+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TCU in talks with the Big East??

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Re: TCU in talks with the Big East??

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    You know who else would be in meltdown mode if this happened? Our friends over in Memphis. Could you imagine if they selected TCU or over Memphis. They would blow a gasket.
    Couldnt happen to a nicer bunch.

Champ Aussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone1 View Post
    That really makes no sense at all.
    TCU is slightly out of place in the MWC.
    They are WAY out of place in the Big East.
    No doubt out of place, but Pitt got owned by a mediocre Miami, and cincy isn't the same without the old ball coach... Tcu gives them someone in a recruiting area to fill a bcs quality void.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

The BCS auto qualifier rules will probably be rewritten, but as they stand now the Big East would do well to snatch one of the milk cows away from the strongest competition. TCU is a no brainer if this is a factor.

Varsity Bulldog DustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to all

If I'm the Big East, I like TCU. Since the breakup of the SWC, they have procuced a high level football team for a sustained period against a lot of challenges and have proven true. They also have a high level baseball program. However, while they don't have a Big East level basketball program, the benefits of getting Big East teams into Texas to play on a regular basis does establish a much desired recruiting window for the other schools for all sports. No, TCU does not "own" its own market, but they are an established staple of the media package there, so the opposing teams get a lot of free press in one of the nation's most important markets. TCU also gets regular press around Texas as well. (Shucks, I know the Frogs have at least one rabid fan in the Lubbock market because the guy three blocks from me is constantly flying his purple TCU flag. Surely that will sway Big East brass :icon_wink:.)

If I'm TCU, I like the Big East. As it has already been stated, the AQ money and additional "prestige" (whether real or imaginary) will outweigh the travel issues. But then, the MWC teams aren't exaclty "next door" either, so I don't know that they would be taking on that much of an additonal travel burden. Also, I get to avoid regular confrontations with that pesky nemesis Boise State and can at least pretend to have a "superior" program.

Finally, like everyone else on this board the only reason I really care about any of this is the potential domino effect of opening up a spot for Tech in CUSA. So for that, I say Go Frogs!

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

TECH to CUSA...I don't care if we have to walk, drive, run, fly, bus, bicycle, crawl or fall into it. WE GOTTA GET THERE.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

No way TCU turns down an invite to the Big East. If you are a non AQ, you don't turn down an invite to be an AQ.
    Good old Memorial Gym

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

JFord's thoughts:

The New York Post reported Tuesday that TCU was being considered by the Big East conference for possible expansion. What does this mean for other conferences like the Western Athletic Conference, Mountain West Conference, and Conference USA? [details]

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    No way TCU turns down an invite to the Big East. If you are a non AQ, you don't turn down an invite to be an AQ.
    Exactly! You never turn down an AQ conference invite. I would grab an AQ invite for Tech if the conference were in Canada. Any non-AQ team could bring in some serious money, build the fan base, market, and recruit. It simply could build your program. If they want to jump later, they will have already benefited from the money and could go to a better geographical fit when there is a spot in a closer AQ conference. You ALWAYS go AQ, if the opportunity is there.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by okiealdawg View Post
    Looks like Boise to the MWC was a bad idea... for the MWC
    they had to know stuff like this would happen. Once another power showed up, they had to know that the old powers would scatter like ants. They don't want to take the chance of being exposed by losing to BSU.

Champ dawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to behold dawgs1's Avatar

I hear that the Johnny's in Baton Rouge is now open.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    JFord's thoughts:

The New York Post reported Tuesday that TCU was being considered by the Big East conference for possible expansion. What does this mean for other conferences like the Western Athletic Conference, Mountain West Conference, and Conference USA? [details]
    If TCU leaves, the MWC is NOT coming back to Texas...their power schools are now west, not east...

SMU adds nothing for them towards AQ (their goal)

I would imagine Utah St to replace for some presence in Utah and hoops units...

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    If TCU leaves, the MWC is NOT coming back to Texas...their power schools are now west, not east...

Their AQ dreams are over, at least for now anyway. TCU leaving just confirms it. Might have survived if BYU had hung around, but when they left, there was no chance. They best they can hope for now is to remain the prime non-AQ conference. If TCU leaves, no guarantees for that either.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post

I don't think SMU would have a chance in the world. I do think that they might stay in Texas with Houston or UTEP (UTEP fits perfectly and Houston has the strength), though.

Champ Tdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the rough Tdawg87's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawgs1 View Post
    I hear that the Johnny's in Baton Rouge is now open.
    Yep, heard that too.

Champ Tdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the rough Tdawg87's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone1 View Post
    That really makes no sense at all.
    TCU is slightly out of place in the MWC.
    They are WAY out of place in the Big East.

I agree, but they will go where the money is and right now the Big East can show them the money, if offered.

TCU is as out of place in the Big East as Tech is in the WAC, so go figure. Makes no sense geographically, but $$$ and survival dictate everything.

+ Reply to Thread