+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Memorial Gym game?

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Re: A Memorial Gym game?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgonit View Post
    I was wondering what everyone's thoughts would be if every year the Men's and Women's basketball teams scheduled a double header in Memorial Gym.
    Can Mike Green come back and play?

Puppy footballfan2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timefootballfan2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timefootballfan2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timefootballfan2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timefootballfan2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timefootballfan2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timefootballfan2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timefootballfan2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    This is a good idea. That gym is still in good shape. Actually, probably in better shape than say, Cameron Indoor. I have seen some games there from when I was in high school. Fun compact atmosphere.

Better than Cameron Indoor?? You have got to be kidding me.

Champ roughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to behold roughedge's Avatar

I asked 'Spoon about this during the online chat she had a couple of months ago. She said she was open to the idea even though she never played in Memorial Gym. Probably a logistical nightmare technology-wise with the live stats, radio feed, etc. but a packed house could pay for any improvements necessary to make it happen.

In that same chat, she did not rule out a return to the sleeves.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
    but a packed house could pay for any improvements necessary to make it happen.
    Installing wireless for the livestats and radio hookups are minimal costs.

Is there still a scoreboard in there? Do they still have the 35-sec/45-sec clocks (that never worked in the last days.)
    I would hope a packed house would help pay some bills around here.

IMHO they missed their chance when they didn't have the Extravaganza there . . . . The crowd that attended would have "packed" MG . . grand capacity of way less than 3,500.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

This was something that I suggested and discussed many years ago while I was still at LaTech and working in the AthDept as a student worker. I don't remember the specific details, but there are ADA issues and other issues related to the physical set up of the facility.

If it were me, I would play all our MBB games there, but it would take millions to retro-fit the facitlity.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

The ADA thing...we are lucky we don't have to board it up.

Varsity Bulldog DustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by dadawgula View Post
    The best floor I ever played on bar none!!!!
    The floor is made of solid pecan. It is quite special. It could not even be replaced today...

Yes, we needed to move to the STAC, but we lost a lot in atmosphere when we did. There is nothing like the days when Memorial was packed to the rafters. The fans were practically IN the game...

Varsity Bulldog Bulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by DustyDog View Post
    The floor is made of solid pecan. It is quite special. It could not even be replaced today...

Yes, we needed to move to the STAC, but we lost a lot in atmosphere when we did. There is nothing like the days when Memorial was packed to the rafters. The fans were practically IN the game...
    I had a blast going to the games there as a student! I hardly ever missed a game & usually got there early enough to sit on the lowest level seats right next to the court--you could take a couple of steps & be on the court. I was told to sit down by the refs on more than one occasion & got lots of stare-downs (luckily I never got thrown out).

Obviously the TAC is a nicer facility, but you couldn't beat the atmosphere at Memorial Gym.

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg81 View Post
    I had a blast going to the games there as a student! I hardly ever missed a game & usually got there early enough to sit on the lowest level seats right next to the court--you could take a couple of steps & be on the court. I was told to sit down by the refs on more than one occasion & got lots of stare-downs (luckily I never got thrown out).

Obviously the TAC is a nicer facility, but you couldn't beat the atmosphere at Memorial Gym.
    It would be a great happening to have an event in Memorial.

At least one other university keeps its heritage. North Carolina State women opened their season this past weekend with two games in their old historic Reynolds Coliseum where Jimmy Valvano coached, and the guys had an exhibition there. Ought to be something Tech could do have a game there.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Anyone got pics of the inside of Memorial Gym?

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

I remember one rainy day I went over to Memorial to shoot a few hoops one afternoon, and Bradshaw and Tommy Spinks were playing pitch and catch. Bradshaw was hurling the football right over our heads just to get a rise out of us. I can attest that a Bradshaw fastball is a scary thing!

Big Dog kdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of light

Why not? A.E. Philips makes it happen every week.

Champ kw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by kdk008 View Post
    Why not? A.E. Philips makes it happen every week.
    When I was in junior high at Cedar Creek we played in the Lincoln Parish Tournament there every year.. Beating A. E. Philips and then losing to Elijah Milsap and the Grambling kittens.

I think it would be fun to go to a Tech game in that gym..should be easy to have a loud and exciting environment.

LaTech Occupy Gameday Czar! techfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to beholdtechfan01 is a splendid one to behold

No shot clocks, or lights on the goals. They would have to get those for replay purposes right? I used to play on it also when I was in junior high and I loved playing on that court.

Champ SixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of lightSixWings is a glorious beacon of light

I was under the impression that the floor was very tore up from weightlifting meets. It would probably be like going from playing football on turf to a poorly-kept grass field.

+ Reply to Thread