only 1 year removed from Tech, but I never minded parking further away and walking. My whole last year I parked on the side of the street across from Steeples Glen apts. and walked. No parking pass required.
    Last edited by ITdrummer; 09-10-2010 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg87_wp View Post
    Wouldn't it be a benefit to have a parking garage for the football games?
    Do we have a parking problem at our football games? Do we fill up all the lots on campus during game day?

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    Here you go, this company has 4 of this model for sale:

Each at $39,500;

Capital outlay ~$165,000

Annual costs for 9 months of operation (don't need during summer)

4 Drivers - $90,000 totalFuel - $20,000 totalMaintenance - $80,000 total
    • Estimated 3 buses will be getting regular maintenance each year ($10,000) and the 4th will be getting major overhaul ($50,000)
    Annual cost of operation ~ $200,000

Use annual advertising on the buses to bring it down some and the rest add a small fee to off-campus:
    • 85% of undergrads live off-campus http://www.latech.edu/ir/assets/cds2009_2010.pdf)
    • 12,000 Enrollment in '09(I know enrollment considers Grad school and my percentage is based on undergrad only, this is quick and dirty)
    • ~10,000 students
    • 3 quarters
    • 30,000 fee collections per year
    Worse case scenario we get no annual advertising that would work out to about $7 a student per quarter or $21 per year!

Now that's not considering any revenue made from visiting fans, setup lots where they have to park to get bus service and charge $5 (if they don't pay to tailgate).
    This doesn't have to be only used on campus or to JAS. Run a route to the neighborhoods lived in by students.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    This doesn't have to be only used on campus or to JAS. Run a route to the neighborhoods lived in by students.

Wow now that's bringing the laziness to a whole new level...

I agree parking is not bad at Tech; I was just showing what we could do if/when parking gets bad.

Parking garages are horrible horrible ideas; they are eyesores, often dangerous, require large capital expense and can only serve one purpose.

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    Wow now that's bringing the laziness to a whole new level...

I agree parking is not bad at Tech; I was just showing what we could do if/when parking gets bad.

Parking garages are horrible horrible ideas; they are eyesores, often dangerous, require large capital expense and can only serve one purpose.
    I don't necessarily think it takes laziness to a whole new level. Eliminate parking spots on campus to provide more green space and raise the price of parking. Then start the bus routes. I visited a friend at LSU once and took the bus from his apartment to campus. It was pretty nice.

+ Reply to Thread