+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10 mph cushion

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: 10 mph cushion

It's weird......our speed limits are about the same today as they were in the 1950's. Never mind the fact that today's roads and highways are much better, the vehicles we drive are much safer, and the safety equipment we use (seat belts, airbags, etc.....) are 100 times better than what we had in the 1950's. Go figure.

HD

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    It's weird......our speed limits are about the same today as they were in the 1950's. Never mind the fact that today's roads and highways are much better, the vehicles we drive are much safer, and the safety equipment we use (seat belts, airbags, etc.....) are 100 times better than what we had in the 1950's. Go figure.

HD
    Yeah, but all the drivers born after the 1950s just don't have a clue, HD.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Yeah, but all the drivers born after the 1950s just don't have a clue, HD.
    And those born significantly BEFORE the 50's have been become clueless too.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    And those born significantly BEFORE the 50's have been become clueless too.
    Of course!:icon_wink:
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Drove over 600 miles into west Texas yesterday...

Do people who spend 50K for a vehicle realize they have a cruise control?

I'm beginning to agree with the no cell phone while driving deal.

Champ Bill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post

I agree with you. I spend two hours a day on I-20 and I can't figure out why the jackass passes me and a couple of miles down the road I have to pass him. Then there's the jackasses who speed up when you try to pass them like it's some sort of race. I won't even get in to my opinion on most "Professional" truck drivers.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

HD
    IMO, the speed limit enforcement is all about making money. If it was really about safety, speeding tickets would be much higher and they would have a better method of catching people. They pull over enough to make the money they need but not enough to put a dent in the number of people speeding.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

HD
    We live in a police state. The traffic laws are set up that one can be "legitimately stopped" at any time. The "authorities" know that if the people in a city like Dallas strictly followed the speed limit, the traffic would be so bad that the system would shut down. Yet, they keep the speed limits artificially low so they can pick and choose who they want to stop. Instant and constant probable cause.

Watch this video of what happens when the speed limit is strictlyobeyed.
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

IF they were truly worried about safety, they would be more concerned about cell phone use than a .08 BAC. Study after study has shown that a driver is more impaired by cell phone use. But we don't have MACD (mothers' against cellphone driving) yet so the legislators aren't too interested. MADD and the fed mandates tied to the road money have driven the incessant tinkering with the DWI laws in Louisiana. Don't get me wrong, if a driver is truly impaired, they should be hammered by the justice system. But our lawmakers, as they often do, are missing the bigger picture.

I guarantee almost every driver you see that is driving at an erratic speed on the Interstate or drifting across the center-line in the middle of the day has a cellphone attached to his ear. And bluetooth doesn't significantly change their performance.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    IF they were truly worried about safety, they would be more concerned about cell phone use than a .08 BAC. Study after study has shown that a driver is more impaired by cell phone use. But we don't have MACD (mothers' against cellphone driving) yet so the legislators aren't too interested. MADD and the fed mandates tied to the road money have driven the incessant tinkering with the DWI laws in Louisiana. Don't get me wrong, if a driver is truly impaired, they should be hammered by the justice system. But our lawmakers, as they often do, are missing the bigger picture.

I guarantee almost every driver you see that is driving at an erratic speed on the Interstate or drifting across the center-line in the middle of the day has a cellphone attached to his ear. And bluetooth doesn't significantly change their performance.
    Ever been involved in a cell phone discussion while driving and realize you have just traveled many miles with no recall of a certain stop signs, lights, or intersections?

I have. Imagine how bad it is for folks who can't multi-task like me.:icon_wink:

Seriously, it is scary to think about.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Ever been involved in a cell phone discussion while driving and realize you have just traveled many miles with no recall of a certain stop signs, lights, or intersections?

I have. Imagine how bad it is for folks who can't multi-task like me.:icon_wink:

Seriously, it is scary to think about.
    Thank your guardian angel.

Champ 1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    IF they were truly worried about safety, they would be more concerned about cell phone use than a .08 BAC. Study after study has shown that a driver is more impaired by cell phone use. But we don't have MACD (mothers' against cellphone driving) yet so the legislators aren't too interested. MADD and the fed mandates tied to the road money have driven the incessant tinkering with the DWI laws in Louisiana.
    You aren't a criminal defense attorney, are you?? :icon_wink:

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

What is ridiculous is the long stretch of I-20 in rural East Alabama where the speed limit is 55. It makes absolutely no sense.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Varsity Bulldog HounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the rough
    Shreveport / Destin / Toledo Bend/Grand Isle

Radar is a wierd and INACCURATE piece of equipment at times. Some don't differentiate between direction of targets (oncoming or outgoing) and thus the officer can write the wrong motorist...especially in small towns using the Kustom Signal HR12 moving handheld. Was dinged by one in AR last year and it was thrown out when I asked the judge if he knew how it worked. I DID and ripped the cop a new one when he wrote me at 35 in a 25. I produced a video I made with a similar unit:

(1) showing 35mph when no one was around....with the only moving matter being the fan in my AC. As I adjusted the fan speed, a strange thing happened. The speed reading changed fom 9 mph to 35 as I increased and lowered the blower speed. DING!!!

(2) In stationary mode it clocked a pickup moving away that was larger and not as sleek as my Lucerne. Then my constant SLOWER speed miracously showed up on the screen when I was the only motorist in view. DING!

DISMISSED with prejudice toward a in your face know it all.

DO not depend on a radar/laser detector or jammer. Instant on radar will let your device know that you have just been nailed by a cash cow. If you have one....remove it discretely from the windshield when stopped and you MIGHT have a shot at only a warning from the LSP. Don't play dumb when stopped...apologize. NEVER admit you were going 75 if he says you were doing 80. 75 is 5 over and a VIOLATION that you JUST admitted to. NEVER try a jammer. They do not work.

Small towns use radar as their primary revenue source so SLOW down before the signs. Barney Fife's word against yours, with HIS judge, automatically gets you a guilty verdict if you dare protest. Ask to pay court costs and fines - that you would appreciate them not turning you into the state computer which makes your insurance rates rise. They only want the money and will usually comply.

Beware of insurance company donations of radar units to local governments. That guarantees rates will rise when more tickets are written and applied to larger numbers of driving records. Those firms make millions off of five or six donated $1800 radar units over a five year period.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    What is ridiculous is the long stretch of I-20 in rural East Alabama where the speed limit is 55. It makes absolutely no sense.
    Rock slides and bad weather gnarl that thing up tremendously. I've seen some bad stuff along that stretch of road.

+ Reply to Thread