+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adversity

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Adversity

You got that right HD. I played for Tech and it was never a hardship. We had all the advantages you listed plus the privilege of being well-known around campus, the enjoyment of winning, the opportunity to read about yourself in the paper, and the opportunity to have an unsurpassed feeling of invincibility that only college football provides. Football players are handsomely rewarded.

Champ rangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Don't kid youself, Ranger. It's a much better deal than what my son is doing. He goes to Tech, drives to Monroe (in his own car, burning his own gas) to work his butt off in a retail store. He only makes about $4.50 an hour plus sales commissions. (No, they don't pay them minimum wage because they are commissioned.) Essentially, he's like a waiter, he eats what he kills.

I assure you that what my son is doing is a whole lot less fun, and a lot less rewarding than playing college football. He doesn't get the free tuition, free books, free meals, or free room. He doesn't live in the nicest dorm on campus, and he doesn't get to pick his classes before the rest of the student body. My son won't get to travel to Hawaii, California, New Mexico and Idaho on the school's dime this year either. Nope, he lives in one of the crappiest dorms on campus (Mitchell), and he's writing a check for all that stuff. And it's NOT fun.

Playing college footbal is a BIG TIME PRIVILEGE. Anybody that doesn't think so has got their head buried up their butt.

HD
    Now there you go HD....I said in an earlier post you made, GREAT POST HD....then you go beatch slapping me around.

NO WHERE IN MY POST DID I SAY IT WAS NOT A PRIVILEDGE!!!!! It certainly is! It is something they work for from the time they are 5 years old. It comes with so many rewards that it is not funny. We talk alot about all the experiences he has had and is getting. Now, truthfully, the travel experience is playing the game. They don't get to really enjoy anywhere that they go. In Hawaii, they had 3 hours of free time! HOWEVER, that is 3 hours more than 99% of the student body got in Hawaii.

I was simply running the numbers. It was not an emotional or debateable post. Just simply crunching numbers because I had never done it and it was the topic. Every kid that I know on that team LOVES playing football for Tech. I talk to them all the time and they know what they have. Yeah, there are days they don't like it, no likes what they do every day, however, they love what they do. They know the benefits of what they do, they live with it and understand it. But don't ever misunderstand that it is a lot of work.

So, that being said, please don't try to "interpret" what I say. You know me and I am pretty outspoken. My post was just an excercise to see what it really pays. What I DID NOT take into that pay, was the FULL BENEFIT of a DEGREE from TECH! That you cannot put a price on.

Champ rangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    You got that right HD. I played for Tech and it was never a hardship. We had all the advantages you listed plus the privilege of being well-known around campus, the enjoyment of winning, the opportunity to read about yourself in the paper, and the opportunity to have an unsurpassed feeling of invincibility that only college football provides. Football players are handsomely rewarded.
    Geez. Can none of you read? Was the word HARDSHIP in any of my posts? No. I agreed with HD in his primary post on this thread. Then I ran the numbers as an excercise. If you think that i was suggesting that playing college football was a hardship, then you don't know me or how I feel about this. Yes, they are handsomely rewarded, but as previously stated, the BIGGEST reward is their degree. However, and since you played, I would expect you would admit to this, it is hard work about 49 weeks a year.

Varsity Bulldog bulldog95 seems to have something between the earsbulldog95 seems to have something between the earsbulldog95 seems to have something between the earsbulldog95 seems to have something between the earsbulldog95 seems to have something between the earsbulldog95 seems to have something between the earsbulldog95 seems to have something between the ears bulldog95's Avatar

I would be proud of Louisiana Tech if we never won another game, and I will always believe in this university and the men and women who represent it. We will win, and win plenty, in the coming years, if not this year. Rome wasn't built in a day...

I just want Tech to strive for perfection and keep fighting. That's the attitude that I think Tech represents. That's why I keep coming to games and supporting the university. If I had a million to give the school I'd do it in a heartbeat because I owe Tech for where I am today.

Now go kick some butt Dawgs!

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    You left out the most important advantage.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdawg View Post
    Now there you go HD....I said in an earlier post you made, GREAT POST HD....then you go beatch slapping me around.

NO WHERE IN MY POST DID I SAY IT WAS NOT A PRIVILEDGE!!!!! It certainly is! It is something they work for from the time they are 5 years old. It comes with so many rewards that it is not funny. We talk alot about all the experiences he has had and is getting. Now, truthfully, the travel experience is playing the game. They don't get to really enjoy anywhere that they go. In Hawaii, they had 3 hours of free time! HOWEVER, that is 3 hours more than 99% of the student body got in Hawaii.

I was simply running the numbers. It was not an emotional or debateable post. Just simply crunching numbers because I had never done it and it was the topic. Every kid that I know on that team LOVES playing football for Tech. I talk to them all the time and they know what they have. Yeah, there are days they don't like it, no likes what they do every day, however, they love what they do. They know the benefits of what they do, they live with it and understand it. But don't ever misunderstand that it is a lot of work.

So, that being said, please don't try to "interpret" what I say. You know me and I am pretty outspoken. My post was just an excercise to see what it really pays. What I DID NOT take into that pay, was the FULL BENEFIT of a DEGREE from TECH! That you cannot put a price on.
    That's a GREAT post! :icon_wink:

HD

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

I did not say that being a college athlete was not an enviable position. My point of contention is with those that say the players are getting "free" tuition. They are discounting the work that the athletes do. I can safely say that LFR worked hard while playing for Tech. My perspective on this was as a cross country runner and manager of the track team where we did not get the accolades associated with the more popular sports.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Easydawg View Post
    Their adversity is a lot different than ours. I doubt anyone would have 11 guys coming at them ready to tear off your head. It is absurd to compare our adversities to a football player's. Now I do believe sports does a person good and affects the decisions one makes everyday. If a player can't take the heat, then he can either get better or quit.

You could not be more wrong. It's not the 11 guys coming after them, it's when they do not have the success that they expected and are down that is the adversity that I speak of. Do they divide themselves and lose focus, complain about others performance? Do they lose faith in the system or stay strong and believe they will be successful even when the results they are getting on the field don't seem to suggest that they will? It is absolutely no different to expect them to stick together, keep believing and keep fighting. Just as we as fans have to continue to believe and not turn on each other and run for the hills. There may come a time for major evaluations and changes but it isn't in the middle of the damn season. People need to have a little character and fortitude instead of being little bitching betty's at any 1st sign of adversity.

+ Reply to Thread