+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BLog Posted by Tom Aswell on Louisianavoice.com

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: BLog Posted by Tom Aswell on Louisianavoice.com

Quote Originally Posted by CChandler View Post
    Who is this clown and why do I care about his blog?

Sounds like your classic 45 year old Tech grad that thinks his alma mater is small time and pulls for LSU...

....Oh wait, he is! And his writing is horrible. What a no talent ass clown. And he did this for a living? Really?

Thank God we're presently creating more Tech graduate fans per capita than ever before. This archaic view of in-state athletics needs to just die off already.

...I really need to start a blog.
    Agreed. However, this guy did say his 40th year after graduating from Tech was coming up this year, so that would make him about 61 or 62 years old. Let's face it, most of that generation still has the "Southland Conference" mentality and have no clue what's been going on at Tech. This clown is no different. He longs for the days of Tech vs NLU again, and he just can't stand that Tech is doing fine without 'em.

It's funny how this guy tried to couple LA Tech's academics with Grambling's and ULM's. Could he really be THAT stupid? Is he not aware that U.S. News & World Report recently raised LA Tech's academic ranking to "National Tier 3" status, the same as Ole Miss, Miss State and Oklahoma St? (And far above, ULM's and Grambling's ranking!)

There's nothing new about people like this guy. Unfortunately, LA Tech grads like him ARE the problem. I guarantee you he was one of those LSU wannabees I saw in Tiger Stadium last year who graduated from Tech but actually cheered for LSU to beat Tech. I can also guarantee you he has never given a dime of support to LA Tech since graduating 40 years ago. Just shameful. Thank God we produce grads much better than that these days. We just need people like him to die away.

HD

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

We beat Mississippi State in a bowl game?!? Man, I must be a bad fan cause I thought we bear Northern Illinois in a bowl game and Miss State during the regular season. That blog is ridiculous can't even get basic facts right.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CChandler View Post
    I'm not offended. A no-armed blind wildebeest can dance circles around my writing. Teatech dances circles around my writing.

But his form is poor compared to most others I've read that do this stuff for a living. It just is.

Guessin ol Tom was a buddy of yours from back in the journalism dept days, huh?
    I'm not gonna get in an argument with you over the guy. Yes, he's a prize-winning journalist, not one of these new johnny-come-lately bloggers. Like I said, he's been in Baton Rouge too long. His opinion on this is severely tainted.

Don't always agree with his opinions, but, yes, I do respect his writings.

Don't argue with me, comment on his blog. That's what he wants you to do.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ longdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    With all due respect, Butch Aswell can dance circles around your writing. He's just spent too long in Baton Rouge . . . .
    No one has heard of this hack outside of Baton Rouge, he's trying to draw attention to his pathetic blog.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder why old ASSwell has not supported his alma mater over the last 40 years. Has he donated to LTAC or the QFE. I hate SOBs like ASShole, I mean ASSwell. They have to write shit that makes them feel important and support the shithole in BR to help their self esteem. I bet his testicles were removed right after he graduated from Tech or maybe he never had any to begin with, and he doesn't stand for a damn thing. So, ASSwell, if you are reading this, you can kiss my red and blue ass right in the groove.

Champ longdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    I wonder why old ASSwell has not supported his alma mater over the last 40 years. Has he donated to LTAC or the QFE. I hate SOBs like ASShole, I mean ASSwell. They have to write shit that makes them feel important and support the shithole in BR to help their self esteem. I bet his testicles were removed right after he graduated from Tech or maybe he never had any to begin with, and he doesn't stand for a damn thing. So, ASSwell, if you are reading this, you can kiss my red and blue ass right in the groove.
    Nice

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

I thought I remembered him at the Leader.

http://pelicanpub.com/products.asp?cat=36

Sorry I don't know how to post a link properly and sorry if I'm not supposed to do that in the first place. Was editor of Leader and News Star among other things. Named funniest man in Louisiana in 1992.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

A few points:

1. I think we all know on this board that the claim that economics are dragging down Tech's Academics is erroneous. The university is moving forward with new facilities on its campus, including its Research Park, a new College of Business building, and a renovated Visual Arts Building for start-up businesses. The university is attracting more high-quality students than ever before. The Graduate School has the higher enrollment in its history. The graduation rate at Louisiana Tech is among the highest in the state of Louisiana.

I don't believe that Tech Athletics is a drain on the university. As a matter of fact, if the athletic programs are built up properly, as they are now, Tech Athletics can be a major asset and a key way to promote our university to the nation. Just ask anyone around you how they found out about Boise State University. It is certainly not because of their academic programs.

2. Mr. Aswell harped on Tech football's "delusions of mediocrity". He failed to mention the successes of the other sports teams at Louisiana Tech who are also members of the Western Athletic Conference. The Women's Track and Field teams are routinely the best in the WAC. The Lady Techsters Basketball team won the WAC Tournament and returned to the NCAA Women's Tourney this year. The Bulldog Basketball team has improved over the last few years under Kerry Rupp. The Baseball and Softball teams are decent, and the Women's Soccer and Volleyball teams have improved their records dramatically in the past 2-3 years.

Since Dooley and Van de Velde took over as the ADs at Tech, the emphasis on excellence that appeared to be exclusive to Tech Academics for a long time has been extended to Tech Athletics. The university has constructed brand new tennis and track & field facilities while the existing facilities have been significant renovated. There is a renewed and revitalized spirit regarding Tech Athletics that will reap benefits for its student athletes and Louisiana Tech in the years to come.

With the improvements made to Tech's sports teams and athletics facilities, I don't see how the Louisiana Tech Athletic Department is "reeling, stumbling, and faltering", unless Tom is thinking back to the Oakes era.

3. Mr. Aswell says "it's time to downsize". I agree. It's time to downsize the number of Louisiana colleges that have duplicate missions and programs. It's time to downsize the universities that fail to produce quality graduates on a mass scale. It's time to downsize the institutions that do not give their students a quality education. Doing this will ultimately be a better strategy for focusing our taxpayer dollars to producing a generation of high-quality graduates than if Louisiana Tech "knew their proper role" and downsized their athletic department and their expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by CutiePie72 View Post
    I thought I remembered him at the Leader.

http://pelicanpub.com/products.asp?cat=36

Sorry I don't know how to post a link properly and sorry if I'm not supposed to do that in the first place. Was editor of Leader and News Star among other things. Named funniest man in Louisiana in 1992.
    I named myself funniest man in Texas last year, ask my wife. Seriously, who hands that award?

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

The Big Easy Laugh Off contest in New Orleans according to this:
    http://www.aeispeakers.com/speakerbio.php?SpeakerID=44

Varsity Bulldog dphindawg is on top of his/her gamedphindawg is on top of his/her gamedphindawg is on top of his/her gamedphindawg is on top of his/her gamedphindawg is on top of his/her gamedphindawg is on top of his/her gamedphindawg is on top of his/her gamedphindawg is on top of his/her gamedphindawg is on top of his/her gamedphindawg is on top of his/her gamedphindawg is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by CutiePie72 View Post
    The Big Easy Laugh Off contest in New Orleans according to this:
    http://www.aeispeakers.com/speakerbio.php?SpeakerID=44
    http://louisianavoice.com/2010/09/15...graphy-lesson/

With witty stories such as this I can see why. How he left a a joke about waterproof not being waterproof i will never now.

When he isn't writing blogs he is in his yard screaming "you damn kids get off my lawn"

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems Tom [might] Aswell STFU about LaTech athletics!

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

2 things.

1.He is right we need to get out of the wac.

2. Who in the blue hell is Tom Aswell and why do I give a damn of what he thinks?. It looks like a dude with a blog...

I don't know the guy but remembered when he was at the Leader, and I'm not taking up for him or what he said at all. But did you read the two links I posted above--both found by googling his name. That should explain who he is unless you were being sarcastic when you asked "Who is this guy?"

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

FWIW, his awards were for being the first newsman to expose the Grambling accounting system and audits gone south involving "Classics" held in Tokyo. GSU officials at the time (in the late 1970s) were the first sent to jail for theft and misappropriation of athletics revenue.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

+ Reply to Thread