Ben Ainslie,triple Olympic gold medalist and member of Corum's family since 2008,completed a double by winning the ISAF World Match Racing Championship and the Monsoon Cup.The ninth and last event of the tour in Malaysia promised to be very tough with difficult sailing conditions due to the monsoon.As he had participated in only six out of nine events of the championship,Ben's victory at the helm of TeamOrigin,was most unexpected.In third place overall,and with 17 points for the French team,the race was not yet a foregone conclusion for Ben and his team.

Despite heavy rain and a lack of wind,TeamOrigin won the preliminary rounds,winning the privilege of choosing their opponent for the quarter finals.A strategic choice and a decisive match race to ensure the title of world champion.The English team challenged Mathieu Richard's French team in a duel,thus denying them the coveted title.Then,it was imperative for TeamOrigin to win the semi finals and that Mathieu failed to win his play-off race.The gamble paid off;the French team arrived 8th in the classification and TeamOrigin won against Jesper Radich's Danish team,securing the world champion title!Completing the double,Ben Ainslie and his team also won the final of the Monsoon Cup against worthy opponent Mirsky Racing Team.

The Corum Watch Ambassador Ben Ainslie said:"Becoming the ISAF World Match Racing Champion is one of the best moments in my career.It's very hard to compare with the success in the Olympics,but I think that the interesting thing with personal success and success with a team is that it's actually more rewarding with a team because you have the crew to share it with you. It's a collective effort.We've thoroughly enjoyed being on the Tour.Now we are going our separate ways with Olympic Games and other regattas but we hope one day in the future we will be back racing together,and after a difficult year for TeamOrigin it's a very good way to end things".

Antonio Calce, CEO of Corum, said:"I am really proud of Ben's performances and to count such a talented sailor in Corum's family.To win this championship,Ben has shown exceptional self-confidence.As in watchmaking,match racing is a discipline which requires complete attention and ultra precision in every maneuver.All Corum employees join me to congratulate Ben and his achievements,which symbolize the success of team spirit."

The World Match Racing Tour (WMRT) is a leading event for sailing professionals, and comprised nine events in 2010:

Match Race France, April 6 - 11, 2010
Match Race Germany, May 19 - 24, 2010
Korea Match Cup, June 8 - 13, 2010
Portimao Portugal Match Cup, June 22 - 27, 2010
STENA Match Cup Sweden, July 5 - 11, 2010
St Moritz Match Race, Aug 31 - Sept 5, 2010
Argo Group Gold Cup, Oct 4 - 10, 2010
Monsoon Cup, Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2010

[Story by Swiss Watch ilveinwatch]