+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 11/19 UALR game

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: 11/19 UALR game

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    Surprisingly, I will agree that the season cannot nor should not be judged on the loss to UALR. While a tough one to swallow, it isn't necessarily a preview of what lies ahead.

That said, I will say that in my opinion, UALR is not a very good team...at least not on the level of what is defined as "good" in college women's bball today. The Techsters didn't lose to a good team. They played poorly, undisciplined, and lacked the killer instinct. That has been a problem for a few years now. It changed at the end of last season, so I feel fairly confident that the Techsters will come together and be stronger by the end of the season.

Any talk of the Techsters returning to the top 25 is, again in my opinion, way off the mark. This program has done nothing to demonstrate it belongs in the top 25. While the recruits appear talented (at least on paper), the program isn't recruiting top 100 players...yet. More losses like the UALR loss will keep the program from attracting the top talent.

All of that aside, the UALR loss, while not a good sign, isn't the end of the season by any stretch. The Techsters will have their hands full with Fresno this year. Winning the WAC again and winning the conference tourney isn't a given. Top 25 attention would be great, but don't hold your breath for that. The program is outside the margins of the elite. The "rebuilding" phase that has been going on for four years now is wearing out its welcome. The reality of the situation is, again only in my opinion, that Tech is on the outside looking in, and until the program scores a win against any ranked or even near-ranked team, it will continue to hide in the shadows of other programs. Losses to other "mid-major" programs who are not that good only fuel the fire that the Techster glory is something of the past, like ODU.

A great showing over the next few weeks and a win against LSU would garner attention for the program. I'm withholding judgment on the talent issue. Not convinced yet that this is an incredibly talented team. The results will determine that.
    WKU and UALR were receiving votes. I agree that top 25 is not reasonable right now. I do think that we will break into it, if we are able to re-group and win some of these upcoming games. The next 2 week span will tell.

Fresno lost to someone like Cal-Poly in a not-so-close game. That hurts our conference rpi, so we are going to have to step it up. I think we will - just my opinion.

Champ BuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant future BuzDawg73's Avatar

We need to do whatever needed to get to the tourney this year. I can't deal with the thought of being a host and not playing. We need good OOC wins.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Reminder of what Spoon and Spoon led teams are like:

Fresno beat us in the first game last year.
    We beat them in the next two.

We can't have this game back, but as the year progressed last year, we got better and better. We have a leader that doesn't accept defeat and does something about it. It makes us stronger. Don't ever go off one game. I wanted this game badly, because I think it would have started getting some top 25 votes next week, but it is not the end of the world and will just make us stronger. We are 2-1 and will be ready to roll again come next week!!!!!

Add to that the inexperienced but EXTREMELY talented bench and you have a recipe for success.
    The only problem is we are loaded with Jucos this year so the inexperienced arguement doesn't hold weight.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    The only problem is we are loaded with Jucos this year so the inexperienced arguement doesn't hold weight.
    Most JUCO's take a little while to get used to D1 ball. Give em till mid year and let's see how much they can contribute.

Champ BuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant future BuzDawg73's Avatar

I think Bramble-D and Felton are good additions, but I think not having Shannon Smith this year is going to hurt us.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzDawg73 View Post
    I think Bramble-D and Felton are good additions, but I think not having Shannon Smith this year is going to hurt us.
    I agree........ I am hoping Bramble-Donaldson continues to improve to fill a void. I, also, hope that Anderson can develop and contribute.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    WKU and UALR were receiving votes. I agree that top 25 is not reasonable right now. I do think that we will break into it, if we are able to re-group and win some of these upcoming games. The next 2 week span will tell.

Fresno lost to someone like Cal-Poly in a not-so-close game. That hurts our conference rpi, so we are going to have to step it up. I think we will - just my opinion.
    "receiving votes" does not necessarily translate to a good team. the "receiving votes" was based mostly on last season's performances. regardless, the techsters didn't play inspired ball and lost to a sub-par team. it's irrelevant now, as they must move forward and gain wins over reputable programs if they are to be taken seriously outside of the wac.

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    "receiving votes" does not necessarily translate to a good team. the "receiving votes" was based mostly on last season's performances. regardless, the techsters didn't play inspired ball and lost to a sub-par team. it's irrelevant now, as they must move forward and gain wins over reputable programs if they are to be taken seriously outside of the wac.
    I agree with everything you state. I just don't think UALR is a sub-par team at their place. I think they had a really really bad game right before us, but they are a good team - granted, a team we should have beat.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Gonna be a long, mediocre season.

I hope we win 20 and do some kind of post-season thingy. But, we'll need some breaks for that to happen. Last year Dowdell carried this bunch to a decent season. She's gone...

The guards sucked last year, more of the same.
    Like I said...

+ Reply to Thread