+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Videophiles: Blu-Ray player recommendation?

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Videophiles: Blu-Ray player recommendation?

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody.

I *finally* pulled the trigger on an HDTV, and while I only own one blu-ray disk, the lack of upscaling capabilities for my DVDs is making me eager to get a blu-ray player. I've been pouring through AVS, C-Net, NewEgg, etc., and am kind of overloaded. Hoping someone on here can help me narrow my search.

Here are my requirements:
    -1080p (have a 50" plasma)
    -Play blu-ray well (been reading reviews that suggest some players won't play some newer disks)
    -Upconvert DVDs well
    -Digital audio out (either optical or coax will be fine)
    -Reasonable load time

Obviously, I just need a simple player. While streaming Netflix would be cute, I'm planning to have a PC connected to the TV, so that is not necessary. Absolutely don't care about Wi-Fi or 3D. Don't need it to read HD-DVDs or other dead HD formats.

If there were reliable, free software for playing BD from a PC-mounted player, that would be my first choice. But it doesn't seem that should be an option.

But for my requirements, I feel like it should be pretty reasonable to get a player that plays blu-ray well and upconverts DVDs well for less than $100, especially factoring out Wi-Fi and 3D. But I'm worried that if I buy a cheap player I won't get good load time and upconversion. Also, most of the reviews focus on features I don't care about, like streaming and 3D.

Anyway, any help folks can give is certainly welcome.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Re: Videophiles: Blu-Ray player recommendation?

i can tell you which one NOT to buy: samsung ht-bd1250.

it fails on 4 out of 5 of your criteria. i can't believe a reputable company can maintain its reputation after putting out a piece of crap like that.

i bought it for the netflix capability, but i should have just bought a cheap netflix converter.

Champ Salvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant futureSalvatore Assante has a brilliant future Salvatore Assante's Avatar

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Thanks, guys.

Thinking about buying a Panasonic DMP-BD65 or DMP-BD655. Can't figure out what the difference is supposed to be. Feature descriptions on Panasonic's site are identical, but the 655 is cheaper.

Anyway, anybody have any experience with either of these?

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

I got a Blue-ray player on the last lap top I purchased with an HDMI output to the TV. I have only used it twice and it works very well. I'm not sure it Up-converts to 1080p but normal DVDs work fine with it and look good. I'm sure you could get a drive for your computer if you wanted to go that route. I would however stick to a good Blue-ray player. The Panasonic DVD player/recorder I got a few years ago up-converts to regular DVDs to 1080p and on most DVDs I can barely tell the difference. The record function however only uses component video from the cable box and thus you don't get the full screen even when the source is HD since the cable box down converts the HD to SD. The picture from the recorded DVDs is very good though. I haven't researched the newer low cost Blue-ray players but may be in the market for one soon. So your thoughts on what you buy and why would be of interest to me.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

This topic came up last year about this time. If you will be gaming at all then consider a Sony PlayStationIII. You can watch BluRay movies via the PS3 and the controllers are wireless with excellent range. Personally, I think a Samsung LED tv with PS3 is an incredible movie viewing experience and it is a value that is nearly impossible to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    I got a Blue-ray player on the last lap top I purchased with an HDMI output to the TV. I have only used it twice and it works very well. I'm not sure it Up-converts to 1080p but normal DVDs work fine with it and look good. I'm sure you could get a drive for your computer if you wanted to go that route. I would however stick to a good Blue-ray player. The Panasonic DVD player/recorder I got a few years ago up-converts to regular DVDs to 1080p and on most DVDs I can barely tell the difference. The record function however only uses component video from the cable box and thus you don't get the full screen even when the source is HD since the cable box down converts the HD to SD. The picture from the recorded DVDs is very good though. I haven't researched the newer low cost Blue-ray players but may be in the market for one soon. So your thoughts on what you buy and why would be of interest to me.
    Thanks for the input.

The reviews on blu-ray players are overwhelming. The biggest problem to doing the PC-mounted thing is that the only software (to date) to simply play them costs a fair amount (and for me, anything over $0.00 gives me pause).

There is a lot of excitement about 3D and integrated WiFi, but my setup is 6 feet from my router, so ethernet is fine. Not gonna worry with 3D (unless I missed something and there is a way to get it on my existing plasma with the right player).

My typical approach to technology is to see what is getting a lot of attention on slickdeals.net. Then I go to CNET, AVSforum, Amazon, NewEgg, and similar sites to read the reviews/dirt.

At this point, the Panasonics look like they will meet my needs.

+ Reply to Thread