+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A 1944 Christmas miracle for Gen. Patton

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar

A 1944 Christmas miracle for Gen. Patton

The World War II general's holiday greeting to troops in Europe that winter included a prayer entreating God to end the rains that were bogging down the United States' 3rd Army.
    By Alison Bell

In early December 1944, Gen. George S. Patton Jr., commander of the United States' 3rd Army, stood with his troops at Germany's doorstep. He'd pushed his men across France toward Germany with furious speed during summer and early fall, but in the last months, as he drove through France's Lorraine region toward the Saar River, progress stalled. Fuel and supplies were running short, and perhaps even more deviling, the weather wouldn't cooperate. Driving rains had mired his troops and grounded the fighter planes and bombers needed for air support.

On Dec. 8, Patton turned to a higher power to clear the skies. He asked Chaplain James H. O'Neill if he knew of a "good prayer for the weather," according to military historian and Patton expert Kevin M. Hymel. "We must do something about these rains," Patton said, "if we are to win the war."

After some thought and research, O'Neill came up with...

You can read the rest here: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec...-then-20101226

Champ ddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond repute ddgravy's Avatar

Re: A 1944 Christmas miracle for Gen. Patton

Another reason to admire Gen. Patton

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by StrongBad View Post
    The World War II general's holiday greeting to troops in Europe that winter included a prayer entreating God to end the rains that were bogging down the United States' 3rd Army.
    By Alison Bell

In early December 1944, Gen. George S. Patton Jr., commander of the United States' 3rd Army, stood with his troops at Germany's doorstep. He'd pushed his men across France toward Germany with furious speed during summer and early fall, but in the last months, as he drove through France's Lorraine region toward the Saar River, progress stalled. Fuel and supplies were running short, and perhaps even more deviling, the weather wouldn't cooperate. Driving rains had mired his troops and grounded the fighter planes and bombers needed for air support.

On Dec. 8, Patton turned to a higher power to clear the skies. He asked Chaplain James H. O'Neill if he knew of a "good prayer for the weather," according to military historian and Patton expert Kevin M. Hymel. "We must do something about these rains," Patton said, "if we are to win the war."

After some thought and research, O'Neill came up with...

You can read the rest here: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec...-then-20101226
    Cool story. These comments/questions listed below from the article, by Patton expert Kevin Hymel, are very naive and astounding to me. Hymel obviously wasn't familiar with the "power of prayer" to the one true God.

"Throughout history, soldiers have called upon their gods for protection and victory over their enemies. But Patton's now legendary prayer was extraordinary in its presumption and audacity, said Hymel. "There were four other American commanders in the European Theater during that time, and none of them were asking God to fix the weather."
    The prayer also makes one question what led Patton to his conviction that he could control the weather? Some clues might be found in his privileged upbringing in what is now San Marino.
    "As a child, if he asked for something, he got it," Hymel said. "Patton got the message early on, if you ask, you will receive."

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Cool story. These comments/questions listed below from the article, by Patton expert Kevin Hymel, are very naive and astounding to me. Hymel obviously wasn't familiar with the "power of prayer" to the one true God.
    There have been a few times in my life where I had to pray because the current direction could not be changed and would not be changed without devine intervention. Miraculously my prayers were answered exactly how I asked them to be. I didn't just pray though. I gave up anything that would distract me from God's presence (e.g. workouts, facebook, and whatever else) until my prayer was answered. I had to sacrifice and pray. I'd hit my knees in reverence each time I prayed because I knew that if I were in an uncomfortable position, I would continue in prayer until I was finished and avoid having my mind trail off with other thoughts. It wasn't my hardwork that answered my prayer, it was God's graciousness. If anyone has not tried it, they should.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by StrongBad View Post
    There have been a few times in my life where I had to pray because the current direction could not be changed and would not be changed without devine intervention. Miraculously my prayers were answered exactly how I asked them to be. I didn't just pray though. I gave up anything that would distract me from God's presence (e.g. workouts, facebook, and whatever else) until my prayer was answered. I had to sacrifice and pray. I'd hit my knees in reverence each time I prayed because I knew that if I were in an uncomfortable position, I would continue in prayer until I was finished and avoid having my mind trail off with other thoughts. It wasn't my hardwork that answered my prayer, it was God's graciousness. If anyone has not tried it, they should.
    +1000 So true!

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

lol
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

+ Reply to Thread