+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Board of Regents Identifies Underperforming Programs for Termination

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Board of Regents Identifies Underperforming Programs for Termination

Sorry if I missed the explanation. I don't have time to read everything. Is this an effort to reduce the number of schools that offer certain degrees so that we don't have too many duplicate programs across the state?

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Sorry if I missed the explanation. I don't have time to read everything. Is this an effort to reduce the number of schools that offer certain degrees so that we don't have too many duplicate programs across the state?
    That's what they say, but that's not what they are doing. Instead of looking at duplicate programs, they are just looking at low completer programs. All they are doing is consolidating specialized degrees into more general degrees with various concentrations. This doesn't eliminate any faculty or departments, and therefore, does not save any money. Apparently they are trying to make it appear like they are making cuts when they are really just renaming degrees.

There are 2 aviation programs in Louisiana: Tech and ULM. Tech graduates 20 students per year, and ULM graduates 10 students per year. However, ULM's aviation program is not identified as a program under review for termination because they graduate just over the 8 graduate average. The state should eliminate ULM's aviation department and send their students to Tech. That's how you save money by eliminating duplicate programs.

Varsity Bulldog Dr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her gameDr Twister is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    That's what they say, but that's not what they are doing. Instead of looking at duplicate programs, they are just looking at low completer programs. All they are doing is consolidating specialized degrees into more general degrees with various concentrations. This doesn't eliminate any faculty or departments, and therefore, does not save any money. Apparently they are trying to make it appear like they are making cuts when they are really just renaming degrees.

There are 2 aviation programs in Louisiana: Tech and ULM. Tech graduates 20 students per year, and ULM graduates 10 students per year. However, ULM's aviation program is not identified as a program under review for termination because they graduate just over the 8 graduate average. The state should eliminate ULM's aviation department and send their students to Tech. That's how you save money by eliminating duplicate programs.

That's one program I wouldn't mind seeing the two schools join together as a joint program. Neither the Monroe airport or the Ruston Airport are really true icons that are something to be proud of. I wish the two cities could have came to some sort of compromise like the Laurel-Hattiesburg airport where both cities support a single airport.

In regards to saving money through consolidation, they actually will save cost administratively

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Twister View Post
    That's one program I wouldn't mind seeing the two schools join together as a joint program. Neither the Monroe airport or the Ruston Airport are really true icons that are something to be proud of. I wish the two cities could have came to some sort of compromise like the Laurel-Hattiesburg airport where both cities support a single airport.

In regards to saving money through consolidation, they actually will save cost administratively
    Sorry, but the two programs aren't even close to comparable.

Tech owns 12 Aircraft, has 6 faculty members, over 150 students, and produces pilots from Private Pilot - Certificated Flight Instructor. This is in addition to an Aviation Management degree program. It graduates well over 20 per year. It is FAA Part 141 Certified, which allows student fees to be used for flight training.

ULM does NOT own any aircraft, has ONE faculty member, and contracts Monroe air center (2 airplanes) to conduct flight training, which is mostly optional from what I understand. Graduation rate is accurate though. Part 61, unstructured.

We produce pilots with Tech Faculty, Tech Flight Instructors, in Tech Airplanes. We are the the largest fixed-wing school in the STATE. We are one of about 40 Accredited university schools in the WORLD. ULM is not. I don't know the numbers statewide, but I'm 99% sure no school produces more flight instructors or commercial pilots.

Be very proud of our aviation program. It is (sadly) one of the best-kept secrets at Tech.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LATechBanjo View Post
    Be very proud of our aviation program. It is (sadly) one of the best-kept secrets at Tech.

One of my friends, a TECH alum, recently enrolled his son in the aviation program for the fall. After visiting Texas A&M, they were blown away by our program. No comparison in their words

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LATechBanjo View Post
    Sorry, but the two programs aren't even close to comparable.

Tech owns 12 Aircraft, has 6 faculty members, over 150 students, and produces pilots from Private Pilot - Certificated Flight Instructor. This is in addition to an Aviation Management degree program. It graduates well over 20 per year. It is FAA Part 141 Certified, which allows student fees to be used for flight training.

ULM does NOT own any aircraft, has ONE faculty member, and contracts Monroe air center (2 airplanes) to conduct flight training, which is mostly optional from what I understand. Graduation rate is accurate though. Part 61, unstructured.

We produce pilots with Tech Faculty, Tech Flight Instructors, in Tech Airplanes. We are the the largest fixed-wing school in the STATE. We are one of about 40 Accredited university schools in the WORLD. ULM is not. I don't know the numbers statewide, but I'm 99% sure no school produces more flight instructors or commercial pilots.

Good info.. How many simulators do we have and what types? Years ago nlulm touted the simulator(s) they had on hand, but I haven't read anything about them in years.

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Good info.. How many simulators do we have and what types? Years ago nlulm touted the simulator(s) they had on hand, but I haven't read anything about them in years.
    We have 2 Sims:
    1 Level 6 Flight Training Device. It's four years old and is a full mockup of the aircraft we train in. http://www.latech.edu/aviation/facilities.shtml The quality of it is such that it can be used to substitute well over 40% of flight training in instrument and commerical courses.

The other sim is a FRASCA G1000 Mentor, which allows students to learn the new glass cockpit technology. The FTD is not type-specific, but is still extremely useful.

They have a level 3 FTD, which is not representative of type. I think it has motion, but is not qualified as highly as ours because it is not type-specific. I don't know what else they have.

The big deal is that their flight program is not accredited.

+ Reply to Thread