+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Dead Pelican - LA news

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

The Dead Pelican - LA news

The format makes it seem like they are affiliated with the Drudge Report, or at least emulating it.

http://www.thedeadpelican.com/

Pretty cool LA news site.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Re: The Dead Pelican - LA news

God I hate the layout that Drudge uses.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    The format makes it seem like they are affiliated with the Drudge Report, or at least emulating it.

The Dead Pelican is in my list of sites I read each day. Yes, he copies the Drudge format. He does make a lot of typos and has some duplicate links. However, he updates his site much more often than does Drudge.

He isn't a big fan of Jindal.
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post

I want to say the site was founded by a Tech grad who loved every morning to skim the morning headlines around the state. John something. A victim of cancer.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    I want to say the site was founded by a Tech grad who loved every morning to skim the morning headlines around the state. John something. A victim of cancer.
    Registrant:
    The Dead Pelican
    31081 Dunn Road
    Denham Springs, LA 70726
    US

Domain name: THEDEADPELICAN.COM

Administrative Contact:
    Rogers, Chad
    31081 Dunn Road
    Denham Springs, LA 70726
    US
    225-664-5416
    Technical Contact:
    Rogers, Chad
    31081 Dunn Road
    Denham Springs, LA 70726
    US
    225-664-5416

Registrar of Record: In2net Network Inc.
    Record last updated on 20-Apr-2010.
    Record expires on 27-Sep-2015.
    Record created on 27-Sep-2004.

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS1.GWTG.COM 69.2.42.135
    NS1.GEAUX.NET 66.199.8.114

Domain status: clientDeleteProhibited
    clientTransferProhibited
    clientUpdateProhibited

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    Registrant:
    The Dead Pelican
    31081 Dunn Road
    Denham Springs, LA 70726
    US

Domain name: THEDEADPELICAN.COM

Administrative Contact:
    Rogers, Chad
    31081 Dunn Road
    Denham Springs, LA 70726
    US
    225-664-5416
    Technical Contact:
    Rogers, Chad
    31081 Dunn Road
    Denham Springs, LA 70726
    US
    225-664-5416

Registrar of Record: In2net Network Inc.
    Record last updated on 20-Apr-2010.
    Record expires on 27-Sep-2015.
    Record created on 27-Sep-2004.

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS1.GWTG.COM 69.2.42.135
    NS1.GEAUX.NET 66.199.8.114

Domain status: clientDeleteProhibited
    clientTransferProhibited
    clientUpdateProhibited
    Dang, remind me not to make you mad.....again.....

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

That site was The Deduct Box and it was John Copes' site.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    Tech Grad and "Deduct Box.com" Founder Dies

Previous post by Hogdawg:

John "JC" Copes was a Louisiana Tech grad and a KA fraternity brother of mine when we were in Ruston back in the late 1970's. A former writer for the Shreveport Journal, he was the original founder of the "Deductbox.com" web site, which became VERY popular in Louisiana politics back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Copes' web site was thought to be one of the Internet world's first "political blogs", and was named after Huey Long's old "deduct box". For those of you who aren't familiar with Long's "deduct box", it was a tool Long used in the old days to force Louisiana's government employees to automatically donate their money to their favorite candidate: Long himself.

Anyway, JC Copes was one of the most interesting and fun guys I've ever been around in my life. He leaves behind a beautiful wife and a young son, Jack. He will be missed by all of us who knew him. (see story below).

HD

La. political observer John Copes dies
    By WILL SENTELL
    Advocate Capitol News Bureau
    Published: Oct 20, 2006
    John Copes, whose irreverent Web site was one of the first to draw a huge following among state political junkies, died Thursday, several of his friends said.
    Copes was the creator of The Deduct Box, an online link to state government and political news that also featured commentary by Copes.
    The site, which began in 1999 when he sent a test version to three friends, later attracted about 10,000 hits per day among lobbyists, politicians, reporters and others.
    Copes, who was about 50 and lived with his wife and young son in Mandeville, died Thursday morning in Destin, Fla., friends said.
    A memorial service is tentatively scheduled for next week, but no details were available.
    The Web site featured a daily digest of stories from newspaper and TV Web sites as well as barbs from Copes on people and issues in the news.
    He referred to former Gov. Mike Foster as “Warbucks,” a reference to the rich, bald Daddy Warbucks of “Little Orphan Annie” comics fame.
    He described legislative reluctance to go along with Foster’s special session agenda as “back sass from field hands.”
    Jim Nickel, a former state Democratic Party chairman who knew Copes for more than 20 years, said he was the first in the state to tap into the online hunger for savvy political insight.
    “There have been a lot of bloggers out there who have tried to emulate him, but he was the first and he was still the best,” said Nickel, a Baton Rouge attorney and lobbyist. “He was just a good reader of people and politics.”
    Bob Mann, a former aide to Gov. Kathleen Blanco and former U.S. Sen. John Breaux, got to know Copes in the early 1980s when both were reporters at the Shreveport Journal. Mann was one of the three Copes’ friends who received the earliest version of The Deduct Box before it took off.
    “I thought it was a breath of fresh air,” said Mann, a professor of mass communication at LSU.
    “It was this Web site that really brought all the Louisiana political news together in one place,” he said. “He also had that kind of commentary and media criticism that you just don’t see, and it was very sophisticated,” Mann said.
    “It had an edge to it,” he added. “He was funny but not in a sophomoric kind of way. I haven’t seen anything even close to it since he quit.”
    Copes said in a 2000 interview with The Advocate that his Web site began on a whim.
    “I found it frustrating that I was limited in my view of events in Louisiana to strictly what I was reading in my local newspaper,” he said then. “It would be interesting to me to be able to see a snapshot &hellip of what is going on in the state.”
    Copes, who grew up in Baton Rouge, was a reporter for the Shreveport Journal from 1982 until shortly before its closing in 1990, including time in the newspaper’s Washington bureau.
    Jim Oakes, who knew Copes as a fellow student at Louisiana Tech University in the late 1970s, also worked with him in Washington, D.C., when Oakes was chief of staff for former U.S. Sen. J. Bennett Johnston.
    “He was one of the first to really use the Internet to distribute political news in an effective way,” Oakes said.
    Oakes, who is athletic director at Louisiana Tech, said he and other friends of Copes admired the courage he showed in his battle with cancer.
    “His toughness in fighting this thing for seven years has just been incredible,” Oakes said.

The Deduct Box site now links directly to The Reduct Box. Here is the description of what that site is:

About
    In 1999, veteran political journalist John Copes started a website that reporters, pundits and readers would soon come to know well – deductbox.com. Political websites and blogs are common today, but almost ten years ago Copes had begun something no one else in Louisiana had done: a brilliantly written, delightfully irreverent and immensely informative compilation of the trials, tribulations and foibles of politicians and politics in Louisiana.

Copes was fair but pulled no punches, equally skewering politicians of all stripes and ideologies. Journalists, readers and even politicians themselves came to rely on Copes’ unique coverage of all things political in our state. The site, named after the mythical “deduct box” in which Governor Huey Long allegedly stashed his fortune in kickbacks from state employees, soon had thousands of hits each day, not just from Louisiana readers but from all over the country.

Sadly, Copes was diagnosed with colorectal cancer in 2000, and passed away in 2006. It is in his honor and the spirit of his webpage, deductbox.com, that we introduce the reduct box. We will report on politics in the tradition of the Deductbox and Copes’ excellent reporting. The reduct box will be updated three times a day, and will keep readers informed on the ins and outs of Louisiana politics. We will work to make this website a clearinghouse for Louisiana politics – and try to have a little fun, as well.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Thanks, Cartek. I stand corrected.
    Thought of Copes's last name during lunch hour.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Thanks, Cartek. I stand corrected.
    Thought of Copes's last name during lunch hour.
    I'm glad you made the mistake. I might never have heard of Copes. That would have been a shame.

+ Reply to Thread