+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The 2011 Team

Varsity Bulldog EngDawg is on top of his/her gameEngDawg is on top of his/her gameEngDawg is on top of his/her gameEngDawg is on top of his/her gameEngDawg is on top of his/her gameEngDawg is on top of his/her gameEngDawg is on top of his/her gameEngDawg is on top of his/her gameEngDawg is on top of his/her gameEngDawg is on top of his/her gameEngDawg is on top of his/her game EngDawg's Avatar

The 2011 Team

Does anyone know how good our team is supposed to be this year? We were horrible when I was at Tech, but I have noticed the last couple of years we have fielded a pretty good team.

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

Re: The 2011 Team

It all depends on how our pitching holds up. The team set all types of offensive records last year ('10) and we have a lot of those players coming back. Unfortunately we had a lot of pitchers go down with injuries so toward the end of the season we struggled some. Personally, I feel we'll be pretty good this year. The out-of-conference schedule works in our favor IMO. Who's to say what will happen come conference time. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say we should win 30+ games this year (again if our pitching holds up!). Hurry up February!

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

I always think we are a good bet to win 40 games every year, so what do I know...

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    I always think we are a good bet to win 40 games every year, so what do I know...
    We probably should have won 30+ games last year (Alcorn & UCA are two that quickly come to mind). We definately had the offense to do it but we were lacking in pitching when we needed it (New Mexico :bigcry.

Hopefully the arms will hold together this year and a lot of the offense carries over. If so, I don't see a problem with 30 wins, maybe more!

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

I am interested to see how we replace defensive speed of CF and RF ths season after Stubbs and Dageford senior seasons last year.
    As far as pitching, we learned Fairbanks will need another year of recovery, Jeb Stefan may be ready for short inning stints to start the season and Meyers may be ready for some relief if can get control. I only see Mike Jefferson so far as healthy returnee. May have to put a lot on sophomores Dudley and Peterson getting a lot better and at least one freshman pitcher coming on.
    Pitching health and quality depth are still my main concerns and how we will do, especially since we have to play 4 game conference series versus 3 as other conferences do.

Puppy Woods Dawg seems to have something between the earsWoods Dawg seems to have something between the earsWoods Dawg seems to have something between the earsWoods Dawg seems to have something between the earsWoods Dawg seems to have something between the earsWoods Dawg seems to have something between the ears

I think depth may be one of our strengths this year, at least for position players. Seems we have more this year than in recent years. The only negative is that alot of the depth will be Freshman and Sophmores. I think there will be a lot of different players playing to start the year to see who can help and who can't when we get to conference.

As far as speed in the outfield, Justin Gordey can fill that void in CF if he can hit enough, which he did in the Fall World Series. Looks like Will Alvis may play RF so speed will suffer there; however, there is some speed behind him if he DH's or pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by Designated Hitter View Post
    I am interested to see how we replace defensive speed of CF and RF ths season after Stubbs and Dageford senior seasons last year.
    Losing the speed of Stubbs definately hurts but I didn't see the speed in Dageford. Yes, sometimes he hustled to the ball but other times he would let it fall in front of him. It was like he would use his speed when he felt like it. You need outfielders who go flat out on everyball hit out of the infield. We do have some of those type of outfielders and some do have experience from last year. Personally, I don't see a speed problem in CF or RF but those guys I'm thinking about have got to hit or their playing time will be limited.

My rotation for the outfield (in no order) looks like this; Roliard, Gordy, White, Alvis and possibly Ford. I can see Roliard in left, Gordy (Ford) in center and Alvis in right, with White being able to play any of the three spots as needed or required. Gordy has good speed but I believe White has him beat in top end. Both Gordy and White had good outings in the Fall World Series.

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by LABulldog View Post
    Losing the speed of Stubbs definately hurts but I didn't see the speed in Dageford. Yes, sometimes he hustled to the ball but other times he would let it fall in front of him. It was like he would use his speed when he felt like it. You need outfielders who go flat out on everyball hit out of the infield. We do have some of those type of outfielders and some do have experience from last year. Personally, I don't see a speed problem in CF or RF but those guys I'm thinking about have got to hit or their playing time will be limited.

My rotation for the outfield (in no order) looks like this; Roliard, Gordy, White, Alvis and possibly Ford. I can see Roliard in left, Gordy (Ford) in center and Alvis in right, with White being able to play any of the three spots as needed or required. Gordy has good speed but I believe White has him beat in top end. Both Gordy and White had good outings in the Fall World Series.
    Agree, and meant Stubbs for defensive speed as he ran down a lot of balls most would not get to. Dageford's bat in RF and teams pitching around him was huge.

My main concern will still be pitching as I think it will only be marginally better than last year as thin in top 4 for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Designated Hitter View Post
    My main concern will still be pitching as I think it will only be marginally better than last year as thin in top 4 for a while.
    I whole heartedly agree with you on this.

Varsity Bulldog tangidawg seems to have something between the earstangidawg seems to have something between the earstangidawg seems to have something between the earstangidawg seems to have something between the earstangidawg seems to have something between the earstangidawg seems to have something between the earstangidawg seems to have something between the ears

I am never one to call for a coach to be fired, and it pains me to bring this up. But, if the baseball team doesn't find a way to make a regional, I think coach Sims and Tech should part ways. He has been here what? 7 years and it seams that we always hover around 20 wins and make a quick exit for the the WAC tournament.

Now, don't get me wrong. He has done alot for the program with raising money and what not. But you got to improve at some point.

Does anybody know how long until his contact runs out?

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tangidawg View Post
    I am never one to call for a coach to be fired, and it pains me to bring this up. But, if the baseball team doesn't find a way to make a regional, I think coach Sims and Tech should part ways. He has been here what? 7 years and it seams that we always hover around 20 wins and make a quick exit for the the WAC tournament.

Now, don't get me wrong. He has done alot for the program with raising money and what not. But you got to improve at some point.

This is the last year of his contract. And in my opinion if they don't give him an extension, they're crazy. He'll be hired by university that gives a sh*t about baseball and be very successful. I know BVD wants him to stay though. You know why? Because he told Wade that if he left, Tech would have to pay someone else more money to come here. Yes, our very own AD said that.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    This is the last year of his contract. And in my opinion if they don't give him an extension, they're crazy. He'll be hired by university that gives a sh*t about baseball and be very successful. I know BVD wants him to stay though. You know why? Because he told Wade that if he left, Tech would have to pay someone else more money to come here. Yes, our very own AD said that.
    Yep, i am afraid that is the krux of the matter. As mediocre as we have been over the last few years, I dont what type of shape we would be in without Sim. We could probably barely get a decent high school coach to come...

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

Not even one game into the season and this kinda talk already. Wow

Varsity Bulldog tangidawg seems to have something between the earstangidawg seems to have something between the earstangidawg seems to have something between the earstangidawg seems to have something between the earstangidawg seems to have something between the earstangidawg seems to have something between the earstangidawg seems to have something between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE collar View Post
    Not even one game into the season and this kinda talk already. Wow
    Thats why I hated to post it. Maybe they will exceed all expectations and win the WAC!

Maybe they will exceed all expectations and win the WAC!
    They will surely try to!

+ Reply to Thread