+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Canes Warning

Varsity Bulldog wce1980 is a jewel in the roughwce1980 is a jewel in the roughwce1980 is a jewel in the roughwce1980 is a jewel in the roughwce1980 is a jewel in the roughwce1980 is a jewel in the roughwce1980 is a jewel in the roughwce1980 is a jewel in the roughwce1980 is a jewel in the roughwce1980 is a jewel in the roughwce1980 is a jewel in the rough

Re: Canes Warning

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    I went to Canes in Bossier City tonight and ordered a large drink. When we got to the window they handed me a purple and gold lsu cup. I looked at the girl and quickly told her I could not take that cup. She thought I was kidding and I again explained that I could not take the cup, it could not come into my car or go to my house. She asked if I was serious and I assured her I was. I asked her where the red cups were and she ended up giving me 2 mediums instead of a large. There is NO WAY we could EVER drink out of that cup. So, if you don't want lsu, order a medium at Canes!
    I'm glad you didn't go right at closing time. I'm sure since they have LSU cups they would have gotten really confused and time would have run out and they would have had to close before delivering your food.

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAB View Post
    And IMO, Cane's is a better value than Chick-fil-a.

Cane's chicken has gotten worse and worse over the years. When Cane's first started popping up, the prices were lower and the food was better than Chik-fil-a. Now the prices are way too high for how small the chicken strips are. IMO I'd much rather Chik-fil-a than Cane's now.

also FWIW Chik-fil-a Waffle Fries > Cane fries

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgonit View Post

Cane's chicken has gotten worse and worse over the years. When Cane's first started popping up, the prices were lower and the food was better than Chik-fil-a. Now the prices are way too high for how small the chicken strips are. IMO I'd much rather Chik-fil-a than Cane's now.

also FWIW Chik-fil-a Waffle Fries > Cane fries
    True Dat!

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

I don't know if its true up there in the frozen north but here in BR they are saying that a portion of the proceeds from the large LSPoo drinks is donated to the "Forever LSU" funding campaign. Someone may need to check on that in the Ruston/Shreveport area.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

The story I got (before Canes ever made it up this way) is the founder is a tigger grad who presented his Canes' business plan as a student for a project or something?? in a bus. class. I think the guy told me Canes/Hurricane was the name of his dog at the time he wrote the paper. Don't remember whether he opened the first store before he graduated.

Free enterprise works .... works even better for dawgs.

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by hoppinmad View Post
    The story I got (before Canes ever made it up this way) is the founder is a tigger grad who presented his Canes' business plan as a student for a project or something?? in a bus. class. I think the guy told me Canes/Hurricane was the name of his dog at the time he wrote the paper. Don't remember whether he opened the first store before he graduated.

Free enterprise works .... works even better for dawgs.
    Business prof told him it was a stupid idea, and wouldn't work. He worked as a fisherman in Alaska to raise the money, and wanted to call it Sockeye Chicken Fingers (or something like that after the fish that he caught to raise the money).

Moral of the story, don't listen to naysayers when you truly believe in your idea.

Varsity Bulldog bigdawg04 is just really nicebigdawg04 is just really nicebigdawg04 is just really nicebigdawg04 is just really nicebigdawg04 is just really nicebigdawg04 is just really nicebigdawg04 is just really nicebigdawg04 is just really nicebigdawg04 is just really nicebigdawg04 is just really nicebigdawg04 is just really nice

did not say i liked mcdonalds chicken nuggets. just said that canes chicken fingers are not any better. some of you people on here are such smart asses.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by splicer View Post
    Business prof told him it was a stupid idea, and wouldn't work. He worked as a fisherman in Alaska to raise the money, and wanted to call it Sockeye Chicken Fingers (or something like that after the fish that he caught to raise the money).

Moral of the story, don't listen to naysayers when you truly believe in your idea.

You got that right....thanks for filling in other details.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

Thumbs Down Re: Canes Warning

Quote Originally Posted by BRDawg81 View Post
    I don't know if its true up there in the frozen north but here in BR they are saying that a portion of the proceeds from the large LSPoo drinks is donated to the "Forever LSU" funding campaign. Someone may need to check on that in the Ruston/Shreveport area.
    I've never eaten "Cane's" because before the opportunity came, we had our little incident of the disrespectful signage at a Cane's here in Baton Rouge- "La Tech, what a joke".
    Never got an appology, just an e-mail bribe for free meals which was declind en lieu of requested appology. I'm still waiting for the "O", so still haven't partaken of any Cane's. I am happy with "tha Chik."

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

Didn't hear about that sign. Another place added to my "do not eat here" list.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OLDBLUE View Post
    I've never eaten "Cane's" because before the opportunity came, we had our little incident of the disrespectful signage at a Cane's here in Baton Rouge- "La Tech, what a joke".
    Never got an appology, just an e-mail bribe for free meals which was declind en lieu of requested appology. I'm still waiting for the "O", so still haven't partaken of any Cane's. I am happy with "tha Chik."
    That is too funny- I got an e-mail and a call. They were very nice in their apology. You must have gotten overlooked with the volume, because the guy told me they had had a ton of complaints from that.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRDawg81 View Post
    I just wanted to reiterate this statement. I noticed this last week when down in BR for my new treatments. I'd be willing to bet that all proceeds, not just BR sales, will go towards this campaign. If you eat at Canes, do not order the LSU cup drink.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by splicer View Post

Are you sure you aren't getting this mixed up with the FedEX story. Now I have to go read to see if even the FedEX story is true. The whole thing may be a legend.

P.S. Here is a blurb about the beginnings of FedEx from Wikipedia, for what that is worth:

In 1962, Smith entered Yale University. While attending Yale, he wrote a paper for an economics class, outlining overnight delivery service in a computer information age. Folklore suggests that he received a C for this paper, although in a later interview he claims that he told a reporter, "I don't know what grade, probably made my usual C", while other tales suggest that his professor told him that, in order for him to get a C, the idea had to be feasible. The paper became the idea of FedEx (for years, the sample package displayed in the company's print advertisements featured a return address at Yale). Smith became a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity and the secret society Skull and Bones.[5][6] He received his Bachelor's degree in economics in 1966. In his college years, he was a friend and DKE fraternity brother of George W. Bush.[7] Smith was also friends with John Kerry and shared an enthusiasm for aviation with Kerry[8] and was a flying partner with him.
    Here is the Wikipedia blurb for Cane's"

The initial business plan for Raising Cane's is derived from a concept initially developed by Guthrie's in Athens Georgia. Graves worked for Guthrie's in the early 90's. Silvey proposed this business model for a business class project at LSU, for which Silvey received a "C-".[1] Although the business plan was rejected numerous times by potential investors[citation needed], Graves and Silvey obtained a loan, which they used to open the first outlet in Baton Rouge at the intersection of Highland Road and East State Street near LSU. Originally the small restaurant competed against a similarly-themed drive-in called Bailey's Chicken Fingers on the opposite end of the campus. By 1999, however, Raising Cane's was able to prove itself the more successful business: it bought out Bailey's, becoming the only chicken-finger focused restaurant in the area.
    I guess I'm cynical, because here is the Wikipedia blurb for the founder, Todd Graves:

Graves had a vision for a quick-service restaurant focusing on a simple menu item, chicken fingers. Unable to gain financing, Graves decided to raise his own capital and worked as a boilermaker in Los Angeles, California and a commercial sockeye salmon fisherman in Naknek, Alaska.[2] On August 26, 1996, Graves opened Raising Cane's for business. Over the next 12 years, Graves would oversee the company expansion to over 70 restaurants[3] and over $100 million in annual sales.
    One says it was an idea in college and he obtained financing. THe other says he couldn't get financing and he earned the money as a boilermaker in, of all places, Los Angeles.

I used to tell the FedEx story. Not any more. If I had to guess at the truth, Smith did turn in the paper for FedEx, but he was not a dedicated student and did not turn in a good paper. He probably did get a C, not because the professor thought the idea sucked, but because the paper was really C work.

Who knows. I am glad that the story about Cane's was posted. I have been telling that FedEx story for years now, and I don't think it is true. I wouldn't have known otherwise.

Hey SD, I heard the story while on business in Lafayette maybe 7? years ago. I believe the guy said he had either known the "Cane" guy or else had some other connection to the chain beforehand .... but like you said, "Davy Crockett" stories take on a life of their own.

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

I believe I heard it in a business class at Tech. I know I heard it while I was Tech.

+ Reply to Thread