+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Officer shot in Ruston this morning

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar

Re: Officer shot in Ruston this morning

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    But neither of us have any idea where that person is in their life, what they are going through, what was in their system, etc. I've seen and worked with plenty of people that screwed up bad (some worse than this) when they were young, broke, and stupid; that are now highly productive members of society with families that are headed in the right direction.

I beg to differ. None of those excuses can be used to justify shooting someone, especially a peace officer. I don't care how broke, destitute, desperate, broken-hearted, downtrodden, or hungry a person is. It is not an excuse to resort to violence and hurting others which isn't even remotely close to what this guy was trying to do. He was pumping bullets into this man's body in order to kill him. That is not acceptable and should not go unpunished.

Those people you know that are productive members of society had to be punished. You have to pay the consequences for your actions. I know this first hand, and I'm grateful for it.
    Last edited by StrongBad; 09-13-2010 at 03:39 PM.

Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute

I love listening to those defending criminals.

We need ALOT fewer criminals in jail......one way to do it.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux Dawgs View Post
    I love listening to those defending criminals.

We need ALOT fewer criminals in jail......one way to do it.
    I'm not defending them, crime is bad and those who commit it should be punished justly and yes I think the death penalty may be appropriate for in some cases. But I think the method by which we penalize and rehabilitate our criminals is horrible; their is a great opportunity to improve our society from the "bottom". And finally I leave you with some scripture...

Luke 6:35-38;42
    But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Started pumping bullets? So you saw him standing over the cop shooting round after round into him?

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Hopefully we will all say a prayer for Cpl. Marchale Canty's speedy recovery.

Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not defending them, crime is bad and those who commit it should be punished justly and yes I think the death penalty may be appropriate for in some cases. But I think the method by which we penalize and rehabilitate our criminals is horrible; their is a great opportunity to improve our society from the "bottom". And finally I leave you with some scripture...

But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

That is basically the democratic view of terrorists.

Most of the criminals are NOT rehabilitated when they re-enter society.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux Dawgs View Post
    That is basically the democratic view of terrorists.

Most of the criminals are NOT rehabilitated when they re-enter society.
    It depends a lot on when they committed their first crime. As I have stated before, I believe that it should be extremely difficult to convict a person of a crime. We should do all we can to enforce innocent until proven guilty. We should allow the police and the prosecutors no short cuts. Once the accused is convicted, though, the punishment should fit the crime and it should be carried out. However, once the person has paid his debt to society, we should allow the person back into society.

I will say that I have my doubts about the rehabilitation of a person who shoots a police officer.

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    However, once the person has paid his debt to society, we should allow the person back into society.
    This is usually not the case. Once a person has been marked with a felony charge, their life is tarnished and getting a decent job is sometimes impossible.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrongBad View Post
    This is usually not the case. Once a person has been marked with a felony charge, their life is tarnished and getting a decent job is sometimes impossible.
    I agree, but we are dead wrong to allow that to happen. As I have said before, there are some jobs that would be off limits for certain felons, such as serious sex offenders. But, we have to allow felons the opportunity to make an honest living.

I agree, but we are dead wrong to allow that to happen. As I have said before, there are some jobs that would be off limits for certain felons, such as serious sex offenders. But, we have to allow felons the opportunity to make an honest living.
    There are a lot more felony offenses than just violent crimes and sex offenses. Convictions such as theft, drug possession, aggrevated flight, and many more that can be rehabilitated, but lives have been ruined by a felony conviction.

Bulldog NateDawg seems to have something between the earsNateDawg seems to have something between the earsNateDawg seems to have something between the earsNateDawg seems to have something between the earsNateDawg seems to have something between the earsNateDawg seems to have something between the ears

I believe this is referenced towards the individual, who is instructed to 'forgive and forget' and to 'not hold a grudge' because it will only affect the person not giving forgiveness.

Upholding discipline in a nation is what God charged the governing body as a whole to do, starting back in the nation of israel. See Exedus 21:24 for example. "~An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a foot for a foot."

Basically, if you harm someone, your 'punishment' should bear the same consequences.

I'm not familiar with the shooting case, but I think these two passages are directed to different audiences, i.e. the individual and a group.

Ex. The wife of a murdered husband should forgive the man sentenced to death for the killing.

That's a very extreme example, but it somewhat gets the point across.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by StrongBad View Post
    Yea, well it's a lot better than incarciration and then getting out to repeat the cycle. 50% of those incarcirated end up back in prison.
    Two reasons for that:
    Our justice system (once convicted) is too slow and
    Punishment does not act as a deterrent. We have no "true" rehab system in this country and it shows. We have very little preventative measures in this country and our prisons are full because of it. The ironic thing is prevention is much cheaper than over crowded prisons.

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Two reasons for that:
    Our justice system (once convicted) is too slow and
    Punishment does not act as a deterrent. We have no "true" rehab system in this country and it shows. We have very little preventative measures in this country and our prisons are full because of it. The ironic thing is prevention is much cheaper than over crowded prisons.
    And, we, the nonfelons, do not accept them back into society. The criminals do accept them back.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

And, we, the nonfelons, do not accept them back into society. The criminals do accept them back.
    Very true........ We are real good at training light offenders to be serious offenders, though.

Varsity Bulldog chev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by ddgravy View Post
    HD is having it built for players and coaches not performing up to his expectations.
    And Gay Goobers

+ Reply to Thread