+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010-2011 MLB Winter Meetings

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

2010-2011 MLB Winter Meetings

While not as big as the Jayson Werth signing, or the impending contract that Cliff Lee will get, ESPN is reporting that the CUBS have signed Carlos Pena to a one year deal worth $10 million. Could be a good signing, since Pena has some needed power from the left side, as well as gold glove caliber skills at first base, which was the main deficiency since trading away Derek Lee last year. However, Pena will be entering his 10th year in the league and coming off the worst of his previous nine seasons in BA .196 with 158 K's in 484 AB's

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Re: 2010-2011 MLB Winter Meetings

He's going to have a huge year in the NL, imo, and you couldn't ask for a nicer guy on your team. His defensive skills dropped significantly last year, but he was still above average. The Cubs should be happy with this one.

Champ Goose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to behold Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    His defensive skills dropped significantly last year, but he was still above average. The Cubs should be happy with this one.
    Wasn't that due to an injury though? I'm glad we got him and I hope to see Byrd, Ramirez, and Pena hitting in the 3-4-5 spots.

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Wasn't that due to an injury though? I'm glad we got him and I hope to see Byrd, Ramirez, and Pena hitting in the 3-4-5 spots.
    Now if we could just get that leadoff spot filled... come on Carl Crawford.

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    He's going to have a huge year in the NL, imo, and you couldn't ask for a nicer guy on your team. His defensive skills dropped significantly last year, but he was still above average. The Cubs should be happy with this one.
    Yea that is another thing that the CUBS are getting, a great clubhouse pressence.

The Red Sox got Crawford... dang-it

Champ Goose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to behold Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE collar View Post
    Oh well. I figured it would be them or the Yankees. Who else do you think the Cubs should be trying to get? I know they've been talking to the Rangers about getting O'Day and Chris Davis in a trade.

Oh well. I figured it would be them or the Yankees. Who else do you think the Cubs should be trying to get? I know they've been talking to the Rangers about getting O'Day and Chris Davis in a trade.
    We truly need to grab a few pitchers. Still a few names out there other than Lee. Such as Harden, Sheet(I hope we dont get him), and rumors of a possible trade for Amando Gallarago (also hope we dont get him), but we need to shore up the pitching staff. We also need to get a leadoff guy, Tony Guinn Jr. hasnt been signed yet...

Champ KDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really nice

Whoo Hoo. It is what we need (as a Sox's fan)

Champ ddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond repute ddgravy's Avatar

10 mil. a yr. for Carlos Pena after a sub .200 year now that's yankee crazy!

We truly need to grab a few pitchers. Still a few names out there other than Lee. Such as Harden, Sheet(I hope we dont get him), and rumors of a possible trade for Amando Gallarago (also hope we dont get him), but we need to shore up the pitching staff. We also need to get a leadoff guy, Tony Guinn Jr. hasnt been signed yet...
    Here is a pitcher I would be ok with:
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/1...att-garza.html

What do you think the starting lineup looks like?

C - Soto
    1b - Pena
    2b - ??? Baker/Dewitt
    3b - Ramirez
    SS - Castro
    LF - Soriano (unfortunately)
    CF - Byrd (I wish he was the LF)
    RF - ??? Fukudome/Colvin
    P - Zambrano

Here is a pitcher I would be ok with:
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/1...att-garza.html

What do you think the starting lineup looks like?

C - Soto
    1b - Pena
    2b - ??? Baker/Dewitt
    3b - Ramirez
    SS - Castro
    LF - Soriano (unfortunately)
    CF - Byrd (I wish he was the LF)
    RF - ??? Fukudome/Colvin
    P - Zambrano
    I would love to get Garza. He would be a great pickup who would improve on his numbers by a move to the NL. If we sign him and then have Cashner and a solid lefty arm in late innings we could be strong in the pen. The pen just has to mature as a whole, but the talent level is deffinatly there. I also wouldn't mind looking at Carl Pavano. Sure his career numbers are uninspiring, but he has brought his ERA down in each of the last two seasons and is looking more and more like the Pavano of 2004 when he played for the Marlins. He is also an inning eater, averaging 309 innings over the past two seasons and 205 over his time in the league. Add that to the fact that the Brewers want him and I like him even more. That line-up looks pretty good to me. I don't mind Soriano, just wish he would be moved back to second. That would free up both Fukudome and Colvin to play in the outfield and allow for a strong lineup at the plate. However, who really knows if Soriano can still handle playing middle infield?

I would love to get Garza. He would be a great pickup who would improve on his numbers by a move to the NL. If we sign him and then have Cashner and a solid lefty arm in late innings we could be strong in the pen. The pen just has to mature as a whole, but the talent level is deffinatly there. I also wouldn't mind looking at Carl Pavano. Sure his career numbers are uninspiring, but he has brought his ERA down in each of the last two seasons and is looking more and more like the Pavano of 2004 when he played for the Marlins. He is also an inning eater, averaging 309 innings over the past two seasons and 205 over his time in the league. Add that to the fact that the Brewers want him and I like him even more. That line-up looks pretty good to me. I don't mind Soriano, just wish he would be moved back to second. That would free up both Fukudome and Colvin to play in the outfield and allow for a strong lineup at the plate. However, who really knows if Soriano can still handle playing middle infield?
    I agree about Pavano. I have developed a hatred for Soriano! I can't stand the guy...but it seems like when I say something bad about him during a game, he hits a 420 ft homer. Dude can't play LF to save his life though. I wish he would request a trade or retire so we could pick up another OF or play Colvin everyday.

I agree about Pavano. I have developed a hatred for Soriano! I can't stand the guy...but it seems like when I say something bad about him during a game, he hits a 420 ft homer. Dude can't play LF to save his life though. I wish he would request a trade or retire so we could pick up another OF or play Colvin everyday.
    Yeah, I feel he is one of the top 10 most overrated players in the game, but like you said, everytime I say something bad he go on a hot streak, and nobody can deny that when he is hot he is arguably the best in the game. He is also arguably the worst in the game when he is not on a hot streak. I wish there was another palce to put him, but unfortunately there isnt. Thus me saying, I don't mind him. A trade for a big name would be great, but his defense will hinder getting anything worth a crap for him.

Yeah, I feel he is one of the top 10 most overrated players in the game, but like you said, everytime I say something bad he go on a hot streak, and nobody can deny that when he is hot he is arguably the best in the game. He is also arguably the worst in the game when he is not on a hot streak. I wish there was another palce to put him, but unfortunately there isnt. Thus me saying, I don't mind him. A trade for a big name would be great, but his defense will hinder getting anything worth a crap for him.
    The only places I could see him moving to would be 2nd or DH. I don't know if he would be capable of playing second anymore and I think he would take it as an insult if were traded to an AL team and asked to DH. So I don't see him going anywhere anytime soon. I think he's signed through the year 2147.

+ Reply to Thread