+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alumni Bricks

Champ rockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond repute

Alumni Bricks

Does anyone know why there hasn't been any new alumni bricks in forever? I have waited to see new bricks for a while, but I haven't seen any new classes lately. I want to see my brick personally, and I know my wife wants to see hers.

Does anyone have any word/update/anything....?

Champ parisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond repute parisdog's Avatar

Re: Alumni Bricks

I've been asking this question for 10 years now. Still no response from Tech. Just another mickey mouse operation.

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

I did a search on here for "alumni bricks." There were several threads. This was one of them.
    http://www.latechbbb.com/forum/showt...=alumni+bricks

Apparently this has been discussed on here since 2006.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

This is one of the topics that's discussed ad nauseam, basically it boils down to we don't have enough bricks to make it from Wisteria to the crossing at Hale. Once we do then that section will be done, doing it in smaller junks is wasteful and can end up damaging previously laid bricks.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

The bricks are a great idea, but I think at some point they need to cut it off. It will simply become too much with a couple thousand people graduating every year. I dont know how much it costs (guessing pretty expensive), but the space requirement is my main concern.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

I don't think you ever cut it off. Figure out a way to make it work. They should have anticipated all this stuff before they ever started. It's too late to turn back now.

The University of Arkansas featured it's similar recognition of UA grads in the video they played during the
    Sugar Bowl.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    I don't think you ever cut it off. Figure out a way to make it work. They should have anticipated all this stuff before they ever started. It's too late to turn back now.

The University of Arkansas featured it's similar recognition of UA grads in the video they played during the
    Sugar Bowl.
    It is never too late, just cut it off at a clean year (2000) and move on with life. If it is this hard to get it going, better to just drop it. It is a great idea, but to knock down a few g's worth of bricks every years and find the space for them in a small town with a small campus and to find an aesthetically pleasing place to put them seems like an impossibility at some point. I guess we could always build up (ie have cases that hold the bricks like the Vietnam Memorial or something). I just dont know if it is worth it. The bricks are a great idea, but the issues seem to be snowballing us.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    It is never too late, just cut it off at a clean year (2000) and move on with life. If it is this hard to get it going, better to just drop it. It is a great idea, but to knock down a few g's worth of bricks every years and find the space for them in a small town with a small campus and to find an aesthetically pleasing place to put them seems like an impossibility at some point. I guess we could always build up (ie have cases that hold the bricks like the Vietnam Memorial or something). I just dont know if it is worth it. The bricks are a great idea, but the issues seem to be snowballing us.
    There is a lot of sidewalk space on that campus. It'd be years and years before that's a problem.

It's kind of annoying that you've got to wait ten years to get enough new graduates to make it worth doing (to avoid the problem that Germdawg mentioned), but I can't see that space in an issue at all.

They should just set a schedule, pick the spots, and every 10 or 15 years repave a little stretch of pavement. The Quad alone ought to cover us through the next 50 years at least.

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

When I was still there, there was talk of removing wisteria, and having the bricks cross it, and go towards Hale. I think the problem is removing Wisteria. The idea was to have a vehicle-less main campus, from Hale-Woodard to CAB-Keeny-Bogard. Plans may have changed though.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Sugar Bowl.
    On the UofArk campus the bricks are all over the place. VERY IMPRESSIVE!

Our bricks don't have to follow a straight line.

Just whereever the civil engineering class researches and recommends that we put them. Yeah, a community service project by the civil engineers. . . hint . . . hint.:icon_wink:
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Sugar Bowl.
    Here is the 2008 class of Arkansas. No bricks, they chisel your name in the concrete.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by splicer View Post
    When I was still there, there was talk of removing wisteria, and having the bricks cross it, and go towards Hale. I think the problem is removing Wisteria. The idea was to have a vehicle-less main campus, from Hale-Woodard to CAB-Keeny-Bogard. Plans may have changed though.
    Last plan, and theirs a pic somewhere with the drawings, was to close the North half of Wisteria, have the bricks cross go up past Hale, a blank section crossing the street and walking bridge, then start in UP, zig zag around, blank section crossing Alabama, zig-zag through northern UP up to Lambright, estimate was that it would take 100+ years and by as Doc Brown say's "We don't need roads" and they can just go back up Tech drive

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    The bricks are a great idea, but I think at some point they need to cut it off. It will simply become too much with a couple thousand people graduating every year. I dont know how much it costs (guessing pretty expensive), but the space requirement is my main concern.
    And we should also get something frugal for recruiting:

The bricks, and other unique aesthetics, are what help to build tradition and culture. The cost is a drop in the bucket considering what they add to the character of the campus. Good comment for Bossier Parish Community College . . . not so much for Louisiana Tech UNIVERSITY.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    Last plan, and theirs a pic somewhere with the drawings, was to close the North half of Wisteria, have the bricks cross go up past Hale, a blank section crossing the street and walking bridge, then start in UP, zig zag around, blank section crossing Alabama, zig-zag through northern UP up to Lambright, estimate was that it would take 100+ years and by as Doc Brown say's "We don't need roads" and they can just go back up Tech drive
    They should just go ahead and do it already.

+ Reply to Thread