+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Don't drink and drive!

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

Re: Don't drink and drive!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    They have drinking and driving in places that have no blue laws, so I don't think it is relevant.
    I come from New Orleans which has virtually no laws on alcohol sales and I agree with your statement; It's true. But the problem is that the Blue Laws of Ruston are creating more drinking and driving than usual. By requiring bars in Ruston to close at midnight, students are forced to drive outside city limits to drink.

Yes, students could take taxis out to Rabb and 3Docs. Yes students could find designated drivers to get to these places. But the problem is that there's always going to be stupid students out there driving drunk to and from the bars. ALWAYS! No matter how strict the laws get. The easiest solution to this problem is to relax the blue laws to match the surrounding communities' laws. Bars would prosper around campus as students would walk to the bars. Every student I've talked to would rather walk to a bar than drive to one. But how the laws are set up now, the only way to get to bars to drink after midnight is to drive.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    What if you are just out for one beer? Should I grab a cab?

I say "drink responsibly". If you know you're a light weight and can't handle a few, then have a DD.
    VERY slippery slope. At the second beer is when most people start to show measurable decline in judgment.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgonit View Post
    I come from New Orleans which has virtually no laws on alcohol sales and I agree with your statement; It's true. But the problem is that the Blue Laws of Ruston are creating more drinking and driving than usual. By requiring bars in Ruston to close at midnight, students are forced to drive outside city limits to drink.

Yes, students could take taxis out to Rabb and 3Docs. Yes students could find designated drivers to get to these places. But the problem is that there's always going to be stupid students out there driving drunk to and from the bars. ALWAYS! No matter how strict the laws get. The easiest solution to this problem is to relax the blue laws to match the surrounding communities' laws. Bars would prosper around campus as students would walk to the bars. Every student I've talked to would rather walk to a bar than drive to one. But how the laws are set up now, the only way to get to bars to drink after midnight is to drive.
    And students know this before they leave the house. And since parking is usually tight at those places, people are usually carpooling anyway. Not that hard to have a DD.

The problem is not the blue laws. The problem is that college student make poor decisions. You could put the bars right in the middle of campus and still have drunk drivers.

I am a t-totaller, and I think blue laws are stupid. But I also think that citizens have a right to determine by majority vote whether they want to restrict access to things like alcohol in their communities.

(Should have strung all this together into one post. Oh well.)

Developmentally, I don't think it is a good idea for ANYONE to drink until they are 25. For one thing, almost no one who waits that long to drink develops alcoholism. For another, the brain wiring in the judgment and decision-making part of the brain is not fully developed until around 25, so college students are arguably mentally impaired in their ability to exercise sound judgment. Throwing alcohol into that mix seems stupid at an astronomical level.

But, if college students believe they should be allowed to drink, then they need to put on their big girl panties and stay the hell away from the driver's seat of an automobile if they are going to drink. That decision needs to be made well before they leave their residence to head to the place where the booze is. Alcohol is consumed recreationally because it inhibits the brain. If you are going to put that kind of toxin into your body, you need to take precautions.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

(Should have strung all this together into one post. Oh well.)

Developmentally, I don't think it is a good idea for ANYONE to drink until they are 25. For one thing, almost no one who waits that long to drink develops alcoholism. For another, the brain wiring in the judgment and decision-making part of the brain is not fully developed until around 25, so college students are arguably mentally impaired in their ability to exercise sound judgment. Throwing alcohol into that mix seems stupid at an astronomical level.
    A logical case could be made for reverse causation (people prone to addiction are more likely to drink before 25) or just plain correlation instead of drinking before 25 causing alcoholism.

But, if college students believe they should be allowed to drink, then they need to put on their big girl panties and stay the hell away from the driver's seat of an automobile if they are going to drink. That decision needs to be made well before they leave their residence to head to the place where the booze is. Alcohol is consumed recreationally because it inhibits the brain. If you are going to put that kind of toxin into your body, you need to take precautions.
    Yes, but (1) it is not always as easy to find a reliable designated driver as you propose, and (2) even though what you say here is completely reasonable, it is a bit pie-in-the-sky because empirically these people still drink and drive even though they know all this stuff. Not to diminish the personal responsibility aspect of all of this, but Ruston's blue laws contribute to drunk driving mileage.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    A logical case could be made for reverse causation (people prone to addiction are more likely to drink before 25) or just plain correlation instead of drinking before 25 causing alcoholism.

Yes, but (1) it is not always as easy to find a reliable designated driver as you propose, and (2) even though what you say here is completely reasonable, it is a bit pie-in-the-sky because empirically these people still drink and drive even though they know all this stuff. Not to diminish the personal responsibility aspect of all of this, but Ruston's blue laws contribute to drunk driving mileage.
    Da Truf.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

VERY slippery slope. At the second beer is when most people start to show measurable decline in judgment.
    Really? I think when I hit beer two or three is when my mind really opens up, and I start to solve the world's problems...

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgonit View Post
    students are forced to drive outside city limits to drink.
    I don't have terribly strong feelings about the blue laws either way. I kinda see both points.

But if someone is forcing our students to drink that seems like a problem. Especially if they force them to drive first.

Varsity Bulldog TechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the rough

I'm currently in Romania on business, and like much of Europe they actually start drinking at an earlier age (16 I believe, but I may be wrong since I don't have a Romanian sitting next to me to ask), but they are much stricter on drinking and driving. You are allowed to drink nothing alcoholic if you plan on driving, 0.00% BAC, and they have more frequent stops and checkpoints for drunk driving. If they catch you drinking and driving they immediately take away your license (although you could easily bribe the cop, which is an entirely different problem). I have yet to see any Romanian even take a sip of alcohol if they are driving, so I guess it works.

However, Romanians tend to be pretty terrible drivers to begin with and they don't get their licenses until 18. Also, the drunk-driving rule seems to be about the only traffic-related law they have, because they would impound your car and take your license for doing some of the things I've seen over here.

Sorry, I started to ramble a little there.

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post

I totally agree with the last two points, except that I'm arguing that because drinking is SUCH a big deal, these "kids" need to be "adults" and make that arrangement. My concern is that they don't view it as the big deal it is.

As for causation, I agree in principle that it could go either way, and in either event I'd still argue that it's better to wait. But, there actually is evidence that the earlier you take your first drink, the more likely you are to develop dependence. Basically, there is a sort of neurological priming that occurs. When you think about the ridiculous amount of synaptic connections that are being made throughout childhood, aadolescence, and into the early 20s, it is pretty easy to imagine how volatile and malleable the system can be.

Add to it the potential genetic and environmental factors and you are really playing with fire. For me, the risk of ruining my life and the lives of those around me if I were to become dependent on drugs like alcohol is not worth any short term pleasure. Also, it seems to me that most people are pretty flippant about alcohol and the fact that it is a drug and that it does bad things to you (even if it feels good while it is doing it) that I feel compelled to voice a hardline position on it in the hopes that it may help folks to take serious the ubiquitous call to "drink responsibly."

But the rhetoric aside, I think that if you have ANY history of alcoholism in your parents or grandparents, you ABSOLUTELY should stay away from alcohol until you are in your mid-20s. There is such a strong genetic component, and it often skips a generation.

+ Reply to Thread