+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DC Lawyer

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

DC Lawyer

Need some help from my Tech Family...

I'm trying to find a decent DC lawyer to help my Mom with my dead-beat father. Anyone know of one?

It's a "simple task" (I know nothing's really simple when it comes to law) of filing a court order from Texas in DC and then either putting a lien on his property or garnishment on his wages.

We thought we had him in Kansas/Missouri but turns out he left the company right before the garnishment went through and is now in DC.

The only lawyer she's found want's 30% of the award . Since this is related to a mortgage he promised to pay and my mother is a teacher a percentage of the award isn't really feasible. I'd like to find somebody that can do it for a flat fee.

Shoot me a PM if you don't feel comfortable posting.

Thanks
    Chris Germ-"dawg"-an

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Re: DC Lawyer

Bump, no one at all huh? What about in the Virginia or Maryland that might be able to practice in DC?

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Not trying to ignore you, I just can't help you.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

I know a lawyer in DC, but he is a partner in a firm that does intellectual property rights. He has told me in the past that he purposely stays away from family law like this.

If you want, I can ask him to recommend someone for you.

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    I know a lawyer in DC, but he is a partner in a firm that does intellectual property rights. He has told me in the past that he purposely stays away from family law like this.

If you want, I can ask him to recommend someone for you.

That'd be a big help.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

30% might be a fair fee.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    30% might be a fair fee.

Just can't fathom it, for basically doing paperwork, no court apperance needed unless the judgement isn't accepted.

Also, the fact that the lawyer in Kansas/Missouri did the exact same work for a rate and was only a few hundred vs. a tens of thousands that the 30% would work out to be doesn't make sense.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

what is he doing for a job in the D.C. area? Does he own any property? The garnishment laws vary depending on the state also, I wouldn't even begin to know if the district has it's on law for that situation, I would assume it does. If he isn't actually living in the district then it would fall under Maryland or Virginia law.

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    what is he doing for a job in the D.C. area? Does he own any property? The garnishment laws vary depending on the state also, I wouldn't even begin to know if the district has it's on law for that situation, I would assume it does. If he isn't actually living in the district then it would fall under Maryland or Virginia law.

Although he is not very computer savy, don't want to put to much out their about him. His employer's main office is in Washington DC, more than likely his home is in Viginia or Maryland. (if he owns a home, unfortunately probably renting to avoid any liens).

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

I sent my friend an email, and got an "out of office" response. He is pretty good about returning my emails and calls, but the response said he would have limited email capability unti November 1. Maybe he's on vacation, but I will let you know as soon as I hear something.

Germ,

My buddy wrote me back and said he needs to know if this is in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC. I assume that has something to do with what DallasDog said about the laws being a little different in each place.

It would be Washington DC we're looking to do a garnishment and his employer is in DC.

Champ roughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to behold roughedge's Avatar

Maybe call a church in DC and see if they can put you in touch with a member that won't rip you off.

+ Reply to Thread