+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I've got some serious ADD

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Re: I've got some serious ADD

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post
    There is a reason only one doctor does it. If it were real has positive results for 15 years, everybody would do it. Also, for such cutting edge medicine I find it odd that the only doc that does it in Louisiana is from Ruston. I'd be wary of anything that is "non traditional, works, and is expensive."
    You misread what I wrote...specifically the part about he is the only one doing it the way it should be done. Thousands of doctors are doing bits and pieces of it, including others here in Ruston. And he is in Ruston because he has other ties to the area. Your total post is bogus, except for the part where you gave your uninformed opinion.

In case you missed it, here is a summary of my points that address your post:

There are even physicians using these thype treatments to treat cancer and autism, with amazing results.
    Louisiana is way, way, way behind.
    The state board of medical examiners doesn't like it because it is not traditional medicine.
    But science supports it.
    And the results are real.
    They have been doing it for 15 years in some places.
    There is only one in Louisiana that does it the way it should be done.
    He blends traditional and holistic medicince.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post
    You misread what I wrote...specifically the part about he is the only one doing it the way it should be done. Thousands of doctors are doing bits and pieces of it, including others here in Ruston. And he is in Ruston because he has other ties to the area. Your total post is bogus, except for the part where you gave your uninformed opinion.

In case you missed it, here is a summary of my points that address your post:

There are even physicians using these thype treatments to treat cancer and autism, with amazing results.
    Louisiana is way, way, way behind.
    The state board of medical examiners doesn't like it because it is not traditional medicine.
    But science supports it.
    And the results are real.
    They have been doing it for 15 years in some places.
    There is only one in Louisiana that does it the way it should be done.
    He blends traditional and holistic medicince.
    Ok, he is the "only one doing it the way it should be done." I'm sorry that I misread a complete BS, and incredibly unsupported point.

How "should it be done?"
    Show me where "Louisiana is way way way behind."
    Where is "the science" that supports it?
    Where are the "real results?"

The state board of medical examiners doesn't like it for more reasons than "it isn't traditional medicine."

Again, if anybody is looking for ADD help, go to a psychologist or a psychiatrist. Not a spa/obgyn/add/fill in the blank doctor.

Champ Tdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the rough Tdawg87's Avatar

I'm in the business so to speak. Not a doctor, but I've worked with kids with ADHD for years. (M.A in Counseling Psychology from Tech, '89)

There has been some good advice in this thread and some not so good. Go see a psychologist to get tested...it may be something else and a good psychologist will evaluate you and figure it out. Then he/she will refer you to a psychiatrist to get the medications that you may need. I wouldn't go see a regular M.D however. At least not at first. Get tested, then go from there.

FYI- I have a step-son (12 years old) that has ADD, he takes Vyvanse and it works well, so I not only work with it, I live with it.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

There is a reason only one doctor does it. If it were real has positive results for 15 years, everybody would do it. Also, for such cutting edge medicine I find it odd that the only doc that does it in Louisiana is from Ruston. I'd be wary of anything that is "non traditional, works, and is expensive."
    Ok, he is the "only one doing it the way it should be done." I'm sorry that I misread a complete BS, and incredibly unsupported point.

How "should it be done?"

The state board of medical examiners doesn't like it for more reasons than "it isn't traditional medicine."

Again, if anybody is looking for ADD help, go to a psychologist or a psychiatrist. Not a spa/obgyn/add/fill in the blank doctor.
    Wow, a ton of misguided assumptions there. Are you a physician?

Mainstream medicine is a huge machine with a ton of inertia. They have done an excellent job of marketing a very specific message regarding what "real medicine" is and making sure that all healthcare roads point to them. In reality, modern medicine represents just a rather slender slice of the pie of what is known to be effective. Despite this, they continue to allow themselves to be seen as one-stop shops for all things related to health.

Physicians play a vitally important role in our society's healthcare, but it is naive, and perhaps even dangerous, to presume that mainstream medicine has it all figured out. The biggest fault is that they are trained to skim the surface of the science, follow the algorithm, and not ask the deeper questions. This makes their training more efficient, but it tends to keep them narrowly focused and poorly equipped to deal critically with the ever-evolving scientific literature.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

How "should it be done?"

Then here. Maybe you missed this too. "But I have the luxury of knowing what you can't know, so you would just have to take my word and make up your own mind"

I feel no burden to defend what he does and am not promoting it. I simply provided an alternative. You can have you opinion, as uninformed as it may be, and I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is your assumption that the information I provided was unsupported and total bs. If you knew anything about me or followed my comments on other healthcare threads, you'd know that, when it comes to healthcare, I don't say or write anywhere to anyone information that is unsupported or bs. If you'd like me to wear my cv on my sleeve, I can, but I'd prefer not.

As for your questions, they are all I need to know about how uneducated you are about healthcare...particularly in the rural south. And I can answer every one of them in greater detail than you can probably understand, but wow that
    would be a long post. Of course, I am making assumptions about your knowledge of medicine...but I'm considering your posts in this thread.

And furthermore, never did I suggest it over a psychiatrist. Just as an alternative, and one than typically results in the patient taking less or no medication.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    You have definitely piqued my interest. I really would like to learn a lot more about what you are talking about. I would prefer not to be medicated and would give it up in a heartbeat if there was a better way. Right now, though, I can just say that the medication is one heck of a lot better than Full Throttle.

As for behavioral aspects, I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to. I do know that I never allow having ADD be an excuse for anything. Also, my parents were very good at what they did, and they made sure that I stayed on task. Bad behavior is bad is bad behavior, no matter what the stimulus.

Finally, it is true that my doctor's first reaction was to prescribe a stimulant. I specifically requested that we try any other method first. Without so much as a comment, he wrote the script, I wanted relief and have been satisfied with the result. That doesn't mean I wouldn't be willing to go another route if I thought it would work.

P.S. I love my doctor, which is why I did what he suggested. He listens well and has always diagnosed correctly in the past. I hired him, he knows his stuff, so I did what he said to do.
    Hard to give it much service in a message board post, but here are a handful of tips:

1. If your medicine is getting the desired result without undesirable side effects, then that is great. It would put you in a pretty small minority of people. If it ain't broke, I wouldn't tinker with it too much. Some of the non-stimulant meds are interesting but have other side effects, especially if you are prone to mood and/or anxiety struggles.

2. Just as there is no magic pill, there is no magic behavioral strategy. The overarching goal is to do a variety of things that each lighten your load and help you maximize the bright spots of ADHD and minimize the negatives.

3. A big thing is to learn to be accepting of both the positives and the negatives of ADHD. It is the nature of the beast that you will get distracted, off-track, forget things, etc. There is no need to beat yourself up over it. Acknowledge it and move on. You might even find it possible to laugh at yourself from time to time when you catch yourself "being ADHD."

4. Another big thing is to use organizational tools. Take the time to get your workspace organized. Obviously it won't stay that way, so there is another opportunity to practice acceptance! Just tidy it back up when you notice it. Use calendars. Most importantly: WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN! Stickies work great for me. Even folks without ADHD have trouble remembering things, especially when they are busy. There is no shame in keeping a notepad with you all the time so that you are sure to remember conversations and other things that come up through the day.

5. Take breaks. With ADHD we tend to find ourselves off-track and then wander from project to project, often finishing none of them. To head this off at the pass, work in pre-planned blocks of time. Use a cell-phone of computer calendar alarm to alert you to when it is time to take a break or switch tasks. This will keep you from getting carried away with a task in your hyper-focus modes. Similarly, when you have caught yourself getting fed up with a task, take a time-limited break and COME BACK TO IT. A big mistake many folks with ADHD make is giving up on a task and leaving it. Instead, when you get fed up, interpret it as a cue to take a break, then come right back.

6. To emphasize this point a bit, there is a tendency for folks to get exasperated with tasks, easily losing interest. Understand that this is a feature of ADHD, not a feature of the task. Again, take a break and come back to it.

7. Be healthy. The things that are good for your health (rest, exercise, good diet) are good for your brain, and things that are good with your brain can help minimize ADHD symptoms and maximize compensating resources.

These are some things that have helped me, and I've seen them help others as well.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    Wow, a ton of misguided assumptions there. Are you a physician?

Mainstream medicine is a huge machine with a ton of inertia. They have done an excellent job of marketing a very specific message regarding what "real medicine" is and making sure that all healthcare roads point to them. In reality, modern medicine represents just a rather slender slice of the pie of what is known to be effective. Despite this, they continue to allow themselves to be seen as one-stop shops for all things related to health.

Physicians play a vitally important role in our society's healthcare, but it is naive, and perhaps even dangerous, to presume that mainstream medicine has it all figured out. The biggest fault is that they are trained to skim the surface of the science, follow the algorithm, and not ask the deeper questions. This makes their training more efficient, but it tends to keep them narrowly focused and poorly equipped to deal critically with the ever-evolving scientific literature.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post
    Then here. Maybe you missed this too. "But I have the luxury of knowing what you can't know, so you would just have to take my word and make up your own mind"

I feel no burden to defend what he does and am not promoting it. I simply provided an alternative. You can have you opinion, as uninformed as it may be, and I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is your assumption that the information I provided was unsupported and total bs. If you knew anything about me or followed my comments on other healthcare threads, you'd know that, when it comes to healthcare, I don't say or write anywhere to anyone information that is unsupported or bs. If you'd like me to wear my cv on my sleeve, I can, but I'd prefer not.

As for your questions, they are all I need to know about how uneducated you are about healthcare...particularly in the rural south. And I can answer every one of them in greater detail than you can probably understand, but wow that
    would be a long post. Of course, I am making assumptions about your knowledge of medicine...but I'm considering your posts in this thread.
    What did I say that was uninformed? I simply asked you to back it up, and you could not. Nobody has. All both of you can say is, "your uninformed, the south is behind."

Please provide me with something more than a spa link.

I'm waiting.

What did I say that was uninformed? I simply asked you to back it up, and you could not. Nobody has. All both of you can say is, "your uninformed, the south is behind."

Please provide me with something more than a spa link.

I'm waiting.
    Bro, asking me to back it up makes you uninformed. And you not knowing why your questions make you uninformed makes you uninformed. It would take me a week or more and writing a book to back it up. Look it up, or stay content with your opinion. It's all good. Im not trying to sell it to you. Just don't tell me my post is bs when you have know idea just how informed I really am, and when you obviously know nothing about it. A bunch of people said similar things when they knew the earth was flat and the center of the universe, so you aren't the first.

I am at a complete loss of words, I'm supposed to tell you why your point is valid?

No, generally this is how it works. You say, "This works, science backs it up.." I say, "Where is the science?" You say, "Here is the science."

Not, "This works, science backs it up." "Where is the science?" "You are uninformed"

By the way, if "traditional medicine" doesn't work, then by all means try the alternative.

I am at a complete loss of words, I'm supposed to tell you why your point is valid?

No, generally this is how it works. You say, "This works, science backs it up.." I say, "Where is the science?" You say, "Here is the science."

Not, "This works, science backs it up." "Where is the science?" "You are uninformed"

By the way, if "traditional medicine" doesn't work, then by all means try the alternative.
    You are missing the point that neither do I have to back it up nor do I care even in the slightest in proving it to you. I don't care what you think about it. I do care about you calling bs on my statement. Rather than misrepresent your statements as fact and mine as bs when you really dont know, Just simply state that you subscribe to a different opinion and the world will be a better place.

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    I wouldn't get on that either. That is why it took me so long to medicate. They have a new generation of the drug called Vyvanse. It is time released over a twelve hour period, but I find it only lasts about 9.5 to 10 hours. I take it a 7:30 each morning. I feel the same at 2:00 p.m. as I did at 8:00 a.m. I do find that I sometimes crash at around 4:00 p.m. If it is vital that I keep my concentration or energy, I take a No Doze. That contains the equivalent of two cups of coffee. That gets me through the day.

Because of the time release, the drug cannot be abused. It definitely is not addictive. I take the smallest dose they prescribe and it is effective.

You need to know I'm anything but a pill popper. I hate the feeling of being medicated. However, being medicated for ADD has perhaps made the biggest change in my work life and perhaps even my home life as anything I have ever done. Temper is under control. Blurting is under control. Priorities are straight. Productivity is through the roof. No more depression. I never thought I would say a drug was a miracle, but I think my wife, law partner and secretay would back me up 100%.
    Vyvanse is a schedule II control substance, meaning it is has the most abuse potential of any prescription medication. It can be taken safely and it sounds like you are doing just that, but don't think that it is not addictive or capable of being abused.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

StrongBad, some guys on here have described ADD as a curse, some as a gift. Think of it both ways. You made it through school and you make it through work day in and day out in spite of your constant battle. That means 2 things. 1. You are very gifted and are very smart because you work twice as hard for the same results that you see everyone around you achieving. You are very determined and dedicated otherwise you wouldn't be where you are. 2. With the RIGHT help, i.e. intervention, medication, coaching, and planning you can be even more productive than you are now, and probably some of your coworkers, because it is all up there and you have to learn to use it properly. Think of your brain as a giant file cabinet. Right now, that file cabinet is a huge jumble and makes no sense. Take my advice and get the help I recommended and that file cabinet and mental network will turn into a super-highway before you know it. Remember what I said as well, that help can come in many forms and none of them are bad if it solves your specific issue. Don't take anyone's word for it, not even mine. You have to try everything at your disposal. Just don't sell yourself short by giving up too early.

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    StrongBad, some guys on here have described ADD as a curse, some as a gift. Think of it both ways. You made it through school and you make it through work day in and day out in spite of your constant battle. That means 2 things. 1. You are very gifted and are very smart because you work twice as hard for the same results that you see everyone around you achieving. You are very determined and dedicated otherwise you wouldn't be where you are. 2. With the RIGHT help, i.e. intervention, medication, coaching, and planning you can be even more productive than you are now, and probably some of your coworkers, because it is all up there and you have to learn to use it properly. Think of your brain as a giant file cabinet. Right now, that file cabinet is a huge jumble and makes no sense. Take my advice and get the help I recommended and that file cabinet and mental network will turn into a super-highway before you know it. Remember what I said as well, that help can come in many forms and none of them are bad if it solves your specific issue. Don't take anyone's word for it, not even mine. You have to try everything at your disposal. Just don't sell yourself short by giving up too early.
    +1

Soonerdawg, not that brian96 needs my endorsement, but this is an outstanding summary/compilation of everything that the knowledgeable healthcare professionals posting in this thread have suggested and, used in a combination suitable for you, is the best advice for your challenge that message board rep can buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    Hard to give it much service in a message board post, but here are a handful of tips:

1. If your medicine is getting the desired result without undesirable side effects, then that is great. It would put you in a pretty small minority of people. If it ain't broke, I wouldn't tinker with it too much. Some of the non-stimulant meds are interesting but have other side effects, especially if you are prone to mood and/or anxiety struggles.

2. Just as there is no magic pill, there is no magic behavioral strategy. The overarching goal is to do a variety of things that each lighten your load and help you maximize the bright spots of ADHD and minimize the negatives.

3. A big thing is to learn to be accepting of both the positives and the negatives of ADHD. It is the nature of the beast that you will get distracted, off-track, forget things, etc. There is no need to beat yourself up over it. Acknowledge it and move on. You might even find it possible to laugh at yourself from time to time when you catch yourself "being ADHD."

4. Another big thing is to use organizational tools. Take the time to get your workspace organized. Obviously it won't stay that way, so there is another opportunity to practice acceptance! Just tidy it back up when you notice it. Use calendars. Most importantly: WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN! Stickies work great for me. Even folks without ADHD have trouble remembering things, especially when they are busy. There is no shame in keeping a notepad with you all the time so that you are sure to remember conversations and other things that come up through the day.

5. Take breaks. With ADHD we tend to find ourselves off-track and then wander from project to project, often finishing none of them. To head this off at the pass, work in pre-planned blocks of time. Use a cell-phone of computer calendar alarm to alert you to when it is time to take a break or switch tasks. This will keep you from getting carried away with a task in your hyper-focus modes. Similarly, when you have caught yourself getting fed up with a task, take a time-limited break and COME BACK TO IT. A big mistake many folks with ADHD make is giving up on a task and leaving it. Instead, when you get fed up, interpret it as a cue to take a break, then come right back.

6. To emphasize this point a bit, there is a tendency for folks to get exasperated with tasks, easily losing interest. Understand that this is a feature of ADHD, not a feature of the task. Again, take a break and come back to it.

7. Be healthy. The things that are good for your health (rest, exercise, good diet) are good for your brain, and things that are good with your brain can help minimize ADHD symptoms and maximize compensating resources.

These are some things that have helped me, and I've seen them help others as well.

+ Reply to Thread