+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: BLog Posted by Tom Aswell on Louisianavoice.com

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Re: BLog Posted by Tom Aswell on Louisianavoice.com

A quick question for all of the knowledgeable Tech fans on the board:

What is the deal with Athletic Fees?

We transfer X amount from the General Fund correct?

Is the general fund part of the money we get from the state or is it from our tuition?

If we decided we were going to charge the max athletic fee and not use the general fund transfer would the money we get from the state decrease by the same amount or would that be a way to increase our overall budget?

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    A quick question for all of the knowledgeable Tech fans on the board:

What is the deal with Athletic Fees?

We transfer X amount from the General Fund correct?

Is the general fund part of the money we get from the state or is it from our tuition?

If we decided we were going to charge the max athletic fee and not use the general fund transfer would the money we get from the state decrease by the same amount or would that be a way to increase our overall budget?
    Monies paid in student tuition go into the General Fund. Those dollars, along with an allocation from the state, come back to Tech and comprise the university budget. A portion of that budget can be allocated to athletics. The maximum dollar amount is dictated by several factors but is higher for football-playing schools in the FBS.

Tech could charge a higher student fee for athletics, but can only transfer up to the maxium under the Regents' rules. We already transfer the maximum, as does ULL. ULM does not transfer the maximum, given their overall budget situation.

This is one area, among many, where Aswell really misses the boat. He fails to realize that a large portion of the "General Fund" money is actually student tuition coming back to the university.

Also, the last numbers from the Regents I saw in this area showed that Louisiana was still below the national average in maxium allowable general fund/student fee transfers compared to our peers in other states.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

To follow up. With performance based funding, Tech isn't going to suffer the kinds of budget cuts other schools in the UL and LSU systems are facing. Aswell misses the mark on this subject, as well.

http://www.knoe.com/Global/story.asp?S=12766659

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlum05 View Post
    It's named after James B. Aswell, the 3rd President of Louisiana Tech University. That's the great-great-uncle that Tom refered to in his article.
    Guess I missed that since I didn't read everything word for word, just enough to be disgusted with the guy. And the fact that it was his great-great-uncle makes all his writings even more disgusting. I find it rather weird and sad that a great-great-nephew of a past Tech president would say such things about the school. He's probably turning over in his grave. Good grief.

Champ Allgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud of

My rant for the day about student fees and the like:

Coming from a student, I'd pay an extra $120 a year at the gate to see Tech play at JAS.

As my 8am, math 101 professor told us, "Ight chilrens, time for arithmatic."

Let's say we bring in 6,000 students on average at 6 home games at $20 bucks, that's $720,000 extra to pay for BOP unis (), Q4E, etc.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    My rant for the day about student fees and the like:

Coming from a student, I'd pay an extra $120 a year at the gate to see Tech play at JAS.

As my 8am, math 101 professor told us, "Ight chilrens, time for arithmatic."

Let's say we bring in 6,000 students on average at 6 home games at $20 bucks, that's $720,000 extra to pay for BOP unis (), Q4E, etc.
    My suggestion was a check mark on the online payments for tuition asking if you'd like to make a $25 donation to athletics.

That said, students could still donate the $120 if they were so inclined.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Monies paid in student tuition go into the General Fund. Those dollars, along with an allocation from the state, come back to Tech and comprise the university budget. A portion of that budget can be allocated to athletics. The maximum dollar amount is dictated by several factors but is higher for football-playing schools in the FBS.

Tech could charge a higher student fee for athletics, but can only transfer up to the maxium under the Regents' rules. We already transfer the maximum, as does ULL. ULM does not transfer the maximum, given their overall budget situation.

This is one area, among many, where Aswell really misses the boat. He fails to realize that a large portion of the "General Fund" money is actually student tuition coming back to the university.

Also, the last numbers from the Regents I saw in this area showed that Louisiana was still below the national average in maxium allowable general fund/student fee transfers compared to our peers in other states.
    Exactly. According to the US Dept of Education, only 37% of Tech's general fund comes from state appropriated funds. EagerEagle had made people believe that our general fund and "direct institutional support" are 100% taxpayer money. This is not true.

Champ okiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud of

My wife and I drove in from Bama for the USM game and spent the following in Ruston:

Hotel - 2 nights $135
    Meals - 5 total $120
    Dawghouse - $20
    Bookstore - 3 shirts and coozie $95
    Gas - $40
    Lottery tickets - $10 (didn't even win a free ticket...)
    Walmart - 12 pack beer and cooler - $30
    Game tickets - $50
    Program - $5
    Drinks at game - $20

Overall total - $525

My brother and his son drove up from Houston and spent about the same $.

That's $525 that was spent in Ruston that without La Tech football we would have no reason at all to come back. Now if 2000 or so people did the same that's over 1 million spent right there. As program grows the economic impact becomes even more impressive and can easily offset the 4 million in general transfers from the state.

Forgot to add we won $107 in Vicksburg - sorry Mississippi!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post
    How do backwards thinking, sighing-for-the-past people like Aswell and Mrs. Piker (responded favorably to his blog) even write this crap? Surely in their longing-for-the-60's, wallowing in antiquity minds they wouldn't use one of these newfangled computers like I'm writing on. I was at Tech with Aswell and took classes under Piker's dad, so I know that era, but:

THIS IS THE MOST EXCITING, ENERGIZED, POSITIVE ERA EVER TO BE A TECH FAN!!!!

Our facilities have made wonderful progress, and will soon be getting monumentally better. In their old world I'd never have seen Ryan Moats kick Fresno's ass, Livas return a kickoff on national TV, us take down an SEC school in Ruston, seen my Dawgs pulverize SMU and Tulsa, or been in dynamite crowd on ESPN as we took on Hawaii and Boise at home last year. Tailgating in the 60's: never. Dawgzilla: no way. I guess Aswell would kill women's athletics too. Yuk.

Too bad the small minded are missing the excitement and thrill of being a 21st century TECH FAN.

GO DAWGS!!!!!
    Love that post, Russdawg!

HD

Puppy Bulletproof lover is a jewel in the roughBulletproof lover is a jewel in the roughBulletproof lover is a jewel in the roughBulletproof lover is a jewel in the roughBulletproof lover is a jewel in the roughBulletproof lover is a jewel in the roughBulletproof lover is a jewel in the roughBulletproof lover is a jewel in the roughBulletproof lover is a jewel in the roughBulletproof lover is a jewel in the roughBulletproof lover is a jewel in the rough

Old people hate change.

Big Dog Snapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to beholdSnapdawg is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Bulletproof lover View Post
    Old people hate change.
    Your full of S___, I'm older than dirt.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bulletproof lover View Post
    Old people hate change.

'cept when there's a parking meter or newspaper machine .

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Nice work everyone who's replied to Aswell's blog.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post

Thanks for the response. So if we charged student fees wouldn't we see a small increase in budget? Our athletic budget wouldn't change but there would be a larger amount of money in the general fund correct?

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    Thanks for the response. So if we charged student fees wouldn't we see a small increase in budget? Our athletic budget wouldn't change but there would be a larger amount of money in the general fund correct?
    Correct. The AD budget would not change, but you could redirect monies elsewhere that could indirectly impact the AD, such as facilities improvements around campus, etc...

+ Reply to Thread