+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Inkling Of Trouble

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Re: First Inkling Of Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    We need term limits - not career politicians on Captial Hill.
    They couldn't be career politicians if we wouldn't reelect them; but since that is the natural tendency, I agree with you. If we can limit the term of the most powerful elective office (the Presidency), we can certainly limit the term of lower elective office.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    I would like to hear the long version, because I whole-heartedly disagree. Not every one that goes into politics is in it for themselves, or even to be elected. I will admit I have a bias for this since politics is the career I'm going in An I do not fit your shortened profiles.

Well, we could use some level more headed people. You thinking about running for a local, state, national slot, or working in another capacity?

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by hoppinmad View Post
    Well, we could use some level more headed people. You thinking about running for a local, state, national slot, or working in another capacity?
    If we had MORE HEADED people would we have better solutions??!!!

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hoppinmad View Post
    First, looking to work for Department of State for a while. From there, who knows. Probably never office, though, mainly because I'm sure I would suck at campaigning and raising funds, no matter the message or anything else. Could be a Rahm type of person, minus the elitist stupidity. But there's a lot of time between now and when that would happen. Several things to get done first.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForResults View Post
    They couldn't be career politicians if we wouldn't reelect them...

Correct! We already have term limits, but choose not to use it.

I doubt that we ever get an amendment to vote on though. No way the haves are going to voluntarily limit their power. Kind of like the BCS come to think of it.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Democracies are not suitable for governments with the power that our federal government yields. If the federal government was limited to a few things like providing a common defense against foreign and domestic enemies, assuring that contracts between people of different states were enforceable, and other very significant, but small number of things, then the citizens would be able to make intelligent votes. As it is, the federal government is so large that it really is not feasible to expect voters to be informed on much of what goes on in our massive federal government, The ruling class in the United States knows that, and they want us dependent on them to run things. With the federal government sticking their fingers into so much of our lives, term limits don't make as much sense as they would if the government were doing only what it really needs to be doing.

In the Athenian democracy, every male natural born citizen had the right to vote on everything. It was not a republic. They voted on everything. The Counsel of 500 basically ran the country. The membership was only for one year, and one man could not serve more than twice. However, the Athenian polis was small and its functions were easy to understand.

We don't have that in the United States. We have a very complex, overbearing government. Even learning the very complex procedures of the House and Senate is a daunting task.

Yes, I am for term limits. However, i think we first need to chop the federal government off at the knees.
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    If the federal government was limited to a few things like providing a common defense against foreign and domestic enemies, assuring that contracts between people of different states were enforceable, and other very significant, but small number of things, then the citizens would be able to make intelligent votes.

You mean things that should be enumerated in something like a Constitution? :icon_wink:

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are far too generous in your assessment of candidates. Most enter politics with the idea that it will be a career. And the system doesn't corrupt principled people, unprincipled people corrupt the system.
    I may very well be. I just think a lot of the people in politics go in thinking they can do something good. I know some people who want to have political careers and I think they have good intentions.

Once people get into office it becomes all about reelection.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    I may very well be. I just think a lot of the people in politics go in thinking they can do something good. I know some people who want to have political careers and I think they have good intentions.

Once people get into office it becomes all about reelection.
    Hence another reason I'm reserved to try and run for any office. I hate elections and pay almost no attention to them beyond a few customary things.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

If we had MORE HEADED people would we have better solutions??!!!

Whups ..... sorry. Typically happens when I edit then not proof read or re-read.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    I would like to hear the long version, because I whole-heartedly disagree. Not every one that goes into politics is in it for themselves, or even to be elected. I will admit I have a bias for this since politics is the career I'm going in An I do not fit your shortened profiles.

Randy Ewing is one I can think of who always seemed to have his hometown folks interest at heart. Would have been a great governor or great congressman on the national level.

+ Reply to Thread