+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MWC eyes Texas Schools

Varsity Bulldog roedawg is just really niceroedawg is just really niceroedawg is just really niceroedawg is just really niceroedawg is just really niceroedawg is just really niceroedawg is just really niceroedawg is just really niceroedawg is just really niceroedawg is just really niceroedawg is just really nice

MWC eyes Texas Schools

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Re: MWC eyes Texas Schools

UTEP is geographically the best fit for the MWC and has a history with them, but Houston and SMU are more attractive in the other ways. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. Our fate more or less hinges on what they do.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Wow! What could have been if the WAC had remained relevant. Swapping La Tech for UTEP. That would have been great.

Champ DQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to behold

Two comments/questions. #1 Why are the MWC "leaks" coming thru Honolulu, home town of the NEWEST addition??? This is about the third article I've seen on MWC expansion out of that Honolulu paper. #2 MWC ain't staying at 10!!! #3 and I'm betting that Houston DOESN'T want in the new WAC-faced MWC, but the BIG 12 just like SMU. The BIG 12 "leftovers" are going to get prepared for the next time the TeaSips and Suuuunnners threaten to leave.

I guess that's more than two items. Plus I am convinced that the MWC and C-USA continue to be in a "nail the WAC's tail to the floor" mood.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DQDawg View Post
    Two comments/questions. #1 Why are the MWC "leaks" coming thru Honolulu, home town of the NEWEST addition??? This is about the third article I've seen on MWC expansion out of that Honolulu paper. #2 MWC ain't staying at 10!!! #3 and I'm betting that Houston DOESN'T want in the new WAC-faced MWC, but the BIG 12 just like SMU. The BIG 12 "leftovers" are going to get prepared for the next time the TeaSips and Suuuunnners threaten to leave.

I guess that's more than two items. Plus I am convinced that the MWC and C-USA continue to be in a "nail the WAC's tail to the floor" mood.
    I am sure they want in the B12, but unless they have some inside info, there would be no harm in heading to MWC while they wait. I still think it will be UTEP and not SMU, though. SMU is IN the same market as TCU, but does not come even close to replacing TCU. Houston brings a good market. UTEP brings a decent market and geography. My guess is still:
    UTEP and USU to MWC
    Houston in CUSA until Big East calls
    Tech to CUSA, along with a surprise - not UNT.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

I hope you are right Champ110 and it is some good info you are working off of instead of pure optimism!
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

As I have said elsewhere, I'd be surprised if UH accepts an MWC invite at this juncture unless the Big East (pretty unlikely, but not impossible) is *completely* ruled out or if it looks like SMU might bolt without us. I think we'd really like to be with TCU, but absent that sticking with SMU is preferable to Rice or the MWC without SMU. But some of it depends on economics.

I'm not sure how SMU would feel about it. Right now they're with a bunch of like-minded schools and in a conference division where they are a good fit. I'm not sure they would be enthusiastic to give that up. Or maybe that's why they would want to leave, if they feel the need to differentiate themselves. I am thinking to get either SMU or Houston, they probably need to convince us both, though.

I'm not sure if UTEP goes, to be honest. Their program was in the dumps when they were in the WAC and has (modestly, I grant) improved in C*USA. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure they would like to be back with New Mexico. And the money is better. So I'm not sure what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Tech to CUSA, along with a surprise - not UNT.
    Not sure what to make of this. If C*USA loses only one team, I'm not sure why we bring two on. Or is the surprise for when/if UH (or UCF or ECU) gets the call to the Big East?
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Factual error in the story...TCU does not leave for the Big East until NEXT summer.

Hope the Honolulu paper keeps these MWC stories coming....the more Hawai'i thinks about MWC and the less about the WAC the better over the next 18 months.

Guest student0003 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timestudent0003 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timestudent0003 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timestudent0003 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timestudent0003 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timestudent0003 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timestudent0003 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timestudent0003 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timestudent0003 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timestudent0003 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timestudent0003 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by parialex View Post
    As I have said elsewhere, I'd be surprised if UH accepts an MWC invite at this juncture unless the Big East (pretty unlikely, but not impossible) is *completely* ruled out or if it looks like SMU might bolt without us. I think we'd really like to be with TCU, but absent that sticking with SMU is preferable to Rice or the MWC without SMU. But some of it depends on economics.

I'm not sure how SMU would feel about it. Right now they're with a bunch of like-minded schools and in a conference division where they are a good fit. I'm not sure they would be enthusiastic to give that up. Or maybe that's why they would want to leave, if they feel the need to differentiate themselves. I am thinking to get either SMU or Houston, they probably need to convince us both, though.

I'm not sure if UTEP goes, to be honest. Their program was in the dumps when they were in the WAC and has (modestly, I grant) improved in C*USA. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure they would like to be back with New Mexico. And the money is better. So I'm not sure what they do.

Not sure what to make of this. If C*USA loses only one team, I'm not sure why we bring two on. Or is the surprise for when/if UH (or UCF or ECU) gets the call to the Big East?

The Big East will absolutely not take Houston under any circumstances. Villanova is being groomed for the next addition. Though the MWC covets a Texas team, they won't get either of the ones they want. They can only take one since Utah St is automatic. The Texas teams they would like to choose from will be Houston/SMU but the one they'll likely get is UTEP only if UTEP agrees. If UTEP doesn't, then its bye bye Tulsa from CUSA. Actually, that is the best scenario for Tech.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by student0003 View Post
    The Big East will absolutely not take Houston under any circumstances. Villanova is being groomed for the next addition. Though the MWC covets a Texas team, they won't get either of the ones they want. They can only take one since Utah St is automatic. The Texas teams they would like to choose from will be Houston/SMU but the one they'll likely get is UTEP only if UTEP agrees. If UTEP doesn't, then its bye bye Tulsa from CUSA. Actually, that is the best scenario for Tech.
    I think UTEP is more likely to accept an invite than Tulsa. As for UH and the Big East, Villanova is a given as #10, but if they go to 12 we're well positioned among the four or so candidates that are regularly mentioned. Will they go to 12? I think it unlikely, but not impossible.
    University of Houston '01. Any references to "we" or "us" likely refer to UH. Cheers!

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Nova isn't gonna be ready in time. The BE will add another team (s). I think it's far more likely that our spot comes via movement in the east b/c I see no evidence that any CUSA-W teams have an interest in the MWC.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Guest student0003 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timestudent0003 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timestudent0003 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timestudent0003 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timestudent0003 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timestudent0003 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timestudent0003 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timestudent0003 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timestudent0003 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timestudent0003 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timestudent0003 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

There will be no further football expansion without Nova.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by student0003 View Post
    There will be no further football expansion without Nova.
    Wanna bet? The 12/20 model is the goal because it hedges them against Big 10 (+2) and ACC raids.

Nova is not going to be able to commit to moving up in the current economic climate.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Geographically speaking, UTEP definitely belongs in the MWC. They are directly south of UNM and they are further west than Colorado St, Air Force, and Wyoming.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Wanna bet? The 12/20 model is the goal because it hedges them against Big 10 (+2) and ACC raids.

Nova is not going to be able to commit to moving up in the current economic climate.

The Big 10 has already eased those fears by stating that they no plans for further expansion in the near future.

+ Reply to Thread