+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I've got some serious ADD

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: I've got some serious ADD

I didn't read that from Brian earlier, and I would agree completely. These are all very good things to implement into your day/week that can lead to being productive, not feeling overwhelmed, and preventing discouragement as often as possible. I know I have said a lot, but I want to add one more suggestion..........

Don't do what the modern school setting does. Don't focus on what you are good at while ignoring or pushing away the things you struggle with. You know what you do well and don't need help with that. Make sure to emphasize that which you find difficult and work at it. It will be tiresome and discouraging at times. However, when you master it, think how much more rewarding it will be.

Try a few exercises for me and see if they help.

1. Eat, brush your hair or teeth, and drive with the opposite hand that you are used to using.
    2. Drive an alternate route to work as often as possible from memory.
    3. Write down a list of things you need from the store. Find a cool, stupid, or silly way to remember the list. Then shop from memory.

All of these things are small tasks, but require you to do it in a way you are not accustomed. If you can do this, you can do anything. I convinced one guy to try things my way by asking him to write a passage for me. I told him to write it with his opposite hand legibly and I would give him $100. He looked at me like I was crazy and said, "that is too hard!" I just looked at him and said, "yes, but I can teach you how to do it." That same thing can happen for anyone with ADD, ADHD, or anything else from dyslexia to dysgraphia or autism.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deadawg View Post
    Vyvanse is a schedule II control substance, meaning it is has the most abuse potential of any prescription medication. It can be taken safely and it sounds like you are doing just that, but don't think that it is not addictive or capable of being abused.
    I was told that because it is time released, it cannot be abused. I suppose you could take the whole bottle at one time and stay high for ten hours.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Btw sooner, practice focusing on the center-left of your aviator for long periods of time. That helps too.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post
    Soonerdawg, not that brian96 needs my endorsement, but this is an outstanding summary/compilation of everything that the knowledgeable healthcare professionals posting in this thread have suggested and, used in a combination suitable for you, is the best advice for your challenge that message board rep can buy.
    I think I can pat myself on the back. Your post is almost exactly how I approach things now. It took 51 years to put it all together, but I am more productive now than I have ever been. Again, I must say that I didn't do "1" until the end, and the truth is, I couldn't discipline myself to do the remainder until I was medicated. Once I was medicated, all the others fell in line.

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Don't do what the modern school setting does. Don't focus on what you are good at while ignoring or pushing away the things you struggle with. You know what you do well and don't need help with that. Make sure to emphasize that which you find difficult and work at it. It will be tiresome and discouraging at times. However, when you master it, think how much more rewarding it will be.
    I didn't know modern schools were teaching this, but I have to admit I practice that to a certain extent. It made sense to me to figure out what I didn't like to do and then stop doing it. As a corollary, it made sense to me that if I was good at something, it was easier to get great at that thing than it was for me to even get proficient at something I was not good at.

For instance, I am a horrible bookkeeper. I don't like it. I'm not good at it. I tried beating myself into submission, but no matter what, I never got good at it, and I still hated it. So, I just stopped doing it. I found somebody who did like it and he took care of it, and I went and did what I liked doing and was good at. I thought it would be stupid for me to keep books. Now, I spend my time more productively practicing law. And even within the realm of the law practice, I have quit doing what I don't like to do. I'm a much, much happier and a much, much more productive man as a result.

With that said, I really do have an open mind. How is my philosophy a bad thing? I promise, I'm asking, not debating.

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    I was told that because it is time released, it cannot be abused. I suppose you could take the whole bottle at one time and stay high for ten hours.
    oxycontin is timed released and it is one of the most abused drugs on the market

oxycontin is timed released and it is one of the most abused drugs on the market
    Can't argue that and I will take the risk seriously. Right now, I have had absolutely no symptoms of a desire to take the drug. In fact, I forget about it about a quarter of the time. Behavior makes me remember, not an impulse.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Putting aside a few contentious posts, I'd like to say I really appreciate you guys sharing all this personal information. There are a lot of us who are dealing with -- or have family members dealing with -- these issues. We need all the information we can get.

Thanks.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    Putting aside a few contentious posts, I'd like to say I really appreciate you guys sharing all this personal information. There are a lot of us who are dealing with -- or have family members dealing with -- these issues. We need all the information we can get.

Thanks.
    If you were referring to my posts as contentious, that was not my intent. I simply want to make sure people are aware of the benefits/dangers associated with the various medications. Sooner seems like he needs the medication and is taking it responsibly, but he does need all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Then it starts over about 6:00 am every morning - and until it kicks in its like herding cats getting him ready for school
    And, if you are like me, you love every minute of it. Formatting children has been a delight. Exhausting and exasperating at times, but a delight by any standard.

If you were referring to my posts as contentious, that was not my intent. I simply want to make sure people are aware of the benefits/dangers associated with the various medications. Sooner seems like he needs the medication and is taking it responsibly, but he does need all the info.
    There was nothing contentious in your posts, nor was it taken that way. I don't think he was referring to you, and if you read the entire thread, I think you will see that.

The fact is, I was happy even for the contentious posts. You are right that we need all the information, and if a spat or two breaks out during the process, so be it. Our society is too thin skinned at times. If anybody was hurt over that little dispute, they need to toughen up.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

No, I wasn't referring to you. And I probably should have just said... "Thanks for sharing, guys."
    Good old Memorial Gym

+ Reply to Thread