+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The feminization of America continues

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Re: The feminization of America continues

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    I played on a baseketball team on the bad side of a 198-34 whipping by W.O Boston. We were already a bad team, but several of our starters were booted for the game for drinking. Then, our only remaining senior refused to play. W.O. Boston's coach was known for running up huge scores.

At halftime, we were down 98-4. I was scoreless in the first half. My dad, who never before nor ever again interferred with our coaches or with me during a game, came down from the stands and told me if I didn't play with all I had, I would be walking home. That was 60 miles through a marsh.

We got the hell beat out of us, but I did get 24 points in the second half. I was completely drained of all energy. However, I did contest several shots by David Lawrence and Mayo with time running out, that had one of them gone in, would have given them 200. Lawrence was 6-10.

Small victory, but I will tell you that I grew up some that day. The rest of the story is that Marion, who was second place in our district that year ended up beating W.O. Boston in the state finals that year. W.O. Boston refused to accept their second place trophy.

I guess what I'm getting at with this long story is that I think you can learn a lot in an ass whipping. Don't sit back and take it. Play the game and fight like hell.
    Great story, Sooner, and I agree with you about playing and fighting.

But, your post makes it obvious that you never learned anything from the semantic tricks of Jack Bicknell.

Instead of saying that you were down 98-4 at half and lost 198-34, the answer in Bicknellese would have been, "We improved our scoring by more than 700% in the second half, and I led the way with 600% of that 700%."

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    That's true. The same way a lot of kids in Shreveport / Bossier moved to the Evangel district.
    And that was kinda my point. Not that West Monroe was doing anything wrong or illegal (to my knowledge, they are not) just that they are another school that has benefitted enormously over the years from high-impact transfers of quality athletes, arguably moreso than Evangel and John Curtis, but everyone raised Cain over Evangel and John Curtis and got them kicked out of 5A and 4A, respectively. The LHSAA even offered a blood sacrifice to the mob when they denied Geoff Nixon eligibility at Evangel for no good reason, after numerous other similar transfers were green-lighted that year. But the mob would not be appeased.

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    That's true. The same way a lot of kids in Shreveport / Bossier moved to the Evangel district.
    I may be wrong, but you don't have to live in a certain district to attend Evangel. It's a private school. Oh, and most people in Shreveport/Bossier wouldn't want to live in the "Evangel district". Broadmoor and South Highlands is where people move to as far as being in a good school ditrict goes.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

I went to a high school state championship game in La. in the late 60's that looked like a total mismatch when you first looked out on the field. This was the game between Airline and one of those big catholic schools out of New Orleans which I think was Holy Cross. The guys I went with were all from New Orleans and a couple of them went to Holy Cross and they were kidding me the whole time about how these little north La. teams couldn't play with the big teams from New Orleans.

Holy Cross kicked off and the Airline RB who was about 170 fielded the ball at the 5 and took it straight up the middle for 95 yards and a TD. That was the closest the score would get all night. Airline had a NG that weighed about 160 and he was in the HC backfield before their big 230 pound RBs could get the ball. The final score wound up something like 35-7 for Ailine. It was just a different brand of football played in north and south La. back then. The teams from the south were big and slow and the teams from the north were small and quick and would knock your ass off. My buddies were real quiet all the way back to Tech.

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

I thought that Evangel is also a boarding school. That is how they got the kids from Texas, Arkansas and Mississippi to be eligible.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I played on a baseketball team on the bad side of a 198-34 whipping by W.O Boston. We were already a bad team, but several of our starters were booted for the game for drinking. Then, our only remaining senior refused to play. W.O. Boston's coach was known for running up huge scores.

At halftime, we were down 98-4. I was scoreless in the first half. My dad, who never before nor ever again interferred with our coaches or with me during a game, came down from the stands and told me if I didn't play with all I had, I would be walking home. That was 60 miles through a marsh.

We got the hell beat out of us, but I did get 24 points in the second half. I was completely drained of all energy. However, I did contest several shots by David Lawrence and Mayo with time running out, that had one of them gone in, would have given them 200. Lawrence was 6-10.

Small victory, but I will tell you that I grew up some that day. The rest of the story is that Marion, who was second place in our district that year ended up beating W.O. Boston in the state finals that year. W.O. Boston refused to accept their second place trophy.

I guess what I'm getting at with this long story is that I think you can learn a lot in an ass whipping. Don't sit back and take it. Play the game and fight like hell.
    Holy moly! well, at least they didn't reach 200! Good job on defense down the stretch keepin 'em below the double-century mark.

I played in a men's league that was chock full of ringers, including Pistol Pete one year. One game we got beat 124-29. Not as bad as your whipping, but close nuff.

Reminds me of a funny story. Y'all remember KEEL's Dirty Dribblers, composed of former college players that went around the ARKLATEX doing charity games... they were in Natch and I was asked to play on the local side. Mike Henry is a former Tulane player who was DA in Natch at that time. At halftime we were down something like 75-12 and Mike had scored 10 of our points, he was wearing jersey #12...

The coach of the KEEL team walks out onto the floor before the start of the 2nd half, jokingly angrily points at Mike and yells at his team: Who's guarding number 12? He's killin' us!"

It was for fun and charity....

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrongBad View Post
    I may be wrong, but you don't have to live in a certain district to attend Evangel. It's a private school. Oh, and most people in Shreveport/Bossier wouldn't want to live in the "Evangel district". Broadmoor and South Highlands is where people move to as far as being in a good school ditrict goes.
    That was part of the argument made against Evangel back when I lived in Shreveport. I haven't lived there in about 9 years, so the rule could have changed. Back then the public schools complained the Evangel had an unfair advantage becasue they could recruit kids from all over town, including Phillip Deas who had previously lived in Bossier and played at Airline.

LHSAA made a rule that kids transferring to Evangel had to live in their district (which was actually Huntington's district) in order to be eligible to play football. So, there was a lot of moving around, and a lot of finger-pointing. Eventually a few kids transferred from Mansfield and were denied eligibility, which started a new round of finger-pointing. LHSAA ended up passing the rule when the guy from Ruston was in charge (can't remember his name).

Any school that has a good football team will always have kids that want to go play there. Passing silly rules won't change that.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

The attendance rules are stupid A student should be allowed to attend wherever he or she wants to go to school. If Evangel offers great football training, why should a blue chip athelete forced to go to Sibley? It makes no sense.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

The attendance rules are stupid A student should be allowed to attend wherever he or she wants to go to school. If Evangel offers great football training, why should a blue chip athelete forced to go to Sibley? It makes no sense.
    They are also inconsistant...

If a kid in Forrest, Kilborne, or Epps wants to play football he can go to Oak Grove. There are several other Parishes like this.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    They are also inconsistant...

If a kid in Forrest, Kilborne, or Epps wants to play football he can go to Oak Grove. There are several other Parishes like this.
    They want to control us from cradle to grave.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    James' deal was a dust-up because Wossman raised hell. He moved to WM which is allowed under the rules.

Did he run track at Wossman in the spring while playing football at the U in the fall?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    Did he run track at Wossman in the spring while playing football at the U in the fall?
    Never heard that one. Maybe he was finishing out his Jr track year and participating in spring football at the U...

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Well, Rummel COULD recruit with the best of 'em, if we had a mind to. But, it's contrary to the mission of the school.

At that state semi-final game a few years back, when Evangel smoked us 39-0, several of we alum types were in the stands just behind the Rummel bench. Late in the game, the outcome obvious, we were making idle chatter about putting together a "killer football team." Some of those in the convo are more informed than I am and mentioned our scholarship fund that is something like $80 million+. So, good FB players who couldn't afford the hefty tuition (higher than most public colleges) could be put on a 'ship. Well...you'd a thought we were discussing assassinating the Pope or something....our school's VP of Academics (name escapes me, he graduated from Rummel with my older brother) overheard us....whoa! Gave us a good tongue-lashing. We don't do that! That is not what we're about! etc...

But....I wish we would do it just one time!

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

My understanding is that the rule about living in the district to play is similar to the rule in NCAA about changing schools. If you live outside of the district designated for a private school, you have to sit out your first year there but can play after that. We had this happen at Jesuit in Shreveport (now Loyola) when I was there back in the dark ages. Supposedly, it was put in because of a coach we had during the 60's that would recruit sophomores and juniors to play on the team. They won district every year from 1960 to 1969 plus one state championship.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Well, Rummel COULD recruit with the best of 'em, if we had a mind to. But, it's contrary to the mission of the school.

At that state semi-final game a few years back, when Evangel smoked us 39-0, several of we alum types were in the stands just behind the Rummel bench. Late in the game, the outcome obvious, we were making idle chatter about putting together a "killer football team." Some of those in the convo are more informed than I am and mentioned our scholarship fund that is something like $80 million+. So, good FB players who couldn't afford the hefty tuition (higher than most public colleges) could be put on a 'ship. Well...you'd a thought we were discussing assassinating the Pope or something....our school's VP of Academics (name escapes me, he graduated from Rummel with my older brother) overheard us....whoa! Gave us a good tongue-lashing. We don't do that! That is not what we're about! etc...

But....I wish we would do it just one time!
    The vast majority the Catholic schools have taken a similar stance in the past 10-12 years. Many around the state made the assumption the Catholic schools recruit like Curtis or Evangel. Because of those accusations, most Catholic school coaching staffs now go out of their way to never make contact with junior high school kids who are potential students, even if the child and their parents contact the school first. Those kids go through the regular admissions process.

In New Orleans, several Catholic schools have let it be known that their entire rosters are kids from Catholic feeder schools. I have also heard Mike Boyer, the principal at Teurlings in Lafayette, say that only one public school child who participated in sports has inquired and been admitted into that school in the past five years.

+ Reply to Thread