+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: And It Just Keeps Getting Better

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: And It Just Keeps Getting Better

Quote Originally Posted by mildawg View Post
    No, I asked salty to provide the example. You sure jumped on it quickly for a "conservative." The problem with Olbermann vs. Hannity is the fact that Hannity is a commentator ve. Olbermann, who is supposed to be a journalist. Therin lies the problem, and the reason he was suspended.
    The reason Olbermann was suspended was because he was in violation of MSNBC's policy of prohibiting donations to political candidates which is a policy that Fox News does not have. I do not agree with said policy. Journalists should be free to contribute money to political parties and candidates per the Freedom of Association Clause of the First Amendment of the Constitution. I just wish they would be honest and transparent about their ties to political candidates.

Why do you make a distinction between the "journalist" Keith Olbermann and the commentator Sean Hannity?

I don't agree with your argument that Keith Olbermann is supposed a journalist, but Hannity is just a commentator. Why should Olbermann be held to a higher standard than Hannity when they both do almost the same thing every night on their programs? They both do investigative work on the dealings of the political party and candidates they oppose. They both use their programs on news networks as hour-long in-kind contributions to the political parties they support. They give their favorite candidates platforms to the nation at no charge.

Now granted, Sean Hannity and Fox News does not engage in the smear tactics, falsehoods, and character assassinations that Olbermann and everyone else at MSNBC does every night. However, Olbermann & Hannity both do journalistic work for their news organizations, and they provide commentary on the news of the day. Olbermann and Hannity are both commentators.

Champ mildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond repute mildawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlum05 View Post
    The reason Olbermann was suspended was because he was in violation of MSNBC's policy of prohibiting donations to political candidates which is a policy that Fox News does not have. I do not agree with said policy. Journalists should be free to contribute money to political parties and candidates per the Freedom of Association Clause of the First Amendment of the Constitution. I just wish they would be honest and transparent about their ties to political candidates.

Why do you make a distinction between the "journalist" Keith Olbermann and the commentator Sean Hannity?

I don't agree with your argument that Keith Olbermann is supposed a journalist, but Hannity is just a commentator. Why should Olbermann be held to a higher standard than Hannity when they both do almost the same thing every night on their programs? They both do investigative work on the dealings of the political party and candidates they oppose. They both use their programs on news networks as hour-long in-kind contributions to the political parties they support. They give their favorite candidates platforms to the nation at no charge.

Now granted, Sean Hannity and Fox News does not engage in the smear tactics, falsehoods, and character assassinations that Olbermann and everyone else at MSNBC does every night. However, Olbermann & Hannity both do journalistic work for their news organizations, and they provide commentary on the news of the day. Olbermann and Hannity are both commentators.
    MSNBC itself came out and said he was suspended because his donations were seen as a conflict of interest. Like it or not, he is not supposed to be a partisan commentator. We both know that he is, but according to the bosses at NBC he is supposed to stay out of the political fray. That is the difference. If someone Fox employed to be a journalist like Bret Baier or Shep Smith made contributions, it would likely cause a problem because Fox views them as non-partisan journalists. I have no idea what Fox's policy is toward contributions because I don't work for Fox and have never reviewed one of their contracts; however, you're on here making an argument about Hannity, Beck, and O'Reilly, each of whom are conservative talk radio hosts. That's what Fox pays them to do, so of course their contributions to political candidates are to be expected. Hell, Hannity uses his Fox show to give a platform to conservative politicians. That's what the commentators at Fox do and there is a distinction between them and Olbermann -- Olbermann was obligated by his contract not to contribute and he did anyway.

And again to my original point -- the people at Fox viewed as "journalists," which would essentially be everyone on before 8:00 PM Eastern (besides Beck), apparently have not made the same mistake as Olbermann. And even further to my point is, what does Fox News and its employees have to do with Olbermann's suspension? Answer: nothing. Just another pathetic response from the asshole salty when something negative happens to a liberal. Instead of discussing Olbermann's guilt or mistake, he brings up Fox News; instead of discussing Obama's failures, he brings up Bush. And like I originally stated -- none of the Fox guys have done what Olbermann did because they haven't been suspended, and more importantly it doesn't really matter or have any bearing on the subject of Olbermann.
    Last edited by mildawg; 11-07-2010 at 07:54 AM.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

MSNBC itself came out and said he was suspended because his donations were seen as a conflict of interest. Like it or not, he is not supposed to be a partisan commentator. We both know that he is, but according to the bosses at NBC he is supposed to stay out of the political fray. That is the difference. If someone Fox employed to be a journalist like Bret Baier or Shep Smith made contributions, it would likely cause a problem because Fox views them as non-partisan journalists. I have no idea what Fox's policy is toward contributions because I don't work for Fox and have never reviewed one of their contracts; however, you're on here making an argument about Hannity, Beck, and O'Reilly, each of whom are conservative talk radio hosts. That's what Fox pays them to do, so of course their contributions to political candidates are to be expected. Hell, Hannity uses his Fox show to give a platform to conservative politicians. That's what the commentators at Fox do and there is a distinction between them and Olbermann -- Olbermann was obligated by his contract not to contribute and he did anyway.

And again to my original point -- the people at Fox viewed as "journalists," which would essentially be everyone on before 8:00 PM Eastern (besides Beck), apparently have not made the same mistake as Olbermann. And even further to my point is, what does Fox News and its employees have to do with Olbermann's suspension? Answer: nothing. Just another pathetic response from the asshole salty when something negative happens to a liberal. Instead of discussing Olbermann's guilt or mistake, he brings up Fox News; instead of discussing Obama's failures, he brings up Bush. And like I originally stated -- none of the Fox guys have done what Olbermann did because they haven't been suspended, and more importantly it doesn't really matter or have any bearing on the subject of Olbermann.
    Olbermann violated MSNBC's policy prohibiting political contributions to candidates for office, and the network executives exercised their right to punish Olbermann accordingly. I'm fine with the punishment. I don't agree with the policy, but he still has to follow said policy. With all the assistance he's provided for Democrats and all the stupid asinine stunts he's pulled on his show in recent years, I can't believe he was suspended indefinitely for this.

Champ mildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond repute mildawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlum05 View Post
    Olbermann violated MSNBC's policy prohibiting political contributions to candidates for office, and the network executives exercised their right to punish Olbermann accordingly. I'm fine with the punishment. I don't agree with the policy, but he still has to follow said policy. With all the assistance he's provided for Democrats and all the stupid asinine stunts he's pulled on his show in recent years, I can't believe he was suspended indefinitely for this.
    I agree. I'm glad he was, though. Of course, they'll find a new hack to fill his spot in the meantime. Maybe salty should interview for the position.

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

I agree. I'm glad he was, though. Of course, they'll find a new hack to fill his spot in the meantime. Maybe salty should interview for the position.
    Not interested because I wouldn't be able to contribute to my favorite Libertarian candidate or have time to post here.

"All roads lead to Putin" -- Thomas Jefferson

Sure, salty. Whatever.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

I'd really hate to see what liberals and conservatives look like if you consider Pelosi and Obama to be libertarians salty.

Guest Lilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeLilfido Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot...nbc-on-tuesday

Yeah, thumbs up. Just means MSNBC will continue to run dead last in the rankings.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

This policy is ridiculous. It is supposed to hold these journalists to some unbiased standard, yet all you have to do is listen to Olbermann and realize that he is extremely liberal. So, what is the point of the policy???? If MSNBC truly wanted their journalists to be unbiased, they could do a few things: 1) hire folks who are middle of the road politically and/or 2) hire people to just report facts and not add as much of their own commentary. This policy smacks of the ridiculous grandstanding that is so common in politics today.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

The policy is what prevented him from being fired. I fully believe Olbermann had a lawsuit ready and showed it to MSNBC execs. I don't believe MSNBC would have a leg to stand on, so they caved. It was stupid to even suspend him, mainly ecause he didn't do anything wrong.

Agreed. He is what he is; let him continue. No one is watching anyway.

So I guess "indefinite suspension" means 4 days off work nowadays.

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    I'd really hate to see what liberals and conservatives look like if you consider Pelosi and Obama to be libertarians salty.
    Obama and Pelosi are demos and I have never contributed to them.

"All roads lead to Putin" -- Thomas Jefferson

+ Reply to Thread