+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Run Up the Score Much?

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar

Run Up the Score Much?

108-3? Did Christian Heritage do the right thing?

108-3. It's a score both astonishing and regrettable. That was the final outcome in Christian Heritage's girls basketball victory over West Ridge Academy this past week.

"Absolutely, I mean who wouldn't regret that?" said Crusaders head coach Rob McGill.

The Crusaders say they weren't deliberately trying to run up the score on West Ridge, a school for at-risk youth. In fact, Christian Heritage administrators apologized to West Ridge for the 105-point margin. However, McGill said it would have been more disrespectful if he had called off the dogs.

Read more at: http://www.abc4.com/sports/story/108...Ce1zYErwQ.cspx

Big Dog kdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of lightkdk008 is a glorious beacon of light

Re: Run Up the Score Much?

Grambling beat Serepta 100-5 last friday...

Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to be like this.....but if I was getting the score run up on me like this when I was their age, some of their players would not finish the game. That is so bush league!!!

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux Dawgs View Post
    I hate to be like this.....but if I was getting the score run up on me like this when I was their age, some of their players would not finish the game. That is so bush league!!!

This situation has been discussed over and over again but really, what would do if you were Grambling's coach? Would you run the clock down then deliberately turn the ball over? Do you tell your players not to shoot even if they're your 3rd string or worse? Do you tell your players not to play defense? What do you do? Not trying to stir things up but seriously, what do you do when you totally outclass your opponent?

In H.S. football, I've heard of a running clock when the score gets out of hand but I'm not certain if that is available in basketball. Can you really expect you kids not to play hard? What about your worst player having a great night? Do you tell him to turn it off.

If the other team is show-boating and such and rubbing it in your face while running up the score, I could see a player getting frustrated and angry. But, if you're getting beat by a superior team that was not doing that, why take it out on them when you and your teammates are basically stinking up the place. If your team was to get in a confrontation with the other team, who looks classless then?

This situation seems to happen over and over again and I have heard both sides of the argument but there doesn't appear to be a consensus answer on what to do.
    Last edited by LABulldog; 01-28-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LABulldog View Post
    This situation has been discussed over and over again but really, what would do if you were Grambling's coach? Would you run the clock down then deliberately turn the ball over? Do you tell your players not to shoot even if they're your 3rd string or worse? Do you tell your players not to play defense? What do you do? Not trying to stir things up but seriously, what do you do when you totally outclass your opponent?

In H.S. football, I've heard of a running clock when the score gets out of hand but I'm not certain if that is available in basketball. Can you really expect you kids not to play hard? What about your worst player having a great night? Do you tell him to turn it off.

If the other team is show-boating and such and rubbing it in your face while running up the score, I could see a player getting frustrated and angry. But, if you're getting beat buy a superior team that was not doing that, why take it out on them when you and your teammates are basically stinking up the place. If your team was to get in a confrontation with the other team, who looks classless then?

This situation seems to happen over and over again and I have heard both sides of the argument but there doesn't appear to be a consensus answer on what to do.
    There is running the score up because you do not want to show some other team up, but winning by 100 in basketball takes effort.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux Dawgs View Post
    There is running the score up because you do not want to show some other team up, but winning by 100 in basketball takes effort.
    I can sort of see both sides of it. In the article the coach asserts that not running his offense is more insulting than running up the score. I, on the other hand, thing games like this give you an opportunity to work on some of your weaknesses, develop some younger talent, and let some of your wallflowers have a chance to shine.

I kind of agree with him, though, in that if he told his players to conduct passing drills to eat up clock time, that would probably have looked even worse. But slowing the tempo down couldn't have hurt.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Don't shoot until there is only 2-3 seconds on the shot clock, play a base zone defense (no attempting to steal), and after it is obvious that you have the game in hand (20-30 point lead), play one starter and the four subs the rest of the game. There will be other games to give the subs more "real game" experience. I do not see it as disrespectful to slow the game down and play at a deliberate pace. High school games are what, 32 minutes long? That is a lot of shots (and quick) to get to 100+. Wonder how many they scored in the 4th?

Champ KDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    Don't shoot until there is only 2-3 seconds on the shot clock, play a base zone defense (no attempting to steal), and after it is obvious that you have the game in hand (20-30 point lead), play one starter and the four subs the rest of the game. There will be other games to give the subs more "real game" experience. I do not see it as disrespectful to slow the game down and play at a deliberate pace. High school games are what, 32 minutes long? That is a lot of shots (and quick) to get to 100+. Wonder how many they scored in the 4th?
    there is no shot clock in high school

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KDawg33 View Post
    there is no shot clock in high school

Thought there was. Shows how long it has been since I went to one. So pass the ball for 25 seconds and then shoot....

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite, but it's almost as bad as beating the sox off your 8 year old kid in a game of half-court just to show him how much better you are than he is. I guess everyone has to deal with much lesser opponents in their own way .... then learn from it.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

This topic surfaces every now and then when a game like 108-3 makes the news.

I have always felt that competitors owe it to themselves and to the sport to keep playing at a certain level....no matter the score of a particular game.

YES! the coach of the winning team should:
    1) clear his bench, play all his 3rd stringers
    2) maybe "work" on some things i.e. use the 2nd half as a practice session
    3) LOOK like he's trying not to RUS

My summer girls' team met a buzzsaw in a tourney and we trailed 39-0 at halftime. Yes...NOTHING! The only issue I had with their chitty azzhole coach was his running his mouth and shouting to his players "they suck" "this team (us) isn't worthy to be on the floor with us" and other such stupid comments.

But! a great thing happened! the heretofore neutral crowd got behind my girls and started cheering 'em on. When we scored (making it 42-3, at that point) the crowd went nuts. Mixed in that were some mock cheers, like yay! they finally scored, but it grew into a genuine rooting for my kids. We lost something like 75-35. But, my kids GREW a lot from that game. We won our next game...

That coach refused to shake hands after the game and had more derogatory things to say. I filed a complaint with the tourny organizers, who did rebuke and warn the coach about watching his mouth. I'm not one to whine/complain and had he said something to me, only! out of earshot of my players, I could have handled that. But his loud rantings during the game, belittling my kids....nah! He's lucky I didn't punch him out. I thought about it...

Champ KDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really niceKDawg33 is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    Thought there was. Shows how long it has been since I went to one. So pass the ball for 25 seconds and then shoot....

Yeah some final high school scores are like 6-3. They will just hold the ball the whole quarter and get the last shot of the quarter.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Then there's always the argument of "it's girl's basketball, so who really cares?"

+ Reply to Thread